Newcastle United 1 - 0 Wigan - 22/10/11 - Post-match reaction from page 28

Beren

shocking performance today. midfield really let us down. Tiote in particular had a poor game i thought. Best as well lost the ball far too many times without doing anything with it.

were lucky to come out of that with 3 points. but wigan really are in trouble, that was a definate relegation candidate performance from them today.

Simpson put in some absolutely cracking tackles second half.  I haven't seen the one he got booked for, but it looked perfect from my seat.

He came out with some fight, which was sorely lacking in the first half.

Obertan was awful, and I actually think he's a useful player.  He was just turgid today.

Coloccini amazing as always, and I just love Tim Krul. 

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Simpson put in some absolutely cracking tackles second half.  I haven't seen the one he got booked for, but it looked perfect from my seat.

Obertan was awful, and I actually think he's a useful player.  He was just turgid today.

When Simpson's in the mood he's a very good tackler.

:thup:

Krul 7 - Great save in the opening exchanges, did everything asked of him. Needs to cut the aimless long balls out.

Simpson 6 - Solid.

Taylor 7 - Committed display.

Colo 8 - Class.

Taylor 5 - Alright overall but given the run around by Moses at times.

Obertan 4 - Looks to be an abhorrent footballer, gave the ball away almost everytime he got it, his crossing was piss poor too.

Cabaye 7 - Not as influential as he should of been in the final third but put in a good shift and grabbed the match winner.

Tiote 7 - A bit sloppy in possession but did a canny job overall.

Jonas 6 - Not his greatest day at the office but effective in spells.

Best 5 - Battled hard but looked toothless. Should of burried his chance at the end of the first half.

Ba 5 - See Best but should of taken his own chancce in the second half

Ben Arfa 6 - Added a new dimension but looked to be trying too hard again. His dribbling and vision was there for all to see but he needlessly surrendered possession on a couple of occasions attempting to be too clever.

Shola 5 - Some decent hold up play but didn't look particularly threatening.

Marveaux 7 - Looked twice the player Obertan is. Great control and intelligance on the ball.

Pardew 6 -Thought he got the starting line up wrong again, missed a greater oppertunity to get Santon and Marveaux in the side. We looked flat until his changes, so while he gets credit for making them you've got to ask why we were so methodical in the first place.

I think the ref brought the play back and booked him for the earlier challenge where he slid in an tried to bring their player down but missed

Krul 7 - Did well when called upon.

Simpson 5.5 - Average display, poor at times, decent at others.

S.Taylor 7 - Solid.

Coloccini 7 - See above.

R.Taylor 6 - Was targeted as the weaklink by Wigan, but dealt with it relatively well.

Obertan 5 - Poor, got to the byline once to his credit and there was no one in the box.

Tiote 6 - Didn't dominate the midfield as he normally does, but a decent performance.

Cabaye 7.5 - Good defensively, deliveries from corners were well placed, nothing spectacular up until that utterly magnificent goal.

Jonas 7 - Continues to look dangerous everytime he picks up the ball. Clearly full of confidence and wouldn't be surprised to see more goals from him soon.

Ba 6 - A couple of half chances, but not much else, decent shift.

Best 6 - Energetic performance till sacrificed for Ben Arfa, probably should have scored.

Ben Arfa 6.5 - Better than last week, but had the same effect, more drive and industry in midfield. Good strike well saved by Al Habsi.

Shola 5 - Nothing display really.

Marveaux 6 - Looks a really good, technical footballer. Nice composed layoff for the goal.

Didn't deserve to win it tbh. Wasted so many good chances to work the keeper but Al Habsi had nothing to do all day.

Moses played well and with a bit of composure could have had a goal or two himself or set one or two up. Pleased with the result obviously but there's a lot of work to be done. Pardew keeping the same XI is fair enough but if there are superior players on the bench the bench then they deserve a chance - thinking Santon, Ben Arfa and Marveaux for Simpson, Best and Obertan respectively. Horses for courses.   

Didn't deserve to win it tbh. Wasted so many good chances to work the keeper but Al Habsi had nothing to do all day.

Moses played well and with a bit of composure could have had a goal or two himself or set one or two up. Pleased with the result obviously but there's a lot of work to be done. Pardew keeping the same XI is fair enough but if there are superior players on the bench the bench then they deserve a chance - thinking Santon, Ben Arfa and Marveaux for Simpson, Best and Obertan respectively. Horses for courses.   

Disagree with that tbh. ??? Think Pardew got it spot on in his post-match interview. They were sharper and crisper in possession in the first half and had that one chance. But i think we matched them for chances in the end, and dominated the second half. You've only got to look at the possession stats to see that they were never in it. They closed the game out in the middle at times, particularly in the first, and made it difficult for us to break them down, but when they had the ball they were garbage imo. Moses and Rodallega looked their own players capable of doing anything with it. They spent the majority of the second half just punting it straight back to us.

As Pardew said, it was more 'flat bitter' than it was champagne football, but we were unquestionably worthy winners imo.

The thing is when you go with two forwards like Ba and Best your wingers are so so important, they provide the service they thrive off. It's fairly one dimensional, so when one of your wingers isn't having his greatest outing and his team mate on the opposite of the pitch is a piss poor player you're going to be fairly ineffective in the final third. However Ben Arfa and Marveaux provide a different kind of threat. Intelligance, vision, passing range. All of a sudden the threat is different, it could come from a through ball or a shot from range while the cross still remains a threat. Bringing the pair of them just gave us that little bit more cutting edge and it showed.

Back from the game and agree with Pardew that the goal was the one moment of class. Just noticed on the clip that Ryan Taylor crosses with his left foot to Marveaux - a seriously improved player with a bit of confidence in him. Agree with the earlier poster that today was a missed opportunity to start Santon, HBA and Marveaux even if two of them changed the game from the bench. Don't see anything but wholesale changes for Wednesday now - Cabaye and Tiote need to be rested on this showing.

http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16358&posts=5

Thought they were lucky not to have more. Loads of shirt-pulling and sly kicks, dirty bastards.

Rodallega's a f***ing prick too like.

When he went down in the 1st half and he was getting 'treated' for 2 minutes, really p***ed me off. He hobbles off, the physio literally just dabbed him with a towel ??? then he sprints on to try and score then when he realised he was offside starts to limp again.

C***

Not much to say. Worst game I've watched this year live. Very lack lustre and lots of sub par performances.

Only saving grace was having Cabaye at 14-1 for first goal scorer.

Funny old game

Not Blown away by Ben Arfa yet but loving Marveaux..... Classy team player.

3 points though and one of those games we might have got nowt from last year.

Boring first half, slightly better second (not much).  Ben Arfa was wasteful at times (though did sow moments of what he can do).  Obertan was poor but is quite quickly becoming a scapegoat for fans which is a tad annoying, especially when no one is playing well.  Best/Ba were too quiet, though Ba did at least try to drop back to get the ball at times.  Tiote had little time on the ball and lost it on several occassions, not his best game.