Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Whilst in principle I agree, I do feel uncomfortable about making 3 changes to a team that is doing so well, especially as Best is doing so well and working hard for the team.

Would you say that if we had Beardsley fit and and available and Shola was doing ok?

Best is playing well but lets not elevate him to something he isn't. Ben Arfa has to play. We need the quality Ben Arfa should provide and someone has to make way. Feel more uncomfortable sticking BA out wide and restricting his game. 

Whilst in principle I agree, I do feel uncomfortable about making 3 changes to a team that is doing so well, especially as Best is doing so well and working hard for the team.

Would you say that if we had Beardsley fit and and available and Shola was doing ok?

Best is playing well but lets not elevate him to something he isn't. Ben Arfa has to play. We need the quality Ben Arfa should provide and someone has to make way. Feel more uncomfortable sticking BA out wide and restricting his game. 

Just not comfortable changing almost 30% of a side that has done so well for us. Happy for a 'proper' left back to come in as Raylor is in no way a left back and may be tempted to swap Ben Arfa for Obertan although that would probably mean we would have to change formation which again would be a little worrying but Best must be up there as one of our top performers this season.

I can see why people would want to drop Raylor and Obertan but dropping a player who is performing very well so far doesn't feel right to me and imo doesn't send out the right message. I have advocated Ben Arfa playing in a number 10 role for some time but if he comes in, at the moment I don't think it should be for any of our forwards as both are playing very well.

He kept losing possession 2nd half and the first goal came from him losing the ball.

He gives us a great outlet with his pace but he's the only player not warranting a starting place right now. He strikes me as being much more of an impact sub right now whereas someone like Marveaux is a lot more stable, can create but also very good good on the ball.

Best is twice the player Shola is. And if I said what HBA is in comparison to Beardsley, I'd have French idiots trolling my posts for the next 6 months. No thanks.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I don't know why everyone thinks Marveaux is going to slot in on the right seamlessly. Could go either way

Marveaux left, Jonas right.

I like Obertan but thinks he gets to much sticks from people. But yesterday he should have been replaced in the second half. He  got a little bit overconfident and a little bit careless.

I would go for the little by little approach:

I would give Santon a game against Spurs as lennon is very fast and i think Raylor will get "bummed in the face" :)

Bring marveaux on for obertan after 60/70 mins

Ben arfa for whoever of the forwards who is knackered after 60-70.

Wouldn't go for wholesale changes as the team is playing well as a unit at the moment

I don't know why everyone thinks Marveaux is going to slot in on the right seamlessly. Could go either way

Marveaux left, Jonas right.

I could see Marveaux or HBA on the left with Jonas on the right against Spurs to try and deal with Bale.

Sounds like a reasonable change.

I would go for the little by little approach:

I would give Santon a game against Spurs as lennon is very fast and i think Raylor will get "bummed in the face" :)

Bring marveaux on for obertan after 60/70 mins

Ben arfa for whoever of the forwards who is knackered after 60-70.

Wouldn't go for wholesale changes as the team is playing well as a unit at the moment

Then Sammy on to score a late Messi like goal.

He's 21, and to my knowledge this is his most consistent run of games in a few years. Give him a chance.

I thought he did alright in the first half, needs to watch Gutierrez for what to do when he doesn't have the ball though. His end product's nowhere near good enough to stand around watching and bottling challenges. Even Laurent Robert didn't get away with that and he could put a ball on a striker's head or onto the top corner from anywhere on the pitch.

Surprising tbh coming from Man Utd, maybe that's why he rarely got near the team. Fergie insists on everyone working their bollocks off as a matter of course.

Another thing Jonas is superb at is retaining possession, it's fucking impossible to get the ball off him at times, sometimes Obertan is very wasteful in this regard.

Guest Heneage

He's 21, and to my knowledge this is his most consistent run of games in a few years. Give him a chance.

I thought he did alright in the first half, needs to watch Gutierrez for what to do when he doesn't have the ball though. His end product's nowhere near good enough to stand around watching and bottling challenges. Even Laurent Robert didn't get away with that and he could put a ball on a striker's head or onto the top corner from anywhere on the pitch.

Surprising tbh coming from Man Utd, maybe that's why he rarely got near the team. Fergie insists on everyone working their bollocks off as a matter of course.

Another thing Jonas is superb at is retaining possession, it's f***ing impossible to get the ball off him at times, sometimes Obertan is very wasteful in this regard.

True he does that mercurial French vibe about him. I saw instances where he chased back but I also saw times when he stood hands on hips not bothered.

I don't think he'll ever be like Robert, he doesn't appear to be a crossing winger. His strength will be dribbling and getting to the byline for a pullback. With that in mind Jonas like you say is probably the ideal person to learn from. You can't learn work-rate obviously, but I still think he'll be a decent performer for us.

When confident he seems a real player (with specific reference to the France v England U21 game). I think slowly that confidence is building, and he seems to have fitted in well with the squad.

I'll admit I'm still a bit baffled by Pardew's reluctance to even use Sylvian after a decent showing or two in the cup. For me that's when we'll discover what Obertan is like because he'll be fighting for his place. Right now he isn't really, because Ameobi is still deemed a 'Prospect'. 

I really think people go a bit overboard on here, some of the comments, tongue in cheek or not are RTG'esque, pathetic really.  Granted he was poor against Wolves, second half in particular.  But he's been far better than I and probably most (total assumption BTW  :lol:) expected him to be and there is so much potential with him, I just find some of the comments ridiculous, each to their own though I suppose.

He seems to be a bit inconsistent with his tracking back and workrate, perhaps benching him might be the kick up the arse he needs.  At the minute, he is in danger of becoming a luxury player or an impact sub.  Although there are promising signs, and he has pace to burn, if he carries on the way he did in the second half, I can see him being used sparingly.  We can't afford to have passengers against the top 8 or in tricky away games.

I think he's alright. He's probably created more clear cut chances than Jonas so far this season, although the difference in workrate/attitude is obvious.

I think Obertan certainly offers us something on the break, get the ball to him in space and he can't half run. Needs to do the simple things better.

Guest Heneage

You can't learn work rate? What?

I mean you can't really learn to be a hard worker, you either do it or you don't.