Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

When did encroaching during penalties stop being a reason to retake it?

Really bugs me how refs never enforce this, this was Burton's penalty against Wolves at the weekend. The keeper saves the penalty and one of the players who has encroached then clears the ball.

What is the ref looking at there? What is he doing?

image.jpg

Thinking about putting a bet on.

• 3 weeks later...

By fuck, the refereeing/linesmaning in this league is bad mind! I thought that last night was amongst the worst seen here for a long time. But I suppose he did give us 6 minutes stoppage though......

I think he got most things right, he was just very card happy. He could have took better control by talking to players, especially those who committed non-serious fouls in non threatening areas for the first time.

• 1 month later...

I notice Mike Dean is reffing the Birmingham vs Villa match at present.

How is this fair? I can understand why a more experienced official with authority is given what could be a tasty match, but he's a Premier League referee and clearly a class above most of the chumps that do the Championship. How is this fair to the rest of the league?

How is this fair? I can understand why a more experienced official with authority is given what could be a tasty match, but he's a Premier League referee and clearly a class above most of the chumps that do the Championship. How is this fair to the rest of the league?

It's not fair imo to the 2nd level of refs, how else will they get better if the games like Birmingham v Villa are deemed too big for them.

Also when premier league refs have a bad game they are stood down from the premier games for a week and ref in the lower divisions as a kind of punishment, not sure that's the reason in this case here mind. Or it might be Mike Dean is replacing an injured ref who's had to pull out.

Premier League referees often drop down, Roger East did our game at Rotherham. Stuart Atwell did a Leeds game the other day,  Stuart Pawson did Brighton v Preston.  None of them with the experience of Mike Dean yet, but it's not unusual.

Premier League referees often drop down, Roger East did our game at Rotherham. Stuart Atwell did a Leeds game the other day,  Stuart Pawson did Brighton v Preston.  None of them with the experience of Mike Dean yet, but it's not unusual.

And what Greg said  O0, they do still ref games lower down when no premier game is allocated to them.

I'm just not sure it's best practice, unless they simply don't have the numbers without doing so. I'm sure the league would deny it but IMO there's such a big difference in standards that it can fundamentally affect the outcome of a particular match. At least if the refs are shite they're shite for everyone.

I'm just not sure it's best practice, unless they simply don't have the numbers without doing so. I'm sure the league would deny it but IMO there's such a big difference in standards that it can fundamentally affect the outcome of a particular match. At least if the refs are shite they're shite for everyone.

Very true but if they aren't allocated a premier game, it seems a waste not to use them somewhere else. If it's completely above board and not because the EFL don't trust their own refs to ref game like this.

There's 18 referees in the select group that can referee Premier League games, max of 10 games a weekend so it makes sense to use the referees not selected in the next tier down.

I'm just not sure it's best practice, unless they simply don't have the numbers without doing so. I'm sure the league would deny it but IMO there's such a big difference in standards that it can fundamentally affect the outcome of a particular match. At least if the refs are s**** they're s**** for everyone.

There's 18 referees in the select group that can referee Premier League games, max of 10 games a weekend so it makes sense to use the referees not selected in the next tier down.

Do the other 8 refs not act as fourth official in those 10 games?

I'm just not sure it's best practice, unless they simply don't have the numbers without doing so. I'm sure the league would deny it but IMO there's such a big difference in standards that it can fundamentally affect the outcome of a particular match. At least if the refs are s**** they're s**** for everyone.

Do the other 8 refs not act as fourth official in those 10 games?

More often than not but not always, hence often only one dropping down for a game.

• 1 month later...

You can't complain about referee's. Each organisation pass you onto someone else. The Premier League and EFL pass you onto the referee's association, the referee's association pass you onto the FA, the FA pass you onto the Premier League or or EFL.

Keep reading from fans from other Championship teams that we are getting all the decisions this season. All I can see are refs giving us virtually nothing. Tonight's shambles of a refereeing performance will take some beating. Sky didn't even have time at HT to criticise the fool for disallowing our goal or failing to award a penalty for the challenge on Clark

That's the worst refereeing performance I've seen in my 23 years supporting this club. Not sure how he could get so many things wrong in the space of 45 minutes (and into the second half as well). Absolute joker.

I'd feel sorry for non league teams if he was managing at that level because he clearly has no concept regarding the rules.