Newcastle United 0-0 Arsenal - 13/8/11 - post match reaction from p33

Beren

I'm happy with the point.  I thought Colo was immense and read the game very well.  He seemed to always be in the right place.  I also thought Steven Taylor played well.  Simpson did OK too and Raylor didn't embarrass himself but we need a LB yesterday.  Cabaye and Tiote will be solid in the middle of the park and my well be one of the best MF tandems before this year is out.  Barton was shit although I was laughing when Gervinho go the red and all the Gooners were hugging Barton after the game.  Krul played well but still does one or two things every match that make you scratch your head.  I hope he's not going to be like Almunia in that respect.  Jonas was OK and Obertan looked sharp a couple of times but doesn't appear to do much off the ball.

I don't know why Pardew played Shola and Ba together up front and no one ever tried to cross and then I thought his subs were odd, too.  It still looks like Pardew is still trying to figure out what he has and how best to use it.

I've just got in, so this has probably been discussed already, but can anyone confirm, that little lad at half time was called Shola yeah? I wasn't hearing things? :lol:

Aye. :lol:

Fucking get in! ;D I need to meet that lads dad and buy him a pint. :lol:

I've just got in, so this has probably been discussed already, but can anyone confirm, that little lad at half time was called Shola yeah? I wasn't hearing things? :lol:

Aye. :lol:

Fucking get in! ;D I need the meet that lads dad and buy him a pint. :lol:

:lol: I was wondering like, was convinced I'd misheard!

Marveaux was great btw. Smashing start to the season.

f***ing hell. Forgot about him, not even on the bench aye?

Lacking match fitness. Or injured if your'e Lee Ryder

Don't think he's injured. The pre match footage on the norwegian pl channel showed him walking into the dressing room with the other players.

Guest johnson293

Just watched those ESPN interviews posted earlier.

Steven Taylor's "I did not see it" when asked if it was an elbow, despite his actions on the pitch..

And Arsene's usual selective vision - misses a stanp on Barton right in front of the dug-outs, but sees that Gervinho didn't deserve to be sent off, in an incident almost the opposite side of the pitch. Also reckons he'll look at it again, but think he will appeal the red. He'll probably miss gervinho slapping joey too, in that case.

Anyway, a good point tonight, and a clean sheet too, which I would have taken before the match.

Bring on the Mackems!

Btw I have to give a bit of credit to the club for the ground improvements this summer. The pitch was gorgeous, that wraparound advertising hoarding actually looks very pretty - especially the Northern Rock ads (though it was really bright and I can see them turning it down to save brass) - and the striped nets are a nice touch. Even better from our new seat as well because you can't see the Sports Direct w*** daubed on the Gallowgate.

£30m well spent. :thup:

Looked rather special today. They need to bring back the electronic clocks in the corners though.

Pardew outlawed them because they put the players off or something.

That's mental. Teams with a scoreboard must have some severe ADD.

Need to buy a watch now.

Especially when the video advertising hoardings are far more distracting. :lol:

He meant in that we saw it was 90th minute and lost concentration and conceded lots of late goals.

Tedious excuse like. I'm fairly certain any team of note in the world has scoreboards.

I know. I mean without the scoreboard, it's not as if there is some very loud, distracting voice informing the team of how many minutes they have left... :razz:

Don't know where these good ratings for Raylor are coming from. Within 10 minutes it was obvious he was our weakest link and Arsenal continued attacking his side. Gervinho and Arshavin beat him a good 3-4 times but wasted the delivery. As the game went on Jonas protected him greatly but Raylor was still shit.

Don't know where these good ratings for Raylor are coming from. Within 10 minutes it was obvious he was our weakest link and Arsenal continued attacking his side. Gervinho and Arshavin beat him a good 3-4 times but wasted the delivery. As the game went on Jonas protected him greatly but Raylor was still shit.

That's how I saw it as well. Gervinho was running past him as if he wasn't there for the first 45 mins. Only their poor end product and sterling work from the central defenders saved us from conceding in that period.

Cabaye took a corner and a freekick. Both s***.

Bartons free kick and corner at the end when we were going for the win against 10 men were shocking. Hit the first man(walcott of all people i think) twice when we had loads of men forward. Hate it when players do that

Cabaye took a corner and a freekick. Both s***.

Bartons free kick and corner at the end when we were going for the win against 10 men were shocking. Hit the first man(walcott of all people i think) twice when we had loads of men forward. Hate it when players do that

:sadnod:

Nothing really dramatic to add to what has already been said but it occurred to me watching the game how much better we will be if/when Ben Arfa is back and playing off 1 front man with maybe Obertan on one side and Jonas/Marveaux on the other side, instead of an archaic 4-4-2 which doesn't really suit the players we have. Cabaye had a quiet day and the game largely passed him by but you can see that's he a "thinker" type of player and when he gets on the ball more he should make us tick. Think we'll start to see what this side is really capable of then. We'll be a lot more fluid and mobile and better to watch too. Under the circumstances and with the way the game went, it was remarkable we kept a clean sheet so that's the main positive.

Nothing really dramatic to add to what has already been said but it occurred to me watching the game how much better we will be if/when Ben Arfa is back and playing off 1 front man with maybe Obertan on one side and Jonas/Marveaux on the other side, instead of an archaic 4-4-2 which doesn't really suit the players we have. Cabaye had a quiet day and the game largely passed him by but you can see that's he a "thinker" type of player and when he gets on the ball more he should make us tick. Think we'll start to see what this side is really capable of then. We'll be a lot more fluid and mobile and better to watch too. Under the circumstances and with the way the game went, it was remarkable we kept a clean sheet so that's the main positive.

Said that to people all of last season and now probably for atleast 6 weeks still till he returns  :no: So sad not having arguably our best player available for so long now

What's with the Ba criticism here? I thought he looked pretty good (when he got the ball at his feet) and chased everything. On the other hand, I thought Shola was dreadful, and did his usual slow motion closing down all afternoon.

I said during the game I would definitely have taken Shola off instead. Didn't think Ba did much, but then we hardly had the ball during the period he was on the pitch.

Was very surprised we lined up 442, but maybe it was to stop our CF getting too isolated. As you say, we should look better with a couple of players to make us more fluid. And we won't play Arsenal every week either.

Yeah that is true. On Cabaye, I was actually pleasantly surprised by how often he popped up in the Arsenal box considering how deep he played generally and his lack of match fitness, and with a bit of luck, he would have scored when he latched onto that Obertan flick. He clearly lacks match fitness (as they all do) but I think he will end up doing well. He would look better with better players around him (Ben Arfa, new striker). I think going back to Ben Arfa, he will alter everything, not just with his individual quality, but in the way his presence will dictate how we line up tactically, we'll be miles better.

I think if we are to play with both Tiote and Cabaye then we need to play some 4-5-1/4-3-3 variation because in a 4-4-2 they will tend to be disconnected from the front line.  There will be a much better spine with it lining up with Tiote, Cabaye, CAM/Ben Arfa type player rather than Tiote, Cabaye, and then two strikers 45+ yards ahead of them with the wingers out wide.  We're missing a big area of the pitch.