Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Woodgate was better tbh

Totally agree Woodgate was better but it would have made a great partnership

Woodgate over a shorter period of time was the best I've seen. We just didn't see enough of him in our colours.

Moncur was better than both. Classy defender who scored three goals in a cup final to lift silver as captain. Captain of national team too. No contest.

The national team was Scotland though ;P I was too young to remember him. But we've had some good defenders in the past if you go way back like Frank Brennan and even further to Billy McCracken and Colin Veitch, I think the FA had to change the offside rule because of those two, lol :)

Happy Birthday to my favourite centre half,

Love,

Ronaldo

xxx

He's still the best CB I've seen in our colours. Just a shame he's deteriorated so much.

Albert was better by a mile.

I love Albert but as a defender that statement is way off.

Guest antz1uk

Albert was good, composed but not the best defender, for me Woodgate was immense, he would just come out of nowhere and make a perfectly timed clean tackle when you thought there was going be a goal, just a shame it was so short lived, he could have been one of the best centre halfs ever had he not had so many injury problems  :sad:

Injury issues were only part of the problem. He couldn't have cared less about his career. For all people slag off John Terry, he took his weaknesses and worked so hard on his game that they no longer really mattered. Woodgate on the other hand just (usually) turned up on time, did the bare minimum he was contracted for and spent the rest of his life acting like a cunt.

Injury issues were only part of the problem. He couldn't have cared less about his career. For all people slag off John Terry, he took his weaknesses and worked so hard on his game that they no longer really mattered. Woodgate on the other hand just (usually) turned up on time, did the bare minimum he was contracted for and spent the rest of his life acting like a c***.

Harsh but fair. Woody had way more natural talent than both Rio and Terry, yet played a fraction of the games those two did for the country. Injuries and a lack of application were the reasons why.

Depends on how you define "best" - straightforward ability or also overall contribution to the club? In terms of pure ability, Gazza is the top NUFC player I've seen, but if you asked me for the greatest player I've seen play for NUFC, I'd say Beardsley (ability + contribution).

The same goes for Woodgate v Colo in terms of top NUFC centre-backs I've seen.

Well, I think Colo at his 2011 best eclipses Woodgate at his best in 2003.

About the same. Colo definitely is more of a threat from set pieces but I can remember umpteen times when Woodgate was just an absolute collosus. That good that Madrid swooped straight in for him.

About the same. Colo definitely is more of a threat from set pieces but I can remember umpteen times when Woodgate was just an absolute collosus. That good that Madrid swooped straight in for him.

This is where we'll disagree. Has Colo ever scored directly from a set piece? Woodgate not much of a threat either, mind.

This is where we'll disagree. Has Colo ever scored directly from a set piece? Woodgate not much of a threat either, mind.

Im sure a remember a few.

I think Bernard was better over a longer period of time but Enrique in the first season back was a beast.

I've always felt Enrique was better over a longer period due to his consistency. Bernard was outstanding that one season.

Injury issues were only part of the problem. He couldn't have cared less about his career. For all people slag off John Terry, he took his weaknesses and worked so hard on his game that they no longer really mattered. Woodgate on the other hand just (usually) turned up on time, did the bare minimum he was contracted for and spent the rest of his life acting like a cunt.

Still doesn't mean he wasn't great when he was on the pitch though.