Realistic Transfer Targets

MyPalAl

Really hope we can get 2 playmakers (CM and a 10) and a winger

If Rafa gets his way i can't see that not being the case tbh. The mere fact he wanted a CM and winger in January means he knows we need both, plus it's obvious to pretty much everyone we don't have a 10 fit for purpose.

Probably worth giving One Lung another punt tbh.

Aye, into the Tyne.

Why has he only played half of PSV's games? Injured?

Sounds like he got rested/rotated a lot. 10 starts, 9 games off the bench and 13 games as 'unused sub'.

Watched Ajax last night and i'd take half of their team. Their little playmaker, Younes, was absolutely class. He's listed as a left winger/striker

Had a lovely drop of the shoulder. Would be hounded out double quick over here though.

Younes was the player I've been most impressed with from that Ajax side, but also the one I'd least recommend a PL team to sign probably. Take him out of that Ajax system and throw his tiny little frame in a random PL match and it wouldn't be the same player.

Younes was the player I've been most impressed with from that Ajax side, but also the one I'd least recommend a PL team to sign probably. Take him out of that Ajax system and throw his tiny little frame in a random PL match and it wouldn't be the same player.

You say that but plenty of diminutive players have thrived in the PL over the past few years. They're as protected by soft-touch refs as they ever have been.

It would be down to his attitude, character and the way he was deployed as to whether he'd succeed. Under Pardew he'd have absolutely no chance but under Rafa he might thrive.

He's 5 ft 6, which as far as I'm aware would make him the smallest player in the Premier League. Lennon, Sanchez and Pedro off the top of my head might be around that height. But all have (or at least had in their careers) strong physical attributes to compensate.

Younes is extremely slight, and while he's not slow he's not a speed merchant. More about drop of the shoulder and close control. He looks great in this Ajax team, but then they all do, as they play in a system that allows players to thrive and he constantly has passes and runners available when found in a tight corner. Certainly don't think he's a wide player for a Benitez team anyway, as much as I've found him extremely entertaining to watch the last few games.

He's 5 ft 6, which as far as I'm aware would make him the smallest player in the Premier League. Lennon, Sanchez and Pedro off the top of my head might be around that height. But all have (or at least had in their careers) strong physical attributes to compensate.

Younes is extremely slight, and while he's not slow he's not a speed merchant. More about drop of the shoulder and close control. He looks great in this Ajax team, but then they all do, as they play in a system that allows players to thrive and he constantly has passes and runners available when found in a tight corner. Certainly don't think he's a wide player for a Benitez team anyway, as much as I've found him extremely entertaining to watch the last few games.

Exactly what I thought watching him yesterday.

Younes is a fantastic player but I would worry about his size and stature in the PL. I'd take a punt though. He's German, they're supposed to be made of hard stuff aren't they?

Exactly what I thought watching him yesterday.

The sheer infectiousness and intensity of that Ajax side helped him. Plenty of times he managed to wriggle away from a situation, or they quickly won it back in the next play through somebody else's pressing - where I just think in the PL he (and the team) would have lost it and then our fans would have groaned.

Borussia Monchengladbach seems to be producing some exciting talents that are about to break trough on the international arena. With the mentioned Younes and Dahoud as the first players that spring to mind.

Younes is a fantastic player but I would worry about his size and stature in the PL. I'd take a punt though. He's German, they're supposed to be made of hard stuff aren't they?

He's a dorty Lebanese brought up on hummus and flatbreads rather than bratwurst and Pilsener and as such can't be trusted to uphold national stereotypes.

He's a dorty Lebanese brought up on hummus and flatbreads rather than bratwurst and Pilsener and as such can't be trusted to uphold national stereotypes.

Fair enough  :lol:

Least he's not a cous-cous nonce.

How would he compare to Mahrez? You can be small but tough as nails, it's really down to the mentality as much as the physique.

Mahrez is bigger like. A fair bit taller and stronger, and Mahrez is a slight fella too.

The premier league is probably the wrong place for Younes then. Size shouldn't really be that important these days if the refs are penalising fouls or dangerous tackles, but in English football there's still plenty of leeway to kick players into the air to see what they are made of.

Guest Howaythetoon

We could do with maybe a loan signing similar to what WBA/Everton originally got with Lukaku. We should try our luck with any of Rashford/Martial/Iheanacho/Bony/Nolito/Iwobi etc.

They are not regular starters for their respective clubs as things stand and may find themselves even further back come the summer as their club's look to spend and improve more. They are talented enough for their club not to want to peddle, however, so a loan could be attractive all-round?

Players we can't quite afford or attract, but may be able to get on loan and who could do a very good job for us as we try and establish ourselves back in the top-flight.

I'm usually against loan signings because once the loan deal is up it can leave you stranded, but anything that can help fast-track us is a good thing as I trust Rafa to create a very good team long-term.

One player who I think would be a very good signing for us would be Bony and someone I think we could realistically either get on loan or maybe even sign permanently, same with Joe Hart. They will more than likely cost £15m + though if they were to be sold. If we are willing to spend we can get some good players into the club without doubt, however!

Just for example £15m + on Joe Hart (or loan), £15m + on Shawcross, £15m + on Bonny (or loan) and those 3 alone could transform our side towards a respectable mid-table one.

Some may argue Shawcross isn't worth £15m +, but even at £20m I think in the current climate he would represent good value for money and would help solidify our defence. He would be someone I reckon would relish working with Rafa. He's a no nonsense defender and tactically seems to enjoy that side of the game.

Hart has his critics and he's by no means a great 'keeper, but he would walk into our team and is easily on his day one of the best in the PL IMO.

Again, I'd rather we spent good money on top players even if it meant fewer players than good money on lots of players who were not all upto the task.

If our budget is a net of £70m I believe we could bring in 4 very very capable players for that who would transform our side massively. Add in loans and things could be very good for us indeed, especially with Rafa coaching.