Rooney's assault on Coloccini

James

Personally, I'd rather he channelled his anger into his performance rather than running the length of the pitch to stick up for someone that is more than capable of doing so himself.  Best not do it again, or he's a complete f***ing idiot.  Justifying it is a bit stupid, especially considering if it was on the other foot we'd be crying into our dinners.

I thought ben Arfa was lucky not to get sent off. He ran 40 yards to get involved in something that was nowt to do with him and for which Rooney and Colocinni had already shook hands on and were about to get on with the game.

Give over. How on earth could that constitute a red card?

:lol: Agreed, ridiculous suggesing so.

Personally, I'd rather he channelled his anger into his performance rather than running the length of the pitch to stick up for someone that is more than capable of doing so himself.  Best not do it again, or he's a complete f***ing idiot.  Justifying it is a bit stupid, especially considering if it was on the other foot we'd be crying into our dinners.

I thought ben Arfa was lucky not to get sent off. He ran 40 yards to get involved in something that was nowt to do with him and for which Rooney and Colocinni had already shook hands on and were about to get on with the game.

At worst it was only a yellow card for Ben Arfa.

Personally, I'd rather he channelled his anger into his performance rather than running the length of the pitch to stick up for someone that is more than capable of doing so himself.  Best not do it again, or he's a complete fucking idiot.  Justifying it is a bit stupid, especially considering if it was on the other foot we'd be crying into our dinners.

Sent off for what? ??? running across the pitch to argue something a red card offence now?

Give over. How on earth could that constitute a red card?

Yellow was spot on imo.  He did look fooking mental though  :lol:

"Coloccini did his best to bring the worst out of Wayne Rooney." - Colin Murray.

:lol: :lol:

Was nice to see someone at the BBC willing to call it what it was, it wasn't 'assault' but the way they (including Shearer) made out that Rooney was delicately trying to tap the ball away from Colo was pathetic.

Watched it properly a fair few times now, and I'm actually baffled at how some can say that that is not a red card. He has no intentions at all at playing the ball, he's just kicking as hard as he possibly can. There's such malice in it, it's dangerous play and he clearly hits Colo's foot as well, how he just gets up and gets on with it amazes me.

Guest Minusmensch

To me it looks like he's "going for the ball", as in "hey, I can use the ball as an exuse to go nuts and kick someone". Do I know? Obviously no, but the way he goes in with rather powerful kicks in that kind of a situation kinda speaks for itself in my eyes.

I think he is enough of a cunt to know if the ball is there then he can say he was going for it  but there was intent in that no doubt about it. And of course it will be in the ref's notes so the FA cannot take any action and after the pen fk up they wouldn't act anyway.

Rooney got sent off for less brutal things against Montenegro

Nah. :lol:

They are as bad as each other, just that here he can claim that he tried to play the ball. It's a shame that some people, including the ref, seems to be buying that though.

Didn't see a thread devoted to the incident. This is a cut and paste from the HBA thread:

I was horribly disappointed with HBA's reaction to the Rooney incident and it seemed that it affected his game more than Rooney's. To my eye, Colo handled it perfectly. Rooney appeared to be trying to intimidate Colo and get under his skin. Colo looked at him with a "meh" attitude and shook his hand, essentially ignoring him as though he were not worth the time of day. The ref was going to give Rooney a once over and likely say something along the lines of "one more incident and you'll be in my book" which seems very common among English ref's. Instead HBA sprints 35 yards and loses his mind, which means the ref turns his attention to HBA and books him rather than maintaining focus on Rooney.

Net affect was that HBA's game was affected as he was walking the line instead of Rooney.

Seen a few decent comments on it today.

This one from Who Ate All The Pies' site, won't link the article as it's got a video in it

Should Wayne Rooney Escape Unpunished For Kicking Lumps Out Of Fabricio Coloccini?

By Chris Wright

I don’t mind admitting it absolutely galled me that the sycophantic tools on the Match of the Day sofa just flat-out refused to acknowledge and/or call-out Wayne Rooney’s petulant slash at a prone Fabricio Coloccini last night, despite watching replay after replay of the United meathead poorly masking his errant boot as an attempt to prise the ball out from underneath the Newcastle centre-half.

All three pundits – Lineker, Lawrenson and, least surprisingly, Shearer – saw ‘absolutely nothing wrong’ with this…

I’d have been willing to give Rooney the benefit of the doubt after the first kick – Coloccini was sitting on the ball after all – but the second punt was a dead give away.

What me, you and the braying were seeing was Rooney dealing with quick-onset provocation due to Coloccini’s ragged challenge in the only way his brain (which I’d be willing to venture is roughly 85% Shippam’s Beef Paste) could process it – a thoughtless spike of venomous, moronic aggression.

There seems to be a common misconception that Rooney has turned a corner when it comes to things like this. Rubbish, ask Miodrag Dzudovic for details. Any other player would’ve been disciplined for the deliberate kick on Coloccini either during or after the game. Rooney didn’t even see a yellow, though Hatem Ben Arfa did for his reaction to seeing a prone teammate having lumps kicked out of him.

Why does Rooney continually have this kind of dumb aggression written off as nothing more that a mere ‘by-product of his game’, a ‘crime of passion’ if you will? Why people? Why?!?!

For me it's definitely a yellow, pretty perplexed with the MOTD lot all saying it was absolutely fine.

Also, any chance of a thread title change, cringing every time I see it.

Definitely not a red, he kicks the ball first time and the second is momemtum and Colo is too quick.

However, when the ball is lodged between players on the floor it's pretty common for players to take advantage of the fact they can kick the ball and the man at the sametime.

Pretty common for Rooney certainly.

and the second is momemtum and Colo is too quick.

This is what they went with on MotD but I think it's also an exaggeration. Yes, it goes relatively quickly but definitely not too quickly for Rooney to realise the ball was gone and slow his momentum. No need to lash in again a second time which is why it should have been a yellow, imo.

Definitely not a red, he kicks the ball first time and the second is momemtum and Colo is too quick.

However, when the ball is lodged between players on the floor it's pretty common for players to take advantage of the fact they can kick the ball and the man at the sametime.

Fuck off is the second kick momentum, the second kick is a deliberate attempt at hurting Coloccini, he's clearly lashing out in frustration. Disgusts me that some on here don't think it's a red tbh.