Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Spain was definitely the right country for him. His astute reading of attacks saw him through 3 good seasons in English football but once he started deteriorating physically with age it was like kicking away a stick from a blind man.

He gets a lot of unfair stick on here mind (hi Ronaldo  :D)!

You can’t deny that he’s fading but he is still by far our best centre half. He’s 33 now so his legs are obviously going to be on their way at the top level and he’s never been a physical unit! It’s not his fault that the idiots who run our club decided to play out the last four months of the season with only two fit recognised centre halves one of which is Mike Williamson! Blame those idiotic wankers and not Colo!

He’s the best centre half I’ve seen at NUFC – his prime for us was better than Woodgate’s for me and the fact that he hasn’t been constantly crocked!

If only we had these two together at their best as they’ve both had to put up with numerous awful centre half partners!

For a slow defender who is barely adequate in the air and a little weak he's had an amazing career. His game hinges on such fine margins.

Not really there's been plenty of defenders who are slow and not good in the air who have had great careers.

It's not the be all and end all like you think it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the popcorn out eagerly awaiting Ronaldo's response to this!

Fabricio Coloccini is one of the Premier League's only 'proper leaders', says Newcastle head coach

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fabricio-coloccini-one-premier-leagues-8739264

In this case I'll not bother. Everyone on here (except you and a couple of others) knows it's an idiot defending a cowardly shithouse.

He's captain because he's an extension of the 'yes sir, whatever you say sir' attitude prevalent at board, management and coaching level. Nolan wasn't, and was sold.

O0

I've got the popcorn out eagerly awaiting Ronaldo's response to this!

Fabricio Coloccini is one of the Premier League's only 'proper leaders', says Newcastle head coach

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fabricio-coloccini-one-premier-leagues-8739264

In this case I'll not bother. Everyone on here (except you and a couple of others) knows it's an idiot defending a cowardly shithouse.

he had a good game today I thought mind.

If you can think of another reason, I'd love to hear it. Not that you'll ever come up with one.

His best mate Jonas publically complained about Pardew's treatment of him when diagnosed with cancer and a week later Colo was in the paper defending Pardew's position as team manager. That's the type of person he is: he takes his money and does what he's told whether he thinks it's right or wrong. Leaders don't do that, but a captain who'd question those above is about as likely at NUFC as a manger who complains about players being sold.

And why has he retained the armband despite lack of on-field leadership being a ludicrously glaring problem for years now?

He's perfect for them, man. Just as Carver is and Pardew was. Men with no real self-respect.

He probably is perfect for them but there hasn't exactly been a load of players threatening to take the armband away from him, in fact I can't think of one.