Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Selling Carroll was the very definition of cashing in. As it happens that has been a massive 'success' for us given the ludicrous fee and the fact he's been gash for what is now our closest competitor. Enrique clearly wanted to go once it became obvious we weren't willing to pay what he wanted and he'd had his head turned by the same club. Whilst I wasn't happy at the time about Nolan and Barton being allowed to leave, it was clearly much easier to replace aging midfielders for whom the only way was down.

I continue to worry that the club will see the Carroll deal as proof that we can easily replace other top players in their prime like Tiote and Ba, and the Enrique deal as proof that we can cope even without proper replacements.

Though there seems to be a never ending debate of Santon's real position, why don't you see him as the replacement for Enrique? In fact we made almost no profit from the sell Enrique buy Santon deal. 

Pardew has said privately and publically (I think, although he may have contradicted this) that Santon was bought to play RB.

Noticeable that he went to right midfield today when he came on rather than left back with Jonas pushed into midfield.

Still contributing to the team, not worried in the slightest about his performances. If we did rest him though would be nice to stick Barfa on the left for a game. Don't see the need to rest him at the moment, it will be his turn to get subbed at 70/ 75 next week for Shola.

He had another good game, he just looks tired to me though. Why Cisse was subbed on a hat-trick and Ba was made to complete another 90 is anyone's guess.

Because Cisse got cramp in both legs last week

Or because we were cruising and Pardew probably left Ba on in the hope that he would grab himself a goal.

That's fair enough reasoning, but do you not think he starts to wane in the final 20-25 minutes (aka Shola Time)?

Or because we were cruising and Pardew probably left Ba on in the hope that he would grab himself a goal.

That's fair enough reasoning, but do you not think he starts to wane in the final 20-25 minutes (aka Shola Time)?

Ba next week, Pardew planning on rotating the front three with Shola it's been Barfa, then Cisse, next up Ba. Good option to keep everyone relatively fresh.