Norwich City 4 - 2 Newcastle United - 10/12/11 - post-match reaction page 44

midds

The negativity on here man :lol: one bad game in 15 with S.Taylor, Colo, Guthrie and Tiote out get a grip! Take some positives out the game: 2 sublime goals from Ba, no more injuries and we're still gunna be in the top 7 for a minimum of two games which gives us time to get Tiote and Colo back.

:thup:

The steel in our side (bar Cabaye) has pretty much been systematically stripped out. Not sure what people were expecting. It was perhaps the most predictable match of the season.

We showed superior footballing skill and finesse, but lacked any strength to compete. Take the top three centre backs out of any club in the Premiership, then send them to deal with Holt and co - good luck keeping that clean sheet.

I beg to differ.  :azn:

No Sandro or Parker, too. :razz:

More like no Parker or Huddlestone. That leaves Modric and Sandro. :azn:

Just turned on this "You're on Sky Sports" thing before the real barca match and what the hell. The girl on the phones chatting absolute crap about us and then a norwich fan comes on trying to moan about the fact they said we were injury hit. haha laughable.

The more I think about the match the more I feel we have only ourselves to blame. Set pieces were always going to be key and we failed miserably. No excuse really, I'm sure they all knew what job they were supposed to do but we had no blockers and no one challenging the ball with any conviction. We desparately need Colo back.

Guest prestonj1989

Krul 6 - Not much to do and not at fault for any of the goals.

Taylor 6 - Didn't seem to be involved much. Put some reasonable crosses in the 2nd half.

Simpson 7 - Thought he was decent and surprisingly won many headers.

Perch 6 - OK in 1st half, didn't have a great view of 2nd half goals but gathering he was at fault for at least one, stupid FK given away for the fourth.

Santon 8 - Impressive, so much quality on the ball compared to what we are used to seeing from Simpson and Taylor. Definitely was not a deliberate handball for the penalty claim.

Obertan 3 - One good run all game. Had a clear ball over to Ba on the break which everyone in the stadium saw but him.

Cabaye 7 - Not his best game but certainly our best midfielder today.

Gosling 3 - Not really sure what he is supposed to be good at; not a good tackler, slow, no range of passing.

Jonas 5 - No real involvement. Looked a bit uneasy having to speak to Shola to calm him down after one of the goals.

Shola 6 - Poor first half but useful defending set pieces. Improved in second half. No surprise he wasn't captain after his behaviour after first goal.

Ba 8 - Thought he was involved about as much as Shola until the goals, which were brilliant.

Sammy 5 - Hope he turns out to be good but don't understand why he gets so much game time.

Thought Best should have started or at least come on for Shola. Ben Arfa has to start on the wing ahead of Obertan.

Credit to Lovenkrands who got all the players together at the end to applaud our fans. When Santon came off he did hold his thigh but did not go down the tunnel for treatment so probably just a minor injury.

Dan Gosling was our worst player today though in my opinion. Did next to nothing in the hour he was on the pitch and then well and truly cost us the game by getting sent off at 3-1. It looked unlikely and would have been a long way back from 3-1 but it was perhaps do-able with 11 men but with 10 it was just too much.

I totally agree. Have never been impressed by him even when he was at Everton. played like an idiot in the first half. managed to top that in the second by playing like a dick. Poor Cabaye.

I remember people at my throats when I laid into Gosling the last time he had a shit game.

I really expect to see more from him, but alas, haven't seen anything thus far to change my opinion on him.

I, once again iterate, hope he proves me (and a whole load of us) wrong.

That was fucking shit.  Defending for their goals was obviously awful but I'm pissed off with Pardew tonight - why the fuck did Ben Arfa not get on the pitch today?  His subs were absolutely pathetic.  We get someone sent off after 60 minutes and he brings his subs on after 80 mins like we're trying to close the game out, he's doing a good impression of a manager who hasn't got a fucking clue what he's doing.

Just got in from town. In short, not a great performance which I guess was expected with our two starting centre backs today. Simply put, Simpson and Perch aren't centre backs, we really missed Coloccini's commanding presence.

The defending for Norwich's set pieces was terrible. Free headers all round which led to their goals really. Poor.

The only positives come from Santon's performance, did well for his first PL start. He looked composed on the ball and his forward runs were good. Our goals were great too. Cabaye's ball to Ba was quality and great finishes from Ba.

Gosling's red card was a yellow card at most (would have got sent off anyway but like JH pointed out, a one game ban is better than a three game ban).

Another thing, Ben Arfa should have come on at some point. He would have given us some attacking outlet, Shola was poor.

MotD reckon no yellows for Norwich. Hmmmm. Disparity with reality...

Still think the red was at worst a second yellow for Gosling, but I haven't got a clue, apparently. I thought he was just trying to block the clearance, he stayed on his feet, we would have been disappointed back in the day if he hadn't done that. Players are so soft these days, everything was better in black and white (of course) etc.

MotD reckon no yellows for Norwich. Hmmmm. Disparity with reality...

Still think the red was at worst a second yellow for Gosling, but I haven't got a clue, apparently. I thought he was just trying to block the clearance, he stayed on his feet, we would have been disappointed back in the day if he hadn't done that. Players are so soft these days, everything was better in black and white (of course) etc.

They had a player booked just before Gosling got his yellow.

Just got in from town. In short, not a great performance which I guess was expected with our two starting centre backs today. Simply put, Simpson and Perch aren't centre backs, we really missed Coloccini's commanding presence.

The defending for Norwich's set pieces was terrible. Free headers all round which led to their goals really. Poor.

The only positives come from Santon's performance, did well for his first PL start. He looked composed on the ball and his forward runs were good. Our goals were great too. Cabaye's ball to Ba was quality and great finishes from Ba.

Gosling's red card was a yellow card at most (would have got sent off anyway but like JH pointed out, a one game ban is better than a three game ban).

Another thing, Ben Arfa should have come on at some point. He would have given us some attacking outlet, Shola was poor.

I thought Shola was better than usual. He seemed to be up for it, arguing with the ref a couple of times, and turned into a bit of a playmaker when we were down to 10. As others have probably said, how come when he got clattered clearing the ball it was yellow for whatsisname but the "experts" agree Gosling's was a straight red? Actually, even the Sky commentator said Gosling's yellow was a cheap one to keep the baying crowd happy, so two wrongs making a big wrong there.

I'm always glass-half-full (and if it's not I'll refill it) so I'll posit that we have the makings of a decent team here if we keep them. I can only hope I imagined a long-haired Alan Smith wandering onto the pitch at the death, but if I didn't then at least he managed not to make his usual impression by getting booked or sent off with his first contribution.

And while my glass is overflowing, that Cabaye impressed me yet again. He put me in mind of an NFL quarterback in that he can take one glance, see where everyone is, where they're going, and where the ball needs to go. I'd like to keep him but I increasingly feel that we are in constant selling mode. S**t, my glass just fell off the table. S**t.  :sad:

As well as having their central defensive pairing out injured, Newcastle are also without Martin Williamson, Danny Guthrie and Cheick Tiote. But Pardew expects "one or two" players to return in the near future.
:okay:

I thought Shola was better than usual. He seemed to be up for it, arguing with the ref a couple of times, and turned into a bit of a playmaker when we were down to 10. As others have probably said, how come when he got clattered clearing the ball it was yellow for whatsisname but the "experts" agree Gosling's was a straight red? Actually, even the Sky commentator said Gosling's yellow was a cheap one to keep the baying crowd happy, so two wrongs making a big wrong there.

I'm always glass-half-full (and if it's not I'll refill it) so I'll posit that we have the makings of a decent team here if we keep them. I can only hope I imagined a long-haired Alan Smith wandering onto the pitch at the death, but if I didn't then at least he managed not to make his usual impression by getting booked or sent off with his first contribution.

And while my glass is overflowing, that Cabaye impressed me yet again. He put me in mind of an NFL quarterback in that he can take one glance, see where everyone is, where they're going, and where the ball needs to go. I'd like to keep him but I increasingly feel that we are in constant selling mode. S**t, my glass just fell off the table. S**t.  :sad:

Actually tbf to Shola, that was a great through ball to Ba for our second goal.

Krul 6.5 Not too much he could do about those goals today.

Santon 6.5 Looks great on the ball but didn't get too involved in an attacking sense, it will be interesting to see how he can cross the ball

Simpson 5.5 Fought hard but evidently unsure on defending set pieces

Perch 4 Shit

Raylor 6 Didn't put a foot wrong but never had much of an opportunity to get forward and put some good balls in the box.

Jonas 5.5 Not involved at all in an attacking sense and i really thought he was disappointing today minus winning one or two free kicks in good positions

Cabaye 7.5 Faptastic assist and solid in possession all game long

Gosling 3.5 Talk about failing to take your chance.

Obertan 6 Don't think he was as bad as i've seen some people mention. Great run early second half for Ba's chance

Shola 7.5 PLayed incredibly well today i thought. Great ball for Demba's second as well as the cross for Ba's early chance in the second chance. Held up the ball well

Ba 8.5 Top finishes for his two goals. Best player on the pitch i thought.

Actually tbf to Shola, that was a great through ball to Ba for our second goal.

Well....it was easy to spot, and I think he was kind of lucky to strike it with the appropriate force that was needed. I don´t expect him to do as well the next time the same scenario arises.

Guest SuperShola!

For f***s sake take off your rose tinted f***ing glasses. Obertan may have had a poor game, but he still outshone Jonas by a country mile. Jonas provided no threat whatsoever.

You're clueless.

Guest SuperShola!

There is a reason CT was banned from Toontastic, yer kna.

I wasnt banned you bullshitting wum?

I still post there.

Time you put up or shut up tbf.  :lol:

Sorry, you threw a massive interweb hissy fit and left for a little bit. I've met some dodgy cab drivers in my time but you're one of the most tedious :lol:

RTG-tastic :lol: