Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

I still don't see what's so great about Coloccini. He's defending moderately well on a consistent basis, he's as fit as a fiddle which is great, he's classy on the ball for a Premiership centreback - is it the entire package that is having our fans rave about him? Or that in combination with the hair/cult status?

If we're talking about pure defending, Coloccini is found wanting in a number of areas imo. His aerial clearances are s*** half the time. He rarely throws his body in an attempt to block a shot. He's pathetic at last ditch tackles. He runs out of position an awful lot to chase down a player who is posing zero threat. He's usually rooted to the ground like a tree when something unexpected happens in the box (e.g. deflection, change of direction, etc), showing very little agility. He has little to no recovery pace at all.

He's a class centreback to have, I'm not denying that, but that's for a team at our level, i.e. a mid table team performing above expectations. I don't think for a second that he's top level club/interinational material because he's nowhere near the complete defender.

Jamie Carragher, is that you?

Colo doesn't make last ditch tackles because his sense of positioning is so good he's already read and delt with the situation before a 'last ditch tackle' is needed.  Go through Nesta and Ferdinand's career and see how many last ditch tackles they made.  Not very many, because it's the sign of a desperate defender who doesn't have a footballing brain.

Coloccini's been the best centre half in the league this season and it's a pleasure to have such a classy, ball playing defender in our team.

I still don't see what's so great about Coloccini. He's defending moderately well on a consistent basis, he's as fit as a fiddle which is great, he's classy on the ball for a Premiership centreback - is it the entire package that is having our fans rave about him? Or that in combination with the hair/cult status?

If we're talking about pure defending, Coloccini is found wanting in a number of areas imo. His aerial clearances are s*** half the time. He rarely throws his body in an attempt to block a shot. He's pathetic at last ditch tackles. He runs out of position an awful lot to chase down a player who is posing zero threat. He's usually rooted to the ground like a tree when something unexpected happens in the box (e.g. deflection, change of direction, etc), showing very little agility. He has little to no recovery pace at all.

He's a class centreback to have, I'm not denying that, but that's for a team at our level, i.e. a mid table team performing above expectations. I don't think for a second that he's top level club/interinational material because he's nowhere near the complete defender.

Jamie Carragher, is that you?

Colo doesn't make last ditch tackles because his sense of positioning is so good he's already read and delt with the situation before a 'last ditch tackle' is needed.  Go through Nesta and Ferdinand's career and see how many last ditch tackles they made.  Not very many, because it's the sign of a desperate defender who doesn't have a footballing brain.

Coloccini's been the best centre half in the league this season and it's a pleasure to have such a classy, ball playing defender in our team.

:thup:

Sorry if someone's mentioned it but given that we need him to sign up, wouldn't it be wise to hit Coloccini with a good offer now before the big three games we've got coming up? If we do as well as we could do, it's only going to bring more attention to him and strengthen his agent's hand. Given what QPR did and their defending against Arsenal, I can see us getting a result off Chelsea at least.

The longer he goes unsigned, the more likely an Enrique type situation is to develop.

Coloccini has grown into one of the best defenders in Europe, if not the world. Not many can match his ability to tackle, read and organize a defence. Add to that his excellent ability to distribute the ball and pass himself out of positions. Lots of people who watch Newcastle games are starting to acknowledge his behaviour on the pitch. Top, top player and one of the best defenders I've ever seen. By far the best CB I've seen at Newcastle by now. Surpassing Woodgate in terms of ability and consistency.

On the subject of Pique, I want to know what he did in his previous life. If i could be anyone, it'd be Pique, man. Has a God-given talent, plays for the best team in the history of football, then after all that, welcomed home to a nosh off Shakira. That's a fairy tale on smack.

On the subject of Pique, I want to know what he did in his previous life. If i could be anyone, it'd be Pique, man. Has a God-given talent, plays for the best team in the history of football, then after all that, welcomed home to a nosh off Shakira. That's a fairy tale on smack.

Faustian stuff tbh...when he dies he is in for eternal mass buggery by the legions of Beelzebub so it'll balnce out mate. Not to worry. Pretty Jelly.

Probably. Then again being a centre half in Barca's team is completely different to almost anything that has gone before. You could argue that he has it easy.

Piss easy being a current World and European Champion aswell as a La Liga and Champions League holder.

Being a CB for Barca is almost a different role to being a CB at any other club. How often is he put under genuine pressure and tested in games? Barca can regularly get away with playing midfielders in there such is there ability to keep the ball high up the pitch. His workload must be miniscule in comparison. The best thing about Pique for Barca is his ability in possession of the ball, he suits them down to a tee.

Like I said he 'probably' is the best, but he's the best of a particularly weak pool of world class centre backs.

Like I say, come back to me when you watch him play. :thup:

Like Anderson? :lol:

Exactly like Anderson. It's beyond me how anyone can argue that Anderson has been one of the best central midfielders this season in the Premiership. He dictates the tempo of the second best team in this league. He has scored two goals from a position where not many score any goals at all, he's been the player who has ran that midfield. As soon as Sir Alex took him off against City, City ran away with four goals, not saying it was solely down to subbing Anderson, but they lost that calmness and rhytm dictating player that they are. He's also been carrying  a knock of late, but for first 7 games i'd argue he was the best central midfielder in the league.

David Luiz hasn't had a good season thus far, yet he's been average, he would walk into most sides first eleven even when he's not at his best. I don't think he's one of the best in the world, and there are defenders that are better than him in this league, but to call a player like him shit is ridiculous.

As for Captain Colo, the guy has been a genius this season.

Pique is better than Vidic.

Comfortably.

I'd argue against that. For me Vidic is when he's not picking up red cards (some are unfair on him) the best defender in the world. Then I'd argue Thiago Silva who is the most important piece of that Milan defence is the 2nd best. Pique is a one of the best players in the world, but like Sewelly stated above he has it relatively easy with the amount of possesion Barca and Spain have.

Exactly like Anderson. It's beyond me how anyone can argue that Anderson has been one of the best central midfielders this season in the Premiership. He dictates the tempo of the second best team in this league. He has scored two goals from a position where not many score any goals at all, he's been the player who has ran that midfield. As soon as Sir Alex took him off against City, City ran away with four goals, not saying it was solely down to subbing Anderson, but they lost that calmness and rhytm dictating player that they are. He's also been carrying  a knock of late, but for first 7 games i'd argue he was the best central midfielder in the league.

David Luiz hasn't had a good season thus far, yet he's been average, he would walk into most sides first eleven even when he's not at his best. I don't think he's one of the best in the world, and there are defenders that are better than him in this league, but to call a player like him s*** is ridiculous.

That second sentence makes about as much sense as your guff about Leon Best. You're the only one arguing it. :lol:

David Luiz hasn't had a good season thus far, yet he's been average, he would walk into most sides first eleven even when he's not at his best. I don't think he's one of the best in the world, and there are defenders that are better than him in this league, but to call a player like him s*** is ridiculous.

That second sentence makes about as much sense as your guff about Leon Best. You're the only one arguing it. :lol:

Ronaldo and his love for Best. Honestly Ronaldo, Best has been the best midfielder in this league. I'd also argue that he's probably the best fullback in the league when he wants to.

You get worse by the post. Certainly my nomination for most declined poster of the year.

You just know Mike is gonna fuck this up by selling him for a tidy sum in January just because he doesn't sign a new contract

Not so sure like. He is moving out of his rented house in Darras and buying a canny pad in Jesmond. Wouldn't have thought he would be doing that if he was possibly leaving. He obviously knows something we don't......

Housing arrangements have to be the worst ITK basis ever. Every time. :lol:

Didn't realise that this was me claiming to be ITK? I haven't read the whole thread, but I just thought it would have been mentioned.

You just know Mike is gonna fuck this up by selling him for a tidy sum in January just because he doesn't sign a new contract

Not so sure like. He is moving out of his rented house in Darras and buying a canny pad in Jesmond. Wouldn't have thought he would be doing that if he was possibly leaving. He obviously knows something we don't......

Housing arrangements have to be the worst ITK basis ever. Every time. :lol:

Didn't realise that this was me claiming to be ITK? I haven't read the whole thread, but I just thought it would have been mentioned.

Wasn't having a go at you mate, just pointing out how often it comes up.

Comfortably.

I'd argue against that. For me Vidic is when he's not picking up red cards (some are unfair on him) the best defender in the world. Then I'd argue Thiago Silva who is the most important piece of that Milan defence is the 2nd best. Pique is a one of the best players in the world, but like Sewelly stated above he has it relatively easy with the amount of possesion Barca and Spain have.

I'd disagree with Vidic. He's an excellent centre back but not only can he be clumsy in the challange he struggles when players with pace run at him. I woouldn't say he's the most comfortable on the ball either. Like I say he's still a very good player though.

Comfortably.

I'd disagree with Vidic. He's an excellent centre back but not only can he be clumsy in the challange he struggles when players with pace run at him. I woouldn't say he's the most comfortable on the ball either. Like I say he's still a very good player though.

as a pure defender I can't think of any better personally than Vidic, the guy wins almost everything in the air, him and Ferdinand complimented each other perfectly

Comfortably.

That's like saying if Ledley King wasn't always injured, he'd be the best defender in the world. Fact of the matter is he does pick up the red cards, you can't just choose to eliminate that part of his game. 

You also say some of the red cards picked up are unfair on him - that works both ways as he also gets away with a few too. Remember when Carlton Cole (yep, Carlton Cole) tore him a new arsehole last season and should have been sent off?

Fair enough, I still remain the opinion that he's the baddest and most difficult defender to play against as a striker. As a ballplaying defender I prefer Thiago Silva who is a much calmer guy on the ball than any other defender, and if you compare Silva to Pique. Silva has 3 players above 50years of age in front of him while Pique has the best ball passing midfield in Europe. In my opinion I'd pair Vidic and Thiago Silva if I had to build a fantasy team.

Coloccini has proven his intelligence by his ability to learn from the past seasons. For example, against Stoke on Monday he didn't try to win every header, or even every challenge, only those that he could. For others he dropped off and then won it or, at least, was in a position to defend. He does play well out of defence (the second goal against Stoke being an example).