Newcastle Utd vs Tottenham Hotspur - 16/10/11 @ 4pm - live on SKY

Anderson

Guest magpie99

The reason why I think Harry will line up 442 initially is that he will know our weakpoints are full backs and coupled with so far this season, he has tried to hit the opposition quickly from the start and get the lead, he can then revert to a more defensive line up to protect his lead knowing he still has some attacking options on the bench, if all goes pear shaped.

It is much like the Barca model in many respects. If you look at the majority of goals they score, it is usually in the first half.

It will be a very interesting tactical game and I can see us taking a more cautious approach early on, relying more on our pace to hit Spurs on the break and trying to gain the lead.

Cannot wait for this game to come around. I dont think anyone can honestly predict an outcome.

Spurs are a good footballing side and both teams have suspect areas in defence, pacy wideman, goalscoring ability. The midfeild is going to be an exceptional battle.

Guest Yankee Spur

Huddlestone won't be on the bench, he's out for a while. Not convinced we'll see Dawson on the bench either. I can see us lining up as you think, if Lennon is fit, but would still rather play that sort of 4-2-3-1 we started with against Wigan. If Sandro is fit, that's him and Parker in the middle with Bale, VDV and Modric behind Defoe (Ade if fit). I like the idea of bringing on Lennon for VDV with twenty minutes to go, to run at Taylor.

Pav and Defoe up front is just so depressingly mediocre.

Mediocre is an understatement. Pav is absolute shit right now. He looks like he doesn't care and he plays like it. I'm pretty sure Ade will be good to go so I don't see this being a problem. 

Pav and Defoe up front is just so depressingly mediocre.

If Rasberry Pavlova plays, you'll struggle.  He is such a hot and cold player, and seems to be cold the majority of the time, shit attitude as well.

As someone else said, it's difficult for AP, does he stick or twist?  I'm caught in two minds, but I would say if we're only going to make minimal changes, then Santon should start.  Watched the Wales game last night and now can see the reasons why people would think it's a good idea dropping Obertan and shifting Jonas to wide right, Bale was on fire.  If he plays half as good as that on Sunday I feel Simpson will either need some assistance to leave SJP after corkscrweing himself into the ground or he'll spend the majority of the game with the fans behind the goal after backing off so much.

That said, Obertan might play a blinder and release the pressure running the ball on counter attacks and giving Bale something more to think about with his defensive work. 

This has all the markings of a quality game with a few goals.  0-0 anyone?  :lol:

HATEM Ben Arfa is back on Tyneside, but will have to wait for his Newcastle chance after United cooled fears over Demba Ba’s knee.

The Journal understands that Ben Arfa returned to Newcastle on Monday after being granted compassionate leave to return to Tunisia to visit a sick relative – along with the rest of the first-team squad after a rare weekend off. The French schemer trained on Monday and Tuesday and after an encouraging cameo against Blackburn last month, he is desperate to return to a United side that has made a flying start to the Premier League season.

Ben Arfa has reassured United that he is match-fit and sharp enough to play, although the indications are that he will be made to wait for his first league start since September 2010 with Ba looking to continue his run of four goals in two games against Tottenham.

The forward missed his country’s clash with Mauritius amid fears a slight knee problem was something more serious, but both the Senegalese FA and United have moved to quell those fears. He now looks set to start against Spurs.

Senegal boss Amara Traore said the decision not to play Ba was a “precaution” because of the sub-standard state of the pitches they were training on. Alluding to a knee condition that means the striker must be carefully managed, he said: “When Demba arrived on Thursday evening for the first training session, it was felt that the ground was really hard for him, and with his knee problem we preferred not to take a risk.

“At the beginning of the season he played on a synthetic ground and he had problems afterwards.

“For (the Mauritius) match I would have liked to make him play because it has been a long time since he played for Senegal, but with the state of the ground it would have been making him take too much of a risk.”

The problem of how to integrate Ben Arfa into a side that is playing so well is a surprising but not unwelcome headache for Pardew, who feared that his side had been left light in the striking department following the close of the transfer window.

Instead he has seen Leon Best and Ba (pictured below) form a potent partnership while Shola Ameobi, first choice at the start of the season, and a revitalised Ben Arfa are made to wait on the sidelines for their chance.

Either way it adds to the feeling of optimism ahead of the visit of Champions League-chasing Tottenham over the weekend, an emotion that assistant boss John Carver feels can only be good for the club.

Pre-season expectations were low following the sale of Kevin Nolan and later Joey Barton but United have confounded the critics by pulling together and posting some impressive performances to soar into the Premier League’s top four.

Carver reckons results have helped to salve some of the wounds inflicted during the club’s summer of discontent.

He said: “Winning football matches helps the situation. The gaffer has had a lot of things to deal with and he’s dealt with them particularly well.

“The chairman and the owner have too.

“The only way we can put things right is by winning football matches and doing things right. I think the start we’ve had does help that.

“Once you start gathering a bit of momentum you do start to brush other things under the carpet. Hopefully that is what we need.”

Meanwhile, Danny Guthrie will leave talks on a new contract until January to concentrate on getting back into the United side.

He said: “I’ve got six months left at Christmas, so we’ll assess it in January.

“I’m not worried about deals or things like that – there’s no rush.”

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/10/12/in-form-demba-ba-will-make-hatem-ben-arfa-wait-61634-29579899/#ixzz1aYKvr1G6

Divvent fret lads. HBA is starting this one.

While I think our most effective front two will be Ben Arfa and Ba eventually, I won't be disappointed if Best and Ba start this game. Both are scoring goals and I can see them giving Spurs central defenders a hard time.

He'll start Raylor because the lad has done alright (one particularly good bit of defending last week against Wolves) and has been part of an unbeaten team. I think he'll reward him on that basis and also because no matter how good Santon is he needs to be treated carefully. In a game like this one big mistake could really dent his confidence especially with some of the mongs in the crowd. I think as people have said he'll be brought on at some stage and then there are the Wigan and Blackburn games to bed him in and eventually make the position his own. Ofcourse if its' obvious we're all over the shop he'll be on sooner.

I won't be disappointed if Best and Ba start this game. Both are scoring goals and I can see them giving Spurs central defenders a hard time.

Agree with this too.

Fair play to Senegal. :thup:

?

Senegal boss Amara Traore said the decision not to play Ba was a “precaution” because of the sub-standard state of the pitches they were training on. Alluding to a knee condition that means the striker must be carefully managed, he said: “When Demba arrived on Thursday evening for the first training session, it was felt that the ground was really hard for him, and with his knee problem we preferred not to take a risk.

“At the beginning of the season he played on a synthetic ground and he had problems afterwards.

“For (the Mauritius) match I would have liked to make him play because it has been a long time since he played for Senegal, but with the state of the ground it would have been making him take too much of a risk.”

I echo Dave's sentiment. :thup:

Fair play to Senegal. :thup:

?

I echo Dave's sentiment. :thup:

ah, many thanks to Ginola and Senegal :-)

The Journal understands that Ben Arfa returned to Newcastle on Monday after being granted compassionate leave to return to Tunisia to visit a sick relative – along with the rest of the first-team squad after a rare weekend off.

Thought for a second that everyone just went with him for a laugh :lol:

All this keeping an unchanged side is bollocks.  The top sides rotate all the time to accomodate the right players for the next match.

With this in mind, Afra should start in a 4-5-1 line up, just behind BA.  Santon should replace Raylor and LB.  Cant decide on Obertan, but think Marvaux would be a better choice on the right.

We should put pampering the current team to one side for games like this.  It will increase competition if managed the right way, not decrease it.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I had a dream me and Ben Arfa went go karting and Winston Churchill was there selling ice cream. It means nowt.

Krul

Simpson  S.Taylor    Coloccini  Santon

Jonas      Cabaye      Tiote        Marveaux

Ba          Best

Subs: Harper, R. Taylor, Perch, Ben Arfa, Obertan, Guthrie, S. Ameobi

Adebayor rated 50/50 in todays reports..... he'll probably play though I reckon.

would be a massive boost if he didn't though since he's still in his being absolutely brilliant for first few months stage

but he probably will play

All this keeping an unchanged side is bollocks.  The top sides rotate all the time to accomodate the right players for the next match.

With this in mind, Afra should start in a 4-5-1 line up, just behind BA.  Santon should replace Raylor and LB.  Cant decide on Obertan, but think Marvaux would be a better choice on the right.

We should put pampering the current team to one side for games like this.  It will increase competition if managed the right way, not decrease it.

I agree, it's fair enough keeping an unchanged side when we're playing really well, but not when we have just scraped past Wolves. We should change according to the opposition, and I think against Spurs we could do with Ben Arfa playing off Ba or Best, if only just to give Parker and Sandro some more problems to help us get a foothold in midfield. I would also start Santon instead of Raylor, he's had a few games now so should be getting up to speed. One of his first games for Inter was against C. Ronaldo wasn't it, so hopefully he'll be up to the task regardless of it being his first game for us.

This 'had a dream' shit seems to be all the rage for this game, but I had a dream last night where we played Stoke at home and won 7-5. Not a fucking clue what that means, don't put any bets on.

Had a dream last nigh as well :lol:........ we played man utd at SJP and we beat them 2-0... thanks to 2 goals by Raylor. :lol:

very good managers make the changes when they see fit, not when common footballing knowledge suggests so (after you lose a game or when you're losing a particular game and bring on subs to try and change things). that's what sets apart the absolute cream of the crop from the rest.

This 'had a dream' s*** seems to be all the rage for this game, but I had a dream last night where we played Stoke at home and won 7-5. Not a f***ing clue what that means, don't put any bets on.

Had a dream last nigh as well :lol:........ we played man utd at SJP and we beat them 2-0... thanks to 2 goals by Raylor. :lol:

That's more realistic than 7-5 to fucking Stoke.