Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

Getting a more gutted as the day goes on.

I know what you mean. I don't know why but this has affected me in a big way today, as if it was someone I knew personally! He wasn't even currently involved with NUFC, yet I find myself sat in an utter gut wrench. Really awful day  :(

Not that it matters to others here, but I do feel that the thread title should just be "RIP Gary Speed 1968-2011" and no more. It's a tragedy whichever way he died. No need to have the "takes his own life" in there at all, in my humble opinion.

:(

I'd just like to say for the record, the thread title was edited to that by me because at the time the news broke most people were unaware of the circumstances of his death. No disrespect was intended and I apologise if anyone found it offensive.

Don't think anyone thought any different. Was right title at time and was then the right time to change.

Still struggling with this, just does not compute

ok, nowt wrong with original, nowt wrong with request for change, nowt wrong with change or explanation. Move on now.

It's completely unfathomable. Especially after seeing him in the studio on FF seemingly normal. What on earth could have happened between leaving the studio and getting home to make him want to hang himself? Obviously if it is depression it just goes to show that no matter what people look like or how they seem you can never know what's going on upstairs.

Such a sad loss especially with him having so much to give to football still. Thoughts go out to his family, RIP :(

Gutted. When we remember him on Saturday we should remember him as a Welshman that he loved it with us. If the club can't do something classy Saturday then it never will.

I still can't get my head around it. It just makes no sense :(

That's the thing for me. You'd never convince anyone that this was true if they didn't see the news or whatever. Unreal.

Just goes to show how people are in public can bear no comparison to how they are inside.

I loved the fact that, no matter what, during his 6 years here you always knew No.11 was going to be in the line-up. A shining example of what it should mean to be a professional sportsman in age of pretenders, phonies, throwaway tossers and morons. Simply one of the best midfields, nay, players, to ever pull on the black and white. Goodbye Speedo.

I loved the fact that, no matter what, during his 6 years here you always knew No.11 was going to be in the line-up. A shining example of what it should mean to be a professional sportsman in age of pretenders, phonies, throwaway tossers and morons. Simply one of the best midfields, nay, players, to ever pull on the black and white. Goodbye Speedo.

:thup: :sadnod:

:slowclap:

RIP Gary - Toon legend and one of the good guys

Been totally in pieces today. To think such a lovely guy and such a total professional has been struggling against this every day of his life is horrible. To me it just highlights that you cannot tell how someone is inside, you HAVE to be compassionate all the time; also, how much the macho locker-room atmosphere means that you can't show any "weakness" mentally or physically. Football, and indeed society, needs to look at itself. The poor soul clearly had problems no-one was aware of and felt he couldn't ask for help.

I'm not thinking straight here. I think I need a cry. Sorry. I still can't get my head around this. God, his poor wife and family. :weep:

I'm surprised by how much I've been thinking about this today. When I heard it I thought, that's absolutely tragic and felt really sad about it, and felt for his family. But I didn't expect to feel as strongly about it 8 hours later. Guess it's the shock of it more than anything. Never, ever thought this would happen.

Between Leeds and toon fans, 18 people I know now have Speed as their FB profile pic

Gary was loved. :(

Not sure I can think of too many footballers who are/were as universally liked and respected, both as a player and a man.

devastated, few months ago he was on talk sport with alan brazil and i text in saying Gary Speed=Toon legend. ronnie read it out and i was well chuffed. Well that counts more then ever Gary, u are and always will be toon legend. Just been telling my 9 year old son how quality this guy was for newcastle. rest easy fella.

Only just heard this very sad news.

One of our best ever professionals and a really wonderful servant.

Whenever you heard him talk about our club it always came through how much love he had for it.

I remember him saying not so long ago how he thought he had his best times here.

Will always have the greatest respect for what he gave to the club.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Between Leeds and toon fans, 18 people I know now have Speed as their FB profile pic

Not sure I can think of too many footballers who are/were as universally liked and respected, both as a player and a man.

Definitely. Even RTG managed to pay their respects.

Gutted.

Definitely. Even RTG managed to pay their respects.

Gutted.

I'm sure that lot would remember to pay their respects to just about any prominent ex-toon player.

They're human beings at the end of the day, even if most of them have spent far too much time reducing their brain cell count in Trimdon Labour Club.