Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

similar terms? that would be crazy (but awesome).

The club would be doomed financially though.

It's alreet. We'll give Colo and Smith contract extensions, and sell HBA, Tiote, Krul and Jonas to make up the space.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/10/06/fabricio-coloccini-wants-a-new-nufc-deal-61634-29547096/

CONTENTED Newcastle United skipper Fabricio Coloccini has confirmed his wish to stay at Newcastle United beyond the end of his current contract, which expires in two years’ time.

In a move that illustrates the growing sense of belonging among the current squad the Argentina defender, who has been in outstanding form this season, says he would like to follow the lead of compatriot Jonas Gutierrez and commit his long-term future to the club.

Gutierrez penned a new four-year deal last week and Coloccini has left the door open for United to open negotiations with him by revealing how happy he is with life at St James’ Park.

Newcastle are acutely aware that Coloccini’s performances have not gone unnoticed at home or abroad and have been quietly impressed with the assured way he has taken to his captaincy duties.

Although not as ‘hands on’ as predecessor Kevin Nolan, Coloccini has played a key role in integrating new players and has already acted as a dressing room mediator on several in-house issues. That, allied to some terrific performances alongside Steven Taylor, has confirmed his soaring reputation at St James’ Park.

The feeling is apparently mutual, with Coloccini ready to commit if the right deal is put to him. Asked whether he would follow Gutierrez and pledge his future, he said: “I’m very happy here, so we’ll see what happens.

“It was important for Jonas to get his new deal too. Then he scored against Wolves, so it was a good week for him.”

Leading from the front, Coloccini has helped Newcastle to their best start to the season for 16 years. The defeat of Wolves last weekend ensured they went into the international break unbeaten and while that has prompted excitement on Tyneside, the defender continues to preach caution.

While team spirit is “outstanding”, he concedes that it won’t be truly tested until United suffer setbacks.

“We’re happy because we’re working well and things are coming right for us,” he said.

“The team spirit is different to last season. When you start well everything is good, everyone is happy. It’s different. We’ll find out more when we have some bad times.

But now the spirit is fantastic. We have some good people in the changing room and I think that’s the key for us to keep winning and playing well.”

Coloccini’s contribution as captain has certainly helped.

Although initially wary of taking on the public responsibilities that being skipper entails, he has embraced the duties wholeheartedly. He was named the Newcastle United disabled supporters player of the year last night and attended St James’ Park to collect the award, proof that he is aware of the important community work his new role requires him to undertake.

He has also helped the new arrivals to integrate into the club, using his own experience of settling into Newcastle as a benchmark to help the likes of Yohan Cabaye and Sylvain Marveaux settle.

“It’s not just been my job as captain to make sure the new players have settled in, it’s been something everyone’s had to do. When a new player comes we have to make them feel comfortable in Newcastle,” he said.

“I know how difficult it was for me when I came here.”

Meanwhile, Dan Gosling has been linked with a loan move to Doncaster Rovers – who are actively recruiting following the appointment of Dean Saunders.

But The Journal understands no offer has been tabled for the England under-21 midfielder, who has slipped down the United pecking order following the arrival of Cabaye and Mehdi Abeid.

Guest ykmkmdd

Considering I was pretty much resigned to losing him and Jonas at the end of this season I'll be absolutely delighted if he signs an extension.

Class player, club captain, great attitude and indestructible - surely worth stretching the budget for? Potentially sends a good message to the squad as well - do the business consistently, keep your nose clean and you'll be rewarded....

"We are happy because we are working well and things are coming right for us. The team spirit is different to last season. When you start well, everything is good, everyone is happy. It's different.

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but this is a very interesting quote to me. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but it makes it sound like maybe things weren't as rosy as everyone thought last season.

Yeah it's beginning to feel like the Barton - Nolan ocracy was really rather demoralizing for the players not in that 'commiitee' and Barton's attitude (if the rumours were true) to Cabaye when he came in was disgraceful. Looking back now, I was as pessimistic about losing Barton as anyone, pretty glad that element has been removed.

Not to say that players have to be happy to play well, appreciate that Nolan would just bollock anyone not putting in a shift on pitch, but for a bunch of new young players, maybe best now that everyone is happier now...or maybe they're not and next season we'll discover the faultlines lol. 

"We are happy because we are working well and things are coming right for us. The team spirit is different to last season. When you start well, everything is good, everyone is happy. It's different.

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but this is a very interesting quote to me. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but it makes it sound like maybe things weren't as rosy as everyone thought last season.

I heard it was like hell on earth. Nobody said anything, but they were dying inside. Lucky not to get relegated tbh.

:pards: :yao:

Yeah it's beginning to feel like the Barton - Nolan ocracy was really rather demoralizing for the players not in that 'commiitee' and Barton's attitude (if the rumours were true) to Cabaye when he came in was disgraceful. Looking back now, I was as pessimistic about losing Barton as anyone, pretty glad that element has been removed.

Not to say that players have to be happy to play well, appreciate that Nolan would just bollock anyone not putting in a shift on pitch, but for a bunch of new young players, maybe best now that everyone is happier now...or maybe they're not and next season we'll discover the faultlines lol. 

Cabaye said he got on really well with Barton and he helped him settle in.