Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

I'm sure Darlow can make the bog standard saves that Jelly has made.

That West Brom game strongly suggests otherwise.

He almost punched a cross/corner into his own net, didn't he?

Stop man couldn't even save a header that came straight at him.

Least Elliot begrudgers admit he can do the basics right. Darlow showed no evidence of being able to do so.

Do his 100+ games in the Championship for Forest not count?

You can't rate Darlow on one game, his Premier League debut at 5 minutes notice, and having been out injured for a fair while previously.

Premier League is a whole other level as we all know and after a horror show like that it hard to have any faith that he can cope at this level. Again though, I hope he proves me wrong, I have no problem eating some humble pie, but I am not exactly brimming with confidence. Here's hoping Norwich's attack have another off day.

Emergency loan for Valdes?

you'd have to organize for someone to take a crowbar to darlow's legs first, like

*cracks knuckles*, ok, where is he?

I think there's a bit of unearned respect here mind....lets not forget in the last few games he did his 'musical statue' act to watch the stoke goal fly in, and weakly palmed a perfectly manageable ball back into play which the mackems dutifully rattled past him. The fact he hasnt been as shit as expected isnt cause for praise. Maybe his replacement wont be as shit as expected either, Elliot's certainly lowered the bar in that respect.

Relegation won't hinge on a Rob Elliot injury ffs. He's had a solid, 6/10 season but nothing more.

He'll only be a big miss if every Darlow game is like that WBA game, but I severely doubt that'll be the case. He'll probably be just as mediocre as Elliot in the long run.

:thup:

He'll only be a big miss if every Darlow game is like that WBA game, but I severely doubt that'll be the case. He'll probably be just as mediocre as Elliot in the long run.

Absolutely, the best thing from a club's perspective is that this run of games for Elliot has put a price on his head, some silly club may give us a million or two for what is in essence just an average championship standard GK, he's just had more chances to excel at Newcastle because of the atrocious way we defend. It's more worrying that we aren't developing the likes of Darlow or even Woodman, players that may have some future at the club. If Elliot was our future number 1 then our recruitment was worse than I thought.

Darlow in goal until the end of the season, currently in the relegation zone and only 8 games left you say?

http://49.media.tumblr.com/8c5500274d92429efd47c07ddecc15c2/tumblr_mjijuo86Pg1qh1g19o1_500.gif

Blob has been s****.

Doesn't command his box, doesn't come off his line, slow, awful at one on ones. One of the many reasons we are in the s****.

Don't be fooled by good shot stopping, that is a basic at this level.

Whilst I wouldn't be quite so harsh.  I kind of agree with this.  The last line in particular, is spot on IMO. 

I often hear people saying "yeah, well he's a great shot stopper."  I mean FFS, you're not going to be a pro keeper, if you've got really good distribution and you command your box.  But you let in shots all the while, as you can't dive :lol: 

How come it feels when we have a goalkeeper crisis, we don't seem to have the emergency loan option? Yet I'm convinced, when it happens to the bigger teams, they seem to have the emergency loan option granted.

E.g.

Man City had Taylor and Given injured but still had at least 1 goalkeeper fit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8644269.stm

Yes we have 2 goalkeepers fit but it was more aimed at towards last season when we only had Jak Alwnick in goal and we all knew how that ended up. Let's hope Darlow can step up to the plate.

Elliot has been excellent this season, mediocre ffs.

I'm not saying I like him, nor am I saying he's a great keeper but this season he's been superb and far out performed expectations. He will be a huge miss. One save might be the difference for us, in the same way that one goal might be. It shouldn't be this way but that's where we find ourselves.

From what I've seen, he's a better keeper than Krul, who can barely kick a ball.

He's made some decent saves, but then every PL keeper is capable of making some saves that look good.  He's still made a fair few errors in my opinion, so I don't think this is quite the loss it is being made out to be.

Elliot has been excellent this season, mediocre ffs.

I'm not saying I like him, nor am I saying he's a great keeper but this season he's been superb and far out performed expectations. He will be a huge miss. One save might be the difference for us, in the same way that one goal might be. It shouldn't be this way but that's where we find ourselves.

From what I've seen, he's a better keeper than Krul, who can barely kick a ball.

Better than Krul. :lol: