Newcastle United 1 - 0 Wigan - 22/10/11 - Post-match reaction from page 28

Beren

Didn't deserve to win it tbh. Wasted so many good chances to work the keeper but Al Habsi had nothing to do all day.

Moses played well and with a bit of composure could have had a goal or two himself or set one or two up. Pleased with the result obviously but there's a lot of work to be done. Pardew keeping the same XI is fair enough but if there are superior players on the bench the bench then they deserve a chance - thinking Santon, Ben Arfa and Marveaux for Simpson, Best and Obertan respectively. Horses for courses.   

Disagree with that tbh. ??? Think Pardew got it spot on in his post-match interview. They were sharper and crisper in possession in the first half and had that one chance. But i think we matched them for chances in the end, and dominated the second half. You've only got to look at the possession stats to see that they were never in it. They closed the game out in the middle at times, particularly in the first, and made it difficult for us to break them down, but when they had the ball they were garbage imo. Moses and Rodallega looked their own players capable of doing anything with it. They spent the majority of the second half just punting it straight back to us.

As Pardew said, it was more 'flat bitter' than it was champagne football, but we were unquestionably worthy winners imo.

Fair enough. Don't recall Al Habsi making a save of note. Didn't think we created enough to justify taking 3 points but that's how it goes sometimes. We'll play much better and lose games this season.

Didn't deserve to win it tbh. Wasted so many good chances to work the keeper but Al Habsi had nothing to do all day.

Moses played well and with a bit of composure could have had a goal or two himself or set one or two up. Pleased with the result obviously but there's a lot of work to be done. Pardew keeping the same XI is fair enough but if there are superior players on the bench the bench then they deserve a chance - thinking Santon, Ben Arfa and Marveaux for Simpson, Best and Obertan respectively. Horses for courses.   

sort of agree , we didnt play well enough.

on the other hand , we signed cabaye, he scored a lush goal= we deserved to win.

Wigan were excellent btw, considering the run they're on and lack of quality players. Worked their socks off, made it ridiculously hard for us and when they got it I'd even say they passed it better than us and looked more dangerous. I'd be gutted if I was one of their fans. Certainly their players looked devastated when the goal went in.

Obertan was poor but is quite quickly becoming a scapegoat for fans which is a tad annoying

absolutely, disgusting the way he was jeered off

Wrong as it was I don't think Pardew has helped by adding to the fans frustration with him by selecting him week after week when he doesn't contribute much at all.

Obertan was poor but is quite quickly becoming a scapegoat for fans which is a tad annoying

Wrong as it was I don't think Pardew has helped by adding to the fans frustration with him by selecting him week after week when he doesn't contribute much at all.

Fair point.

depends what's more important to you, the team playing well or dedicating one day a week to pissing and moaning at the players

depends what's more important to you, the team playing well or dedicating one day a week to pissing and moaning at the players

That's not what he's said, he's just pointing out that Obertan is getting games when he's not earning his place in the team.

Wigan were excellent btw, considering the run they're on and lack of quality players. Worked their socks off, made it ridiculously hard for us and when they got it I'd even say they passed it better than us and looked more dangerous. I'd be gutted if I was one of their fans. Certainly their players looked devastated when the goal went in.

Agreed, credit to them they were really good and put our players under a lot of pressure, just need to take their chances when they get them.

poor game, only the taylors and colo of the outfield players played anywhere near what they are capable. tiote is starrting to get caught far,far too much on the ball,cabaye had his quietest game yet,obertan poor,best poor and very lucky not to see red,ba best of the rest but little service, jonas wants to play rugby, just loves to get the ball and run into players.