Newcastle Utd vs Tottenham Hotspur - 16/10/11 @ 4pm - live on SKY

Anderson

I'm pretty sure it'll be a depressing starting lineup of

Krul

Simp    Saylor    Colo    Raylor

Obertan  Tiote  Cabs    Guti

Ba    Best

But hopefully we'll be able to keep them out, but i imagine ba and best'll be pretty isolated, and worried about Bale attacking down the left...but at 60 mins ish it'll become

Krul

Simp    Saylor      Colo    Santon

Tiote      Cabaye   

Obertan      HBA          Gutierrez

Best

And then Sammy or Marveaux on for Guti for last 15 mins. (providing no injuries) Hopefully then we can be fresher and stronger side at end, and can see us clawing back a deficit at end, or even winning. Still worried though.

I'd have liked Marveaux on left and Guti on right from start but doubt it.

Pardew is going to kop flack whatever he does. If he changes it and we lose people will question his judgement but if he doesn't make any changes and we lose people will also question him. It's a pretty difficult decision to be in but I think he'll start with the same team that has effectively gone unbeaten so far this season. Best and Ba have caused defences problems so far this season and seem to link up well. Ba in particular is on a hot streak. Even Ryan Taylor defended pretty well at times against Wolves last week (one in particular) so maybe he'll reward those players as opposed to removing them and keep the consistency going. The one big plus to bringing Santon in is it would free Jonas up in attack more whereas at the moment he's obviously been told to help Raylor out but even now he seems to be doing both jobs admirably.

It's a very delicate tinkering situation but I think the team will naturally sort itself over the coming weeks anyway. Santon will obviously come in very soon maybe starting against Wigan (maybe earlier than expected if Raylor is in real trouble against Spurs and that situ will alreayd be resolved), Best will have to keep playing top of his game or Ben Arfa will be in and Obertan will have to be on his game otherwise Marveaux will come in.

I'd eventually like to see and think we will see fairly soon:

Krul

Simo        Taylor      Colo      Santon

Marveaux    Cabaye    Tiote      Jonas

Ben Arfa

Ba

I'm guessing (or hoping) Spurs will go:

Friedel

Walker/Corluka          Kaboul                          King                    Assou Ekotto

Modric                          Sandro                        Parker                      Bale

Van der Vaart/Defoe

Adebayor

Still not convinced about getting anything, our record at SJP is abysmal.

While Modric obviously can play out wide, doesn't that rather limit his influence? I assume Lennon is injured then?

I'm skeptical that we'll avoid being pinned back most the game, haven't yet played a midfield of this quality.

Guest kingdawson

Friedel

Walker/Corluka          Kaboul                          King                    Assou Ekotto

Modric                          Sandro                        Parker                      Bale

Van der Vaart/Defoe

Adebayor

Modric wide right = nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Even with that odd formation I still can't see past us getting an absolutely monstrous bumming for some reason.

/could just be a general, 'things are going far too smoothly' fear hopefully. http://www.military-history.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/fingers_crossed.gif

I would personally play Parker and Sandro together in practically all away matches (and a few at home), they control games.  Exactly how Bale/Modric/ VdV are fitted into the team is a problem but a nice problem to have.

On the other hand, the Sunday League team I managed years ago were useless!  I thought it was the players, but maybe not ....................

Look at Ma

Friedel

Van der Vaart/Defoe

Adebayor

If you were trying to tactically prepare the team to handle the pace of Bale bombing down our right hand side, surely you would put someone like Santon there in place of Simmo to handle Bale's pace and Assou Ekotto's overlapping too?

On the left Ryan Taylor, may not be the best defender but he has enough pace to him to keep up to Modric with help from Jonas? 

Or could you realistically say, okay lets neutralize Bale and Assou Ekoto by putting Ben Arfa/Obertan wide-right and Santon at right-back.  On the left side you  have Walker/Corluka and Modric - so Jonas/Ryan Taylor could work on that side.  Jonas providing much needed balance and hard-work cover to help with Modric's creativity?

I say Ben Arfa wide right as my thinking is he will force Assou Ekoto and to an extent, Bale to playing a tad-bit more defensively.

Bringing on Obertan/Marveux in the 2nd half to provide a change of pace and more direct running. 

AP has stated he doesn't believe HBA can play out wide for us, but surely he CAN do it, esp with playing a strong Spurs side.  Just my thoughts, wondering what others think...

Worse Newcastle teams than this have beaten this lot, tough game obviously but let them worry about what we've got rather than fret about Bale, Modric, etc.

Hear, hear.

No reason why we can't score a few past this lot.

Worse Newcastle teams than this have beaten this lot, tough game obviously but let them worry about what we've got rather than fret about Bale, Modric, etc.

Hear, hear.

No reason why we can't score a few past this lot.

Especially with our front two  :smitten:

Ben Arfa and Marveaux coming off the bench against tired legs  :love:

Liverpool supporting mate said that he hopes Spurs beats us, because he don't want another team to compete with for fourth. I'm not really sure how that logic works, but I can only imagine that means we are bigger rivals for fourth than both Spurs and Arsenal.

Liverpool supporting mate said that he hopes Spurs beats us, because he don't want another team to compete with for fourth. I'm not really sure how that logic works, but I can only imagine that means we are bigger rivals for fourth than both Spurs and Arsenal.

Your mate is on crack

I'm pretty sure it'll be a depressing starting lineup of

Krul

Simp    Saylor    Colo    Raylor

Obertan  Tiote  Cabs    Guti

Ba    Best

Honestly mate, my thoughts are with you. If you need any help, I'm here.

Obertan needs to get his arse in gear and start tracking back in this one. If Simpson isn't helped down the right he will be annihilated  :frantic:

Would much rather see Marveaux start as he was always tracking back against Forest but I can't see Pardew changing it too much.

Your mate is on crack

Sounds more like acid to me.

Guest magpie99

From what I have read, Ben Arfa is being lined up to start behind either Ba or Best, depending on how Ba is after returning from Senegal. I think that will be the only change, with Marveaux possibly coming on to replace him with 20 minutes or so to go. I think Santon will be held back too and possibly brought on for Raylor at the same time.

Spurs will not play Modric wide. He is their most influentual player and will be used in the middle with Parker. Sandro will be on the bench. I expect Lennon to start on the right to attack Raylor and Bale on the left to attack Simpson. I believe Adebeyor is struggling with a hammy so I would expect Pavluychenko to start with Defoe up front. Judging by the war of words between Harry and VDV recently, I would think Harry will send a message to VDV by leaving him on the bench.

So, my teams would be:

NUFC (4231) Krul, Simpson,Colo, Saylor, Raylor: Tiote, Cabaye: Obertan, Ben Arfa, Guttierez: Ba

Subs: Elliott, Santon, Guthrie, Best, Sameobi, Marveaux, Gosling

Spurs: (442) Friedel, Walker, Kaboul, King,  Assou Ekotto: Lennon, Modric, Parker, Bale: Pavluychenko, Defoe Subs: Cudicinni, Dawson, Corluka, Sandro, Van Der Vaart, Liveremore, Huddleston

If Harry is wise, he will attack our full backs and Pardew will need to get Obertan to protect Simpson the way Jonas does for Raylor. It will be a tremendous battle between Tiote Cabaye agasinst Modric Parker in the middle and we may have to defend well because we have the pacve and capabilities to hit them hard on the break. I think their defensive 4 are suspect and can be caught out but it is essential we defend well and close down the space in front of the back far and support the full backs.

If we do that, I can see us winning but if we dont, we will get hammered.

Huddlestone won't be on the bench, he's out for a while. Not convinced we'll see Dawson on the bench either. I can see us lining up as you think, if Lennon is fit, but would still rather play that sort of 4-2-3-1 we started with against Wigan. If Sandro is fit, that's him and Parker in the middle with Bale, VDV and Modric behind Defoe (Ade if fit). I like the idea of bringing on Lennon for VDV with twenty minutes to go, to run at Taylor.

Pav and Defoe up front is just so depressingly mediocre.