Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

I still don't see what's so great about Coloccini. He's defending moderately well on a consistent basis, he's as fit as a fiddle which is great, he's classy on the ball for a Premiership centreback - is it the entire package that is having our fans rave about him? Or that in combination with the hair/cult status?

If we're talking about pure defending, Coloccini is found wanting in a number of areas imo. His aerial clearances are s*** half the time. He rarely throws his body in an attempt to block a shot. He's pathetic at last ditch tackles. He runs out of position an awful lot to chase down a player who is posing zero threat. He's usually rooted to the ground like a tree when something unexpected happens in the box (e.g. deflection, change of direction, etc), showing very little agility. He has little to no recovery pace at all.

He's a class centreback to have, I'm not denying that, but that's for a team at our level, i.e. a mid table team performing above expectations. I don't think for a second that he's top level club/interinational material because he's nowhere near the complete defender.

What the fuck is this shit?! Best centre half the vast majority will ever see play for us!

Last ditch tackles, recovery pace and throwing your body in the way of shots = the key components of a great defender.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/LEGENDS_017.JPG

Easily the best centre half I've ever seen like. And that was when he was getting on. His performance in the '94 World Cup Final was majestic.

An interesting question actually.

Who does everyone think is the best centre half in world football at the moment? I can't say there's a name that immediately jumps out, not like in past days anyway.

An interesting question actually.

Who does everyone think is the best centre half in world football at the moment? I can't say there's a name that immediately jumps out, not like in past days anyway.

Good question. I agree there aren't many names that jump out.

Probably. Then again being a centre half in Barca's team is completely different to almost anything that has gone before. You could argue that he has it easy.

He's no Jonny Evans mind.  :cheesy:

I still don't see what's so great about Coloccini. He's defending moderately well on a consistent basis, he's as fit as a fiddle which is great, he's classy on the ball for a Premiership centreback - is it the entire package that is having our fans rave about him? Or that in combination with the hair/cult status?

If we're talking about pure defending, Coloccini is found wanting in a number of areas imo. His aerial clearances are s*** half the time. He rarely throws his body in an attempt to block a shot. He's pathetic at last ditch tackles. He runs out of position an awful lot to chase down a player who is posing zero threat. He's usually rooted to the ground like a tree when something unexpected happens in the box (e.g. deflection, change of direction, etc), showing very little agility. He has little to no recovery pace at all.

He's a class centreback to have, I'm not denying that, but that's for a team at our level, i.e. a mid table team performing above expectations. I don't think for a second that he's top level club/interinational material because he's nowhere near the complete defender.

Helmet.

It's december soon so the christmas tree's pop up everywhere now.

Probably. Then again being a centre half in Barca's team is completely different to almost anything that has gone before. You could argue that he has it easy.

Piss easy being a current World and European Champion aswell as a La Liga and Champions League holder.

Piss easy being a current World and European Champion aswell as a La Liga and Champions League holder.

Just remembered Pique wasn't in the Euro 2008 squad, so he does have it somewhat easier.

I don't think I've ever been as far away from your thinking in a post ever.