Rooney's assault on Coloccini

James

Is Rooney really trying to hurt Coloccini with either kick? The second one looks worse as the ball was kicked away before Rooney could connect. I would agree he was being very overly aggressive and for that it is a foul, but he looked like he was going for the ball most of all.

When I first saw it I thought it was a nailed on yellow, but when replayed from a better angle slower, it didn't look as nailed on a yellow as I first thought. Borderline yellow if anything. Colo shook his hands and was not injured, it was over.  I get why Ben Arfra was pissed about, he only got to see it once and it may well have looked over the top to him at the time.

It shouldn't be compared to the Montenagro red card, as that was no question a petulant kick for the player and not for the ball.

Both kicks were in aggression and in retaliation to Colo's tackle tbh. You don't need back lift to scoop a ball away from under a player.

is the correct answer, what was he gonna acheive by kicking the ball that hard? where was he planning on putting the ball? a skillful player like rooney could bring the ball out of there if he liked and be in possession. he was lashing out, and he did it twice, while his opponent was on the floor and unable to move.

Is there not some sort of rule about 'excessive force' being worthy of a red card? Rooney knew exactly what he was doing, you could see the anger on his face and there was  nothing on his mind other than trying to boot Colo. Therefore should have been a red in my opinion for violent conduct.

Is there not some sort of rule about 'excessive force' being worthy of a red card? Rooney knew exactly what he was doing, you could see the anger on his face and there was  nothing on his mind other than trying to boot Colo. Therefore should have been a red in my opinion for violent conduct.

You can read peoples minds? Freaky.

You can read peoples minds? Freaky.

It's only people with Asperger syndrome who cannot.  Rooney's intent was written on his face.

Seen a few decent comments on it today.

This one from Who Ate All The Pies' site, won't link the article as it's got a video in it

Should Wayne Rooney Escape Unpunished For Kicking Lumps Out Of Fabricio Coloccini?

By Chris Wright

I don’t mind admitting it absolutely galled me that the sycophantic tools on the Match of the Day sofa just flat-out refused to acknowledge and/or call-out Wayne Rooney’s petulant slash at a prone Fabricio Coloccini last night, despite watching replay after replay of the United meathead poorly masking his errant boot as an attempt to prise the ball out from underneath the Newcastle centre-half.

All three pundits – Lineker, Lawrenson and, least surprisingly, Shearer – saw ‘absolutely nothing wrong’ with this…

I’d have been willing to give Rooney the benefit of the doubt after the first kick – Coloccini was sitting on the ball after all – but the second punt was a dead give away.

What me, you and the braying were seeing was Rooney dealing with quick-onset provocation due to Coloccini’s ragged challenge in the only way his brain (which I’d be willing to venture is roughly 85% Shippam’s Beef Paste) could process it – a thoughtless spike of venomous, moronic aggression.

There seems to be a common misconception that Rooney has turned a corner when it comes to things like this. Rubbish, ask Miodrag Dzudovic for details. Any other player would’ve been disciplined for the deliberate kick on Coloccini either during or after the game. Rooney didn’t even see a yellow, though Hatem Ben Arfa did for his reaction to seeing a prone teammate having lumps kicked out of him.

Why does Rooney continually have this kind of dumb aggression written off as nothing more that a mere ‘by-product of his game’, a ‘crime of passion’ if you will? Why people? Why?!?!

For me it's definitely a yellow, pretty perplexed with the MOTD lot all saying it was absolutely fine.

Also, any chance of a thread title change, cringing every time I see it.

Sadly, predictably true. He really doesn't seem to like Colo.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Seemed a yellow to me seeing it on replay.

What was Cabaye's card for anyway? Was mentioned earlier, but I don't think I saw it. Just him fuming at being carded.

Throwing the ball to a Man U player for a throw in in a `petulant` manner. Yet Fabio Da Silva can jump, scream, shout wave his arms around like a 5 year old in the assistant refs face for at least 5 seconds but escape punishment because he was already on a yellow.

Seen a few decent comments on it today.

This one from Who Ate All The Pies' site, won't link the article as it's got a video in it

Should Wayne Rooney Escape Unpunished For Kicking Lumps Out Of Fabricio Coloccini?

By Chris Wright

I don’t mind admitting it absolutely galled me that the sycophantic tools on the Match of the Day sofa just flat-out refused to acknowledge and/or call-out Wayne Rooney’s petulant slash at a prone Fabricio Coloccini last night, despite watching replay after replay of the United meathead poorly masking his errant boot as an attempt to prise the ball out from underneath the Newcastle centre-half.

All three pundits – Lineker, Lawrenson and, least surprisingly, Shearer – saw ‘absolutely nothing wrong’ with this…

I’d have been willing to give Rooney the benefit of the doubt after the first kick – Coloccini was sitting on the ball after all – but the second punt was a dead give away.

What me, you and the braying were seeing was Rooney dealing with quick-onset provocation due to Coloccini’s ragged challenge in the only way his brain (which I’d be willing to venture is roughly 85% Shippam’s Beef Paste) could process it – a thoughtless spike of venomous, moronic aggression.

There seems to be a common misconception that Rooney has turned a corner when it comes to things like this. Rubbish, ask Miodrag Dzudovic for details. Any other player would’ve been disciplined for the deliberate kick on Coloccini either during or after the game. Rooney didn’t even see a yellow, though Hatem Ben Arfa did for his reaction to seeing a prone teammate having lumps kicked out of him.

Why does Rooney continually have this kind of dumb aggression written off as nothing more that a mere ‘by-product of his game’, a ‘crime of passion’ if you will? Why people? Why?!?!

For me it's definitely a yellow, pretty perplexed with the MOTD lot all saying it was absolutely fine.

Also, any chance of a thread title change, cringing every time I see it.

Sadly, predictably true. He really doesn't seem to like Colo.

It's become evident recently that this isn't true. He's been singing Colo's praises for the last month or so, even going as far as to call him the biggest reason for our high position in the table.

What was Cabaye's card for anyway? Was mentioned earlier, but I don't think I saw it. Just him fuming at being carded.

Throwing the ball to a Man U player for a throw in in a `petulant` manner. Yet Fabio Da Silva can jump, scream, shout wave his arms around like a 5 year old in the assistant refs face for at least 5 seconds but escape punishment because he was already on a yellow.

Rooney vividly shouted "fuck off" at the ref at one point and got nowt.

Guest guinness_fiend

Rooney didn't get booked or sent off.  We were incorrectly awarded a penalty that enabled us to salvage a point.

Swings and roundabouts.  Let's just focus on the weekend, eh?

Guest bimpy474

Aye and pull someone back and not get a second yellow for that too, which was given as a foul, yet Fergie wanted Guthrie sent off for a pull back that the ref gave advantage for as the player got away from Guthrie.

Garth Crooks in not talking garbage shocker!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9649524.stm

I don't mind Crooks actually. Granted he can spout a bit of guff but he's always erudite and composed, something you see very little of in the modern day ex-footballer pundit. His work against racism can also not be underestimated.

He also has presented the awards at my son's football club presentation evening, along with Ray Stubbs, and took the time to speak to all the boys and anyone else who wanted to talk to him.

He's a weirdo is Crooks, but he keeps including Colo in his team so he gets a thumbs up for that.

Yeah, but then spoils it by saying that he (previously) didn't believe that Colo had the ability to play consistently at a high level. Like so many pundits, it's like he (and others) watched Colo a few times in his first season for us and dismissed him and are only waking up now. If I read or hear any one talk about Colo has shown drastic improvement this season I think I'll scream.

He looks like Yoda and his team of the weeks usually consist of whoever has managed to score a goal.

Thickest person on TV by a mile.

claridge, merson, le tiss ?

They're more intelligent than Crooks like. Just.