Manchester City 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 19/11/11 - post-match reaction from p41

Dave

Krul 7 - didn't do a lot wrong, made 1 good save from Trollotelli, no chance with any of the goals

Simpson 7 - fairly solid

Coloccini 7 - as above

Taylor 7 - as above, made a few very good blocks.

R.Taylor 2.5 - car crash

Sammy 7 - very good and dangerous (MOM)

Cabaye 5 - ineffective

Guthrie 6 - not bad but always going to struggle against Toure

Jonas 4 - non-existant front or back, switched off badly for the 3rd too

HBA 7 - flashes of brilliance, promising, probably should've scored

Ba 6 - did well for the goal, could have had another, not a lone striker by any stretch of the imagination though

----

Perch 6 - good assist for the goal

Gosling 6.5 - scored

Lovenkrands 5 - whats the point?

Good showing by our fans, took the piss non-stop. After they announced their record attendance I started a chant of "would you like to buy some fans" that caught on pretty well. Bit of aggro, firework or something went off and fans on both sides tried to get through the stewards, chucking seats. Heard another explosion outside after an all.

Oh, and Jill went past me and gave me a dig. I'll never wash this arm again  :aww:

All we have to do us cut out the mistakes and take our chances then we'll do better against Man U.

:snod:

We were clearly dominated today, but quite conceivably could have got something from the game. Hopefully Pardew can keep the confidence going. Interesting team selection choices ahead of the next game. Man Utd won't be as strong in CM, but will be arguably deadlier out wide.

Shit. :(

City are obviously miles ahead of us, but I still think people are getting carried away by them and that teams in our league are giving them too much respect and showing too much fear. Napoli and Bayern Munich showed in the Champions League that they're far from invincible if you pass the ball well and get at them. We caused them problems in the second half today when we actually started doing the same thing.

:thup: very much so, we should've been in their faces from the start.

Positives, we defended well until we dug our own grave, we handed them the goals.  Ben Arfa and Ameobi played well and didn't let themselves down apart from the 2nd penalty.  Our toughest game of the season is out of the way and we might still be 3rd in the league once chelsea have played.  We weren't disgraced against a really good team away from home and we didn't seem to pick up and more injuries.

3-1 was probably not a fair result.

Hba played really well today and was unlucky that one didn't just bounce in off the post. Many divine touches on the ball.

These are the games where a makeshift left back gets found out...Raylor completely out of his depth and not just the mistakes, his concetration, postitioning and tackling were all poor. Not idea why Santon can't get a game.

Deserved win for City who dominated nearly the whole match,

Sameobi some nice touches and I like the way he runs so freely with the ball.

Krul - 6 - One magnificent save, awkward distribution, didn't make too much of an effort at the pens.

Simpson - 6.5 - fairly solid performance by his standards

Saylor - 6 - decent

Coloccini - 7 - good as usual, some great shepherding and shielding when city would break free 1 on 1. as has been common this season he spent a lot of his time in the left back area because of the ineptitude of...

Raylor - 3 - not surprised at his performance, it's been coming. no doubt people will throw the word kneejerk around which makes it difficult to have an actual discussion. shit fullback who is fortunate to have a great right foot.

Jonas - 4 - awful from him, reminder of the relegation season. the rest from the international break shouldve left him fit and energised, but he looked as knackered as he did after stoke. carrying something or just out of form?

Cabaye - 5 - anonymous sadly. doesn't seem to play well with guthrie as he's forced to play more defensively.

Guthrie - 7 - been a string of really good performances from him. pinged it around well, always showed himself, positive on the ball and drove us on. one of our top 3 performers.

Ameobi - 6 - encouraging, but not there yet. poor positioning in the first half as the game passed him by. got better as the match went on and showed some neat dribbles, but not enough to actually be a threat.

Ben Arfa - 7 - definitely our best attacker, lots of good inventive short passing, some thrilling dribbles, and made a couple of outright great chances that we're unfortunate not to score. looks an echelon above some of our other players talent wise. clumsy for the penalty though.

Ba - 5 - very poor for most the game. not suited to a targetman role from the looks of things. had one or two moments mind, including the goal.

Good showing against one of the best teams in the world.  3-1 to them a little flattering because we by and large shot ourselves in the foot but there's no question they were going to dominate and in all likelihood win this game.

Aye, I think even without the two penalties, you still bet on them to win, they can just step up through the gears any time they want to, their bench is frightening. Pathetic pointless way to compete if you ask me but there you go.

The title's theirs, just have the ceremony now, give everyone else zero points for the games with them and cut out the pointless 90 minutes of playing them.

Feel exactly the same. Not felt as deflated about a match for a while. They make a mockery of the entire sport with the squad and manager they have. There's no genius to it at all. "Oh hey, let's overspend on twenty absolutely world class players". Their funds are like a cheat on Football Manager or something.

Well I wouldn't say no to all the resources they have.

I would, said so before. Hollow as f***.

Are you honestly saying if we had an owner like Man City you would be disappointed if he got us world class players?

I'd probably get caught up in the initial excitement of it... but the fact that it's incredibly phony and devoid of all footballing honour would come back around eventually. The team of their quality should take years and years to amass.

Guest VaVaVoom

I'm a bit confused why Pardew took off Ben Arfa and Sammy Ameobi, our two creative outlets.

Ben Arfa came off as he's still getting back to full fitness

Sammeobi probably because he plays a lot of games in the reserves and not used to playing 90 minutes at the pace of the first team games

Cabaye because he's only come back from injury.

Made total sense to me like.

Barfa had a good game, we werent going to get back in it really and why risk an injury?

Same applies for Cabaye.

Sameobi ran and ran and ran, he was knackered.

Lets hope Obertan and Best are back to bulk up the bench against Man U.

Good showing against one of the best teams in the world.  3-1 to them a little flattering because we by and large shot ourselves in the foot but there's no question they were going to dominate and in all likelihood win this game.

Aye, I think even without the two penalties, you still bet on them to win, they can just step up through the gears any time they want to, their bench is frightening. Pathetic pointless way to compete if you ask me but there you go.

The title's theirs, just have the ceremony now, give everyone else zero points for the games with them and cut out the pointless 90 minutes of playing them.

Feel exactly the same. Not felt as deflated about a match for a while. They make a mockery of the entire sport with the squad and manager they have. There's no genius to it at all. "Oh hey, let's overspend on twenty absolutely world class players". Their funds are like a cheat on Football Manager or something.

Are you honestly saying if we had an owner like Man City you would be disappointed if he got us world class players?

In the way they've done it, yes.

Btw our owner could do what theirs has if he really wanted to.

The defeat was expected.

But at 3-0 i was so aggrieved. I think a 2 goal defeat would have been accepted with open arms before the game, but whether or not City got out of 2nd or 3rd gear doesn't matter. We arguably created 3 or 4 very good chances to their...1 or 2 from open play.

We played very well to the 3rd goal, which obviously took the wind out of our sails.

Thanks Raylor for the last 12 games but hopefully Pards now changes the side, and brings Santon in.

I really think 4 points from our next 2 games is a possibility.

Not looking forward to the media's portrayal of the game though  :joey:

He just isn't a footballer, tbh. He's been blessed with a terrific ability to strike the ball but everything else is lower league stuff.

Jonas can't be too happy having to do his defending every single game.

Harsh on he isn't footballer. It just left back isn't his position definitely because he can't defend to save his life.

But you'd not piss anyone off doing that and where's the fun in that?

I'd hate us to be like them tbh.

agreed. honestly rather have some cunt like ashley despite his many faults.

despise them and their inevitable league title will be tainted for me. makes a mockery of sport to do what they're doing.

He just isn't a footballer, tbh. He's been blessed with a terrific ability to strike the ball but everything else is lower league stuff.

Harsh on he isn't footballer. It just left back isn't his position definitely because he can't defend to save his life.

He isn't an attacker either, though.

Well fair enough then, but I hardly think Ashley would have the spending power as Arab oil money has.

well he just lower league footballer i does agree on that... not premiership standard.

I'd hate us to be like them tbh.

agreed. honestly rather have some cunt like ashley despite his many faults.

despise them and their inevitable league title will be tainted for me. makes a mockery of sport to do what they're doing.

:lol:

At least we're actually 'building' something. City haven't built anything. They've just bought a mansion.

Well fair enough then, but I hardly think Ashley would have the spending power as Arab oil money has.

They've spend circa £440m net since 2006, Ashley's personal wealth is three times that. I wouldn't want to spend money like that though, it's a joke.

well he just lower league footballer i does agree on that... not premiership standard.

he's a back-up utility player from Wigan. no more, no less.

Thought it was a good showing against the best team in the league. With Tiote out as well, makes it easier to take. A few positives and a few negatives. The negatives being how in the name of hell Ryan Taylor did not get subbed off for Santon, after having a farce of a game. And Jonas making a disappearing act for pretty much the entire game, and when he did appear he was doing his usual "better run head down into 3, no 4 City players while I'm carrying this ball, aw yeah that's the stuff!". Simpson wasn't exactly Sergio Ramos-material out there either, and you can easily say our fullbacks got exposed as our weak links. Positives was Ben Arfa, who showed what an instrumental player he will be. Shame that Ba didn't blast that ball into the net. Colo had a decent game, showed some pace. Cabaye and Krul deserves mentions as well. Oh, and Sammy isn't ready for this yet. Maybe against the easier teams as an impact sub.

Krul 7

Simpson 5

Colo 6

Saylor 6

Raylor 3

Sammy 4

Guthrie 5

Cabaye 6

Jonas 4

Ben Arfa 7

Ba 5