Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Selling Carroll was the very definition of cashing in. As it happens that has been a massive 'success' for us given the ludicrous fee and the fact he's been gash for what is now our closest competitor. Enrique clearly wanted to go once it became obvious we weren't willing to pay what he wanted and he'd had his head turned by the same club. Whilst I wasn't happy at the time about Nolan and Barton being allowed to leave, it was much easier to replace aging midfielders for whom the only way was down.

I continue to worry that the club will see the Carroll deal as proof that we can easily replace other top players in their prime like Tiote and Ba, and the Enrique deal as proof that we can cope even without proper replacements.

Agree with the above, and would add in the centre-back situation to the 'proper replacements' line. How we've coped with just two recognised centre-backs for nearly half a season is spectacularly fortunate IMO. Another gamble that has paid off (fiscally speaking, in that there was no further outlay in January) but that does not justify it as a good bet, or good decision-making at the top.

Where do you draw the line between selling for profit and a ridiculous deal, for example with Tiote, or Ba?

about 25mill for tiote and i don't think we have the choice for ba if the clause stories are true.

Where do you draw the line between selling for profit and a ridiculous deal, for example with Tiote, or Ba?

about 25mill for tiote and i don't think we have the choice for ba if the clause stories are true.

So if Chelsea offered say £15m for Tiote and we accepted it, you'd criticise the club? Come off it. :lol:

So if Chelsea offered say £15m for Tiote and we accepted it, you'd criticise the club? Come off it. :lol:

i'd say we sold him cheap.

same

really don't think we'd accept that

He looked absolutely shagged after about 65 minutes like. Had we not needed to replace Coloccini and Cisse I like to think he'd have come off, he's played so many 90 minute games lately. He needs a rest at some point.

I agree. Like Shola, only not to the same degree, there's an issue with his stamina. We shouldn't be expecting to get 90 minutes out of him.

We should be like. If he has a problem with stamina he needs to work hard on it.

same

really don't think we'd accept that

Yh over the 5-6 years his contract is probably not worth that  :lol:

25M or GTFO ! is my motto

I see Ba as a different case to most players because of his circumstances.

He started playing football quite late (about 20 I think) and knows that his career could be ended at any time.  If a club came in offering him a long contract on huge wages, I would understand if he wanted to move.

He started playing football quite late (about 20 I think) and knows that his career could be ended at any time.  If a club came in offering him a long contract on huge wages, I would understand if he wanted to move.

Eh? He was in Watford's youth team for a year as an 18 year old. Don't think he started particularly late.

Eh? He was in Watford's youth team for a year as an 18 year old. Don't think he started particularly late.

Well he has said himself that he started late for a professional footballer but I don't know how he qualifies that - first pro contract, first team squad?

He looked absolutely shagged after about 65 minutes like. Had we not needed to replace Coloccini and Cisse I like to think he'd have come off, he's played so many 90 minute games lately. He needs a rest at some point.

I agree. Like Shola, only not to the same degree, there's an issue with his stamina. We shouldn't be expecting to get 90 minutes out of him.

We should be like. If he has a problem with stamina he needs to work hard on it.

As with Shola, I think the problem is related to that tall, heavily-muscled physique of his. He can improve, but he's just not built for endurance.

Could do with a goal, not many in 2012, not for all the hype.

i'm on board with the idea of him going the rest of the season in a supporting role with hba and cisse battering them in, let interest in him cool down somewhat prior to the summer

Selling Carroll was the very definition of cashing in. As it happens that has been a massive 'success' for us given the ludicrous fee and the fact he's been gash for what is now our closest competitor. Enrique clearly wanted to go once it became obvious we weren't willing to pay what he wanted and he'd had his head turned by the same club. Whilst I wasn't happy at the time about Nolan and Barton being allowed to leave, it was clearly much easier to replace aging midfielders for whom the only way was down.

I continue to worry that the club will see the Carroll deal as proof that we can easily replace other top players in their prime like Tiote and Ba, and the Enrique deal as proof that we can cope even without proper replacements.

Though there seems to be a never ending debate of Santon's real position, why don't you see him as the replacement for Enrique? In fact we made almost no profit from the sell Enrique buy Santon deal. 

Selling Carroll was the very definition of cashing in. As it happens that has been a massive 'success' for us given the ludicrous fee and the fact he's been gash for what is now our closest competitor. Enrique clearly wanted to go once it became obvious we weren't willing to pay what he wanted and he'd had his head turned by the same club. Whilst I wasn't happy at the time about Nolan and Barton being allowed to leave, it was clearly much easier to replace aging midfielders for whom the only way was down.

Though there seems to be a never ending debate of Santon's real position, why don't you see him as the replacement for Enrique? In fact we made almost no profit from the sell Enrique buy Santon deal. 

Pardew has said privately and publically (I think, although he may have contradicted this) that Santon was bought to play RB.

I really think that we could persuade some of our stars to stay if we got two or three more quality players in early this summer. We are only two full backs and a centre half away from being a very strong team!

Re Santon, I thought he was the dog's nads at the start but I really do think he gets caught out of position far too much and flatters to deceive as this attacking full back that a few on here harp on about.

He's only young so we can teach him when and when not to take a risk going forward...

I really think that we could persuade some of our stars to stay if we got two or three more quality players in early this summer. We are only two full backs and a centre half away from being a very strong team!

We are only 2 FBs & 1 CB from being a very strong team....But still a relatively weak squad!

We are only 2 FBs & 1 CB from being a very strong team....But still a relatively weak squad!

Talking to yourself lad

Guest ThievingMagpie

Pessimist in me says he won't keep him. If that clause is true he is out the door unless we pay him £80k p/w which is something I'd rather we not do anymore unless they have really earned it and I say he has not. He has fallen off a bit scoring wise but he still is keeping himself involved, I think he might stay if we don't make the Europa League he probably will stay if we do.

80k for a player like Ba is worth... u wont find a striker as skillful as him with that wage. He is a type of striker that play behind a poacher (lurker type) ala del piero or totti & wont be top score on league... but run ragged opponent defense line up with blistering skills to setup the poacher more goal scoring opportunity.

Some of the suggestions in the media that we'll supplement the salary with a signing on fee make sense - give him 5 million signing and 50k a week and he's effectively on over 90k a week over a 5 year deal, and we're no worse on than if he goes for the 7m release clause and we have a sign an equivalent replacement for 12m + 50k a week.

Only concern then is that knee of his....