Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

He's our most in form player and probably a serious contender for player of the season.

To folk who don't understand goalkeeping, sure. He been OK, at best. That's a more than fair appraisal.

Correct.

Don't really get the unwillingness of some to praise Elliott. He is one of the only players who has exceeded expectations for us this year. He's our most in form player and probably a serious contender for player of the season. That probably says more about the s*** we've been served up than owt else like. This is bad news.

People are making out he's Lev Yashin, though. He still flapped at home to Everton and just watched the ball sail past him away at Stoke. He's areet but nowt amazing.

If we end up going down, it'll be because we don't score enough goals and the back four are utterly s**** - not because we've got Karl Darlow in nets.

I don't disagree with this, but he is arguably our best performing player looking across the season.

He might be performing above his level of ability and that I probably agree with also, but you have to give credit where it's due, is what I am getting at.

Spot on, one of the only players this season who can come out with the slightest of credit.

He's our most in form player and probably a serious contender for player of the season.

To folk who don't understand goalkeeping, sure. He been OK, at best. That's a more than fair appraisal.

And us folk who don't understand goalkeeping are perhaps concerned that the potential replacement may be a bit less than "ok".

Completely get that, I am too.

Just had a quick ganders at free agents, nobody at all really we can sign for cover. Maybe Stuart Taylor or Nicky Weaver  :lol: Can definitely see Rafa try to get an emergency loan.

Will not be approved by the FA, we had a similar situation last season didn't we and got told to f*** off?

Darlow and Woodman will be seen as "adequate cover", it'd only be if one of them get injured would we be allowed to do it.

Who knows had Darlow been given the luxury of and extended run in the team with no expectations on him apart from show up then he might be at a decent level for us already.

Well as he'll be playing the last games of the season, looks like he's got a good chance to do that.

Looked absolutely horrific in the game he played, but hopefully that'll be down to the fact he was thrown in at the last minute. He looked pretty solid for Forest.

Who knows had Darlow been given the luxury of and extended run in the team with no expectations on him apart from show up then he might be at a decent level for us already.

Exactly. Darlow was thrown in at WBA having only played in a League Cup game vs Northampton and turning out for the stiffs. Hardly ideal.

He certainly can't be as bad as Jack Alnwick.

He did his knee in when he checked to the side to stop the shot. Looks like a bad one, perhaps a cruciate.

I rate Darlow so it's not end of world but very unlucky for Elliot who's been pretty much the only player this season for us who can hold his head up high.

His knees must be under massive amounts of stress carrying all that weight.  Most animals his size spread the load over 4 legs.

Exactly. Darlow was thrown in at WBA having only played in a League Cup game vs Northampton and turning out for the stiffs. Hardly ideal.

Maybe not but he had proper poppadom hands against WBA. Looked so shaky

:lol: That bloke was unbelievably bad, literally had no faith in him doing anything correct.

Aye but now he's going to be thrown into a absolutely must win relegation 6 pointer.  Doesn't really matter much if he's going to be good given time, its all or nothing on Saturday, a nervy keeper is the last thing we needed.  This really is horrendous news.

Aye but now he's going to be thrown into a absolutely must win relegation 6 pointer.  Doesn't really matter much if he's going to be good given time, its all or nothing on Saturday, a nervy keeper is the last thing we needed.  This really is horrendous news.

Thrown in as in he had a few minutes to get ready having prepared for the game to be on the bench. We don't play Norwich until Saturday, he should be in a much better state of mind.

The lad has over 100 appearances in the Championship and by all accounts wasn't too bad. I suspect he is better than Elliot, hopefully he can prove it and has the mentality to succeed at this level.

Actually, i'm just gonna jump in with the unruly mob. If we get relegated, it's 100% Rob Elliot's fault. The fat bastard, and I hope he and all his family & friends die in a pancake related incident.

I really hope a few days training in the first 11 will make him less nervy but I'm not hopeful unfortunately :(

It's more about knowing he's going to play from a mental side rather than being thrown into your first Premier League start at a few minutes notice, where he looked like a nervous wreck.

He started the season ahead of Elliot, lets hope he can prove his quality.

The lad has over 100 appearances in the Championship and by all accounts wasn't too bad. I suspect he is better than Elliot, hopefully he can prove it and has the mentality to succeed at this level.

He probably is better than Elliot, its not his potential ability I'm questioning, its his lack of match practice that worries me most.

I hope he can prove his quality obviously, I'd just have much prefered the safe option.  A keeper I know will be ok rather than a unknown quantity who might be good or might let the ball under his hands.

He probably is better than Elliot, its not his potential ability I'm questioning, its his lack of match practice that worries me most.

And confidence, being mentally ready will be very hard when he's barely had a kick and when he has he has been bad. Rafa's gonna have to get his spirits up or he'll crumple.

People always mentions an emergency loan whenever a goalkeeper gets injured but whats the actual rule behind getting one?

Only one I can remember is Martin Fulop going to Man City which was ages ago

People always mentions an emergency loan whenever a goalkeeper gets injured but whats the actual rule behind getting one?

Only one I can remember is Martin Fulop going to Man City which was ages ago

I didn't think it was possible if there are any other registered keepers able to play for the first team - is Darlow registered? Or a youth player?