Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20120423/colos-honour-at-pfa-recognition_2281670_2745680

Colo's "Honour" At PFA Recognition

By Anthony Marshall - Newcastle United Club Reporter

Fabricio Coloccini revealed it is a "huge honour" to have been named in the Professional Footballers' Association Premier League Team of the Year.

On Sunday night, the Argentine international defender was recognised by his fellow professionals as one of the top-performing 11 players in the division throughout the course of the 2011/12 campaign.

Coloccini, who was named Newcastle captain last summer, has led the Magpies to fourth place in the top flight with a string of exceptional performances and 14 clean sheets in the process.

And he told nufc.co.uk that everyone at the Club is deserving of credit for what has been a remarkable season.

"It is a huge honour to be named in the PFA Team of the Year," said Coloccini.

"It is always nice when other players appreciate your contribution and you are recognised for it.

"But this is not just for myself. It is also for my teammates and the staff at the Club. I am playing alongside great players every week, and there are fantastic coaches and people behind the scenes who are just as important to our success.

"We have had a brilliant season, and hope it can continue over the final four games.

"I would also like to thank our fantastic supporters who have been right behind me and the team all season."

United boss Alan Pardew believes his skipper is fully deserving of his place in the Team of the Year.

Coloccini has made 35 appearances at the heart of the Magpies' defence and Pardew - who gave the 30-year-old the captain's armband - admitted he has been a shining light.

"There have been some exceptional performers across the Premier League this season in every position, but no question Colo is up there with the very best in the division," said the manager.

"In his first season as captain he has shown what a magnificent leader he is, and he certainly leads by example.

"He's been outstanding in every game he's played in this season, and I warmly congratulate him on the recognition he has received from the PFA."

http://i39.tinypic.com/107t4hy.png

"Our objective was the Europa League, but now we have a dream, so why not fight for this?" he said.

"We have arrived here in this position as a team. Papiss, Demba (Ba), Yohan - whoever scores, it's good for the team. That's the most important thing: the team.

"We don't have one Maradona, one Messi. The importance is placed on the group, and that's why we are where we are now.

"We can't think too far ahead, instead just try to play the game and keep going like this, and then when we finish the season we can see how we did.

"We're very happy because we're doing well, we're playing well now, so now is the time to enjoy this.

"When we play at home and we score early, it's good for us because then we can keep the ball. We know when we have to attack, when we have to clear the ball and we can play with width.

"Now we have a very tough game against Wigan, because they're playing very well, but we're always confident."

:smitten:

I've said it millions of times, that relegation team defence was very good. It was the constant pressure it was under because of the midfield that was the problem. For the media it was easier to blame the Senegalese, the Argentinian, the Frenchman and the Spaniard than dare have a bad word to say about Butt, Smith and Geremi.

Our defence in general had been under far too much pressure for years. Tiote and Cabaye are a godsend.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of his dribbling out of defence tonight was class. What a player he is. Best defender I have seen play for us, even better than Woodgate.

He was very quietly absolutely shit hot.

Guest pintofscottsellers

The way he reads the game is superb, and when he skins players for fun, love this guy

Some of his dribbling out of defence tonight was class. What a player he is. Best defender I have seen play for us, even better than Woodgate.

He was very quietly absolutely shit hot.

Perfectly summed up. I hate you, Mike.

Guest Howaythetoon

He is now the best centre-back I've ever seen in our colours. Colo is also the best centre-back in the division in terms of form and individual ability and one of the best in Europe. I was very critical of his performances in his first season here but the turn-around has been immense and he has been worth every single penny we spent on him and then sum. I'm extremely proud that he is our player and our Ccaptain. He typifies the new Newcastle if you like. Class but hard working and humble. As things stand he is a Newcastle legend for me and will hopefully stay here for the rest of his career to cement that status. By the way, Pardew deserves credit for recognising him as a Captain and giving him that responsibility because he has grown into that role and really is our leader in everything he does, from his sheer consistency to his wise words in the media all the way to his stellar performances out there on the pitch.

He is now the best centre-back I've ever seen in our colours. Colo is also the best centre-back in the division in terms of form and individual ability and one of the best in Europe. I was very critical of his performances in his first season here but the turn-around has been immense and he has been worth every single penny we spent on him and then sum. I'm extremely proud that he is our player and our Ccaptain. He typifies the new Newcastle if you like. Class but hard working and humble. As things stand he is a Newcastle legend for me and will hopefully stay here for the rest of his career to cement that status. By the way, Pardew deserves credit for recognising him as a Captain and giving him that responsibility because he has grown into that role and really is our leader in everything he does, from his sheer consistency to his wise words in the media all the way to his stellar performances out there on the pitch.

Perfectly summed up.

Humdinger of a post! Vintage HTT :thup: