Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Guest firetotheworks

When I lived in Leeds (our relegation season) I asked a few people if he was ever actually any good. All of them claimed that he really was. Unbelievable story, I know.

If we're talking about players who actually played regularly then Smith would have to be the worst IMO. For all Obertan's shitness he hasn't actually appeared that regularly.

Imagine how shit he could be if he Played more games.

If we're talking about players who actually played regularly then Smith would have to be the worst IMO. For all Obertan's shitness he hasn't actually appeared that regularly.

And he's contributed more than Smith. Overran's crap but not Smith crap.

I actually think he might be better, but in absolute terms we'd obviously have to put up with more mistakes.

TBF to Obertan he would probably be perfectly serviceable in the Championship, he's rubbish in this league but actually has traits that are useful in a footballer, mainly his pace and a modicum of skill. Smith, regardless of what league he plays in doesn't bring much to any area of the pitch other than being 'brave' enough to hack someone down.

If a team full of Smiths played a team full of Obertans, the Smiths would wipe the floor with the Obertans.

How fucking scientific is that?

Ooh, big claim that, not so sure. The sheer athleticism of the Obertan team man!

Would be a treat for the neutral anyway.

Guest firetotheworks

I think it's the spinelessness of Obertan that sets him apart from most other players. I've never seen a player shit themselves as much as that. It's the sort of thing that happened at school, but he's managed to get to the Premier League and be like that, it's really weird.

I think it's the spinelessness of Obertan that sets him apart from most other players. I've never seen a player shit themselves as much as that. It's the sort of thing that happened at school, but he's managed to get to the Premier League and be like that, it's really weird.

Yep, he actually reminds me of myself a bit, just lacking the conviction to always do the right thing. Not that I have his ability obviously, but I identify with his occasional brain freezes.

I wouldn't call it spinelessness, more hesitancy or self-doubt.

Guest Recoba

I think Obertan is worse than Smith was.  Smith "did a job" briefly in the Championship... kind of... at times...

Obertan is just embarrassing, because obviously physically he has a lot going for gim.  His brain must have holes in it.

If a team full of Smiths played a team full of Obertans, the Smiths would wipe the floor with the Obertans.

How fucking scientific is that?

The Smith team would have to forfeit the game after they have had too many players sent off. Fuck, I fucking hate Alan Smith. Hid throughout the games only to show up and do a daft tackle every now and then to fool some idiots that he was a "hard worker".

How f***ing scientific is that?

The Smith team would have to forfeit the game after they have had too many players sent off. f***, I f***ing hate Alan Smith. Hid throughout the games only to show up and do a daft tackle every now and then to fool some idiots that he was a "hard worker".

Agree completely, Smith was overhyped since his first season at leeds, found out mid career then with an injury arrives at NUFC, couldn't imagine a worse piece of business ever!

Yeah Alan Smith always flew in with late alibi tackles because he couldn't keep up with the pace.

Gabriel Obertan is another Ryan Babel or David N'Gog. Got the physical and technical aspects to be a top footballer. None of them are aware of their surroundings past the tip of their feet.

Good on a ball, but not enough footballing brain to ever become good at the game itself.

Yeah Alan Smith always flew in with late alibi tackles because he couldn't keep up with the pace.

Gabriel Obertan is another Ryan Babel or David N'Gog. Got the physical and technical aspects to be a top footballer. None of them are aware of their surroundings past the tip of their feet.

Good on a ball, but not enough footballing brain to ever become good at the game itself.

Like it, yes very Babel or Ngog!

Smith looked ok before that leg break against Liverpool. Not great but useful. That injury pretty much finished him in the top flight, so naturally we come along with a long term deal and £60k per week on the table.

Guest waterbottle

Waste of wages. Might as well play with 10 men.

Might even be better, we'd pass it to players who are not named Obertan.....