Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Pretty gutted about this.  :'(  As much as Ive been desperate to see Marveaxu get a game, I do think Obi has been improving and offers us something a little bit different than we'll get with Marveaux.

I like Obi's very fast runs down the right and even when he doesnt get the ball, he scares the opposition into hoofing it out as happened against Stoke quite often.

Not sure if Marveaux does that and tend to think off him more as a silky Nolberto sought of winger.

Still, Marveaux or Ben Arfa (if he agrees) are still canny options to bring in.

Have to remember how important this position is with Jonas doing the extra defence bit.

Can see Jonas being moved to the right for the Everton game now to help Simpson handle Baines and whoever plays on their left wing (Drenthe plays on the right, doesn't he?).

Not a disaster, but injuries to first team players are never good. Terrific chance for Marveux to show us what he can do, and I'm happy that he will finally get his chance.

With our squad theres several players where an injury would be a big problem - Obertan isn't one of them. We only have 5 defenders, up front we'd have to play Lovenkrands, but midfield? Theres Marveaux, Guthrie, Gosling or even Ben Arfa. Good performance against Stoke but for me, Wigan is still fresh in the memory.

Guest optimistic nit

no injury is good with how we're playing atm, although losing obertan is not as bad as losing colo, ba or a couple of others.

He's possibly had to have the nail removed, I've had that and it was maybe bit less than a month but certainly all bandaged up for a while. That said still a month seems a bit much

It's also a bit sad considering this covers the manchester games where I expect we'd be hoping to score on fast breakaways out of defence, which is surely his speciality.