Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

What our back 5 needs is Given 2002, Beye 2008, Enrique 2011, Coloccini 2011 & Woodgate 2003.

Yeah agree with that.

Enrique over OB every time for me.

At his best, Bernard was brilliant going forward and very strong defensively. Jose's never looked brilliant going forward in the PL.

Depends on how you define talent. I'd say intelligence is the most important talent a defender can have.

I agree. And on the pitch Woodgate was an Intelligent defender. Read the game very well. Certainly as well if not better than peak Colo.

Depends on how you define talent. I'd say intelligence is the most important talent a defender can have.

I agree. And on the pitch Woodgate was an Intelligent defender. Read the game very well. Certainly as well if not better than peak Colo.

Perhaps as well as Colo. Never as good as John Terry, though. Miles apart.

Perhaps as well as Colo. Never as good as John Terry, though. Miles apart.

Woodgate in my opinion was at his best, better. Quicker and read the game better. Unfortunately injuries which may have been exacerbated by a poor off the pitch attitude stopped him from being truly World class. 

Terry's been a brilliant defender but he's been helped out by being in teams with great overall defensive qualities built to maximise his strengths.

But it's difficult to seriously mention Woodgate in the same breathe as Terry. Over a decade of consistent top level performances vs. a peak of about 50 games

Sol Campbell or Jaap Stam are the only ones I can think of that should be mentioned in the same breath as Terry as far as PL centre backs go.

Rio Ferdinand & Vidic.

Maybe it's because he's an idiot but Ferdinand is slightly under-rated. At the highest level in the Champions League he was consistently better than Vidic & Terry. He was also better for England than Terry.

During that period Man Utd. went to 3 CL finals in 4 seasons, that Man United back 4 (VDS, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra) where the best defensive unit in Europe.

I know you are cerebrally challenged but even you must see that VDS was a goalkeeper thus never part of anyone's back 4 least alone Manchester United's.

During that period Man Utd. went to 3 CL finals in 4 seasons, that Man United back 4 (VDS, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra) where the best defensive unit in Europe.

I know you are cerebrally challenged but even you must see that VDS was a goalkeeper thus never part of anyone's back 4 least alone Manchester United's.

Obviously it's back 4 players not back line. The right-back changed due to Neville's decline but it didn't matter. Those 4 ensured they had the best defensive unit in Europe.

I hope you understood that and it's just your hard-on for me that made you post that. Purposely misinterpreting my post only reflects badly on your own intelligence.