Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

That save from Van Aanholt was fucking unreal.

Gotta be up there for save of the season. Earned us the point as much as the goal, fair play. I think a lot of us have to take back what we said when Krul got injured :lol: He's been very good for the most part

You can see he's not good enough in certain situations but he's generally done better than I could expect considering he's not a top class keeper. Darlow looked pretty nervous in his only appearance this season.

Guest firetotheworks

Hmm, I don't like the bloke, but I don't think he was particularly to blame for their goal, Defoe and the other four Sunderland players were completely unmarked.

Hmm, I don't like the bloke, but I don't think he was particularly to blame for their goal, Defoe and the other four Sunderland players were completely unmarked.

He should have put the ball over the bar rather than palming it straight up in the air.

What the hell has that got to do with his portion of the blame? There's no chain of causation to be broken here. He should've done better, he didn't, we conceded.

Guest firetotheworks

What the hell has that got to do with his portion of the blame? There's no chain of causation to be broken here. He should've done better, he didn't, we conceded.

Portions of blame aren't shared equally by default. If he was to blame, it was a lot less than the blame I'd apportion to our centre backs.

Portions of blame aren't shared equally by default. If he was to blame, it was a lot less than the blame I'd apportion to our centre backs.

Aye. It's all well and good saying he should've done better, but he should never have had to do better tbf, our defending was shambolic in that instance. 

The save from van Aarnholt looked good from where I was, but it was at the other end of the ground so will be interested to watch it again on MOTD.

To blame him for the goal is harsh :lol: he made an initial good save from an unmarked Borini, our centre back (Mbemba?) then headed it up in the air rather than away/behind, Defoe entirely unmarked then had the time to wait for it to come down and slot it home. He was unsighted with our defence in front of him. If he could have saved it, our defence could/should have blocked it.

I may completely retract all of that after seeing it again on MOTD, but that is what it looked like to me.

Thought he commanded his area better today, came a long way for some crosses and went through everybody to get them. His shot stopping is superb, if he improved a few things he'd be a real neat goalkeeper.

He was good for the most part.  His kicking is gradually getting worse and worse, though.  It may just be because I haven't seen him play for such a long time.  But it doesn't seem much better than Krul's, at the minute.  I thought when he first played for us, his kicking was a lot flatter and more accurate.  But we're back to lofted, sliced, aimless punts up the field.  Some going straight out of play. 

I thought he should have done better for the goal.  Borini's shit was pretty fierce.  But he palmed it straight back in front of him.  The defensive shit show that followed that, was not his fault, of course.  But I felt like he could have tipped it over the bar. 

Exactly.

Mbemba doing his dinga at those players who'd not marked the mackems queuing up to score after he'd headed clear.

He's an average Premiership shot stopper who's made about half a dozen mistakes that have cost us points. It's not like Cech where his early season blunders have been made up by genuine match winning performances, he's had a couple of stand out games and then does something stupid like punch the ball to Tom Cleverly for no apparent reason. His distribution is also completely awful.

He's been arguably better than Krul but that's not saying much.