Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

thanks, liked this bit especially :)

"I have matured and grown, especially with this long injury but, deep down, I remain the same. The other day in training everybody shouted at me because after tricking the goalkeeper I then waited again to trick him again and then shot wide. I know it annoys everyone and I know I won't change. But, it's that kind of football that I like.

"However, I am adapting and I am correcting myself to fit into the professional mould because I know I am paid to win matches and not to amuse myself, but learning to adapt doesn't mean I will forget my instinct.

thanks, liked this bit especially :)

"I have matured and grown, especially with this long injury but, deep down, I remain the same. The other day in training everybody shouted at me because after tricking the goalkeeper I then waited again to trick him again and then shot wide. I know it annoys everyone and I know I won't change. But, it's that kind of football that I like.

"However, I am adapting and I am correcting myself to fit into the professional mould because I know I am paid to win matches and not to amuse myself, but learning to adapt doesn't mean I will forget my instinct.

I do like that. Reminds me of a young Fabulous Phil Carman [/gratuitous AFL reference, sorry].

The other day in training everybody shouted at me because after tricking the goalkeeper I then waited again to trick him again and then shot wide.

Sure as fuck hope he never does that in a match, like. :lol: Unless he's already grabbed himself a hat trick and there's no time for the opponents to make us pay for it. :lol:

The other day in training everybody shouted at me because after tricking the goalkeeper I then waited again to trick him again and then shot wide.

Sure as fuck hope he never does that in a match, like. :lol:

Just once it would be nice- it would add to the aura. Provided we're minimum two goals up deep in injury time.

Sure as f*** hope he never does that in a match, like. :lol:

Just once it would be nice- it would add to the aura. Provided we're minimum two goals up deep in injury time.

Reminds me of a Maradona goal for Barca where he sits the keeper down, then instead of tapping it into the empty net, waits for a defender to come running in to block and then does him as well.

Or my favourite of Beardsley's goals for us where he does pretty much the same thing (can't remember who it's against, think maybe Portsmouth)

Sure as f*** hope he never does that in a match, like. :lol:

Reminds me of a Maradona goal for Barca where he sits the keeper down, then instead of tapping it into the empty net, waits for a defender to come running in to block and then does him as well.

Or my favourite of Beardsley's goals for us where he does pretty much the same thing (can't remember who it's against, think maybe Portsmouth)

Fuck it, I'll expand on the Fabulous Phil incident. He was a flamboyant forward for Collingwood (and several other teams) in the 70s- once got suspended for 20 matches for headbutting an umpire. Anyway, one game at Victoria Park (Pies home ground) he took a decent mark in kicking distance of goal. He was a right footer with a free kick at goal- so naturally decided to show off and kick for goal left footed. Predictably, he missed. Thankfully, we still won.

Those are the players you go to the football to watch.

Every day in training, he works really hard". Ba said something strange : Ben arfa doesn’t like when people see that he’s working hard. Sometimes he has the appearance of someone who doesn’t care, nonchalant… But in fact it’s not true.

:smitten:

Thanks for the translation, much appreciated :)

Was really a strange sentence from Ba here indeed. Said something like : "Hatem doesn't like when we say it but he dislikes when we see him working hard"...  :lol:

Well I would say I'd pay to see Hatem training hard because he's not very near to be the laziest player I've ever seen when training. :lol:

Look at him during the warm up before matches, he just does the minimum effort! It's crazy, don't know how he does for the match after...

But if he can score goals like yesterday, don't care tbh...

There's something about that sentence which reminds me off someone who lacks(or lacked) inner confidence - they're shy of people seeing them try hard...and also a sign that a previously troubled person  has been able to turn a huge corner in their life

Yep, looking into that WAY too much :lol:

Completely untrue. Being the talent that he's been all his life, he probably made things look easy without having to look like he had to work very hard. This is probably the first time in his career where he really had to work his ass off after his legbreak and he's not used to people seeing his hardworking side, hence the shy and reserved reaction.

Not that I expect most people to understand the psychology of a genius.

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

a video circulating HBA vs. Bolton (H) 11-12 HD 720p by NakkDZmendo

surYT

My favorite Action 5:04

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7664682/

Ben Arfa - I have matured

France international feels at home with the Toon Army

Hatem Ben Arfa has revealed he will not change his maverick tendencies but insists he is adopting a more professional approach to his game.

The Newcastle forward has produced the type of dazzling performances in recent weeks - three goals in five matches - that are seeing him finally fulfil his potential.

Ben Arfa, however, was renowned in France for his technical ability and playground dribbles.

He gave an example of it the other day in training as he went around the goalkeeper, and then waited to beat him again, before shooting wide.

His impudence prompted some of his team-mates to scold him but after recovering from his double fracture of the leg, the France international maintains he will not change his game.

Professional

"I have matured and grown, especially with this long injury but, deep down, I remain the same," he told The Independent.

"The other day in training everybody shouted at me because after tricking the goalkeeper I then waited again to trick him again and then shot wide. I know it annoys everyone and I know I won't change. But, it's that kind of football that I like.

"However, I am adapting and I am correcting myself to fit into the professional mould because I know I am paid to win matches and not to amuse myself, but learning to adapt doesn't mean I will forget my instinct."

As a youngster much was expected of Ben Arfa who at times has struggled with the responsibility that accompanies being a professional footballer.

Respected

However, at Newcastle, he seems to found a spiritual home and a place where maverick footballers are adored by the public.

He added: "I feel right here. I do not want to leave England. This is real football, it is here that you have it, with passion, excitement, and the public.

"I have already played in Milan, Madrid and Barcelona but it is here that I feel right on the pitch. And also it is here that the players are respected.

"You need to realise and can you believe it that when Newcastle was relegated in 2009, the players did a lap of honour and the fans still applauded them during that last match.

"Since I was a young child, everyone is waiting for me to produce. To resist all that, you have to be more solid. The problem is that I often feel I have disappointed more than pleased people."

I had a dream about Hatem last night. Very detailed.

Me and my friend were going to some secret, ticketed event in a place on top of a hill. It was hard to get in so a large black man helped us. There I met Hatem Ben Arfa and Ryan Taylor. Ignoring Ryan, I spoke to Hatem at length, had a good laugh. He gave me a load of training gear that he had with him for some reason. Lukas Podolski turned up with FC Koln for a friendly but that didn't feature in the rest of the dream.

Then we had such a fun day out. Went to a massive waterslide and I was too scared to go up so Hatem stayed with me and we ran about a bit. Went for something to eat, too. Once we got back he ditched me but I didn't mind. It was awesome.

Hatem is such a complex character, you can easily come to that conclusion in every interview. He speaks at length about his mental state as well as the football culture in the area. Absolutely brilliant that he has taken to our club and our area so much. Credit to AP for finally seemingly to unlock the true HBA potential that we were able to witness a bit last season before the injury, and credit to our medical staff, the one at Clairfontaine and the man himself for continuing to work hard and listen to AP and the backroom staff.

Long long may this continue as we have the ability to win any match with this lad on the pitch, he fears absolutely nobody and will run at at any defender, skin any defender and has that takeover the match type of mentality.  You pinch yourself a bit sometimes in disbelief that we've got a player of his ability and his ridiculous technique. 

Ben Arfa is getting some fantastic publicity for the club. We haven't really built the clubs finances up since relegation, we've just cut costs and relied on the increased Sky money but that has to change and Ben Arfa is creating an interest from outside our fanbase that I haven't seen in years and it's all positive.

I had a dream about Hatem last night. Very detailed.

Me and my friend were going to some secret, ticketed event in a place on top of a hill. It was hard to get in so a large black man helped us. There I met Hatem Ben Arfa and Ryan Taylor. Ignoring Ryan, I spoke to Hatem at length, had a good laugh. He gave me a load of training gear that he had with him for some reason. Lukas Podolski turned up with FC Koln for a friendly but that didn't feature in the rest of the dream.

Then we had such a fun day out. Went to a massive waterslide and I was too scared to go up so Hatem stayed with me and we ran about a bit. Went for something to eat, too. Once we got back he ditched me but I didn't mind. It was awesome.

:lol: Those are the sort of dreams you wake up to and immediately try to get back to kip to see if you can 'get it back' - regardless of whether or not you need to be up for work.

Ben Arfa is getting some fantastic publicity for the club. We haven't really built the clubs finances up since relegation, we've just cut costs and relied on the increased Sky money but that has to change and Ben Arfa is creating an interest from outside our fanbase that I haven't seen in years and it's all positive.

Yep. I was out in Leeds on Saturday night. Everyone, and I mean everyone, wanted to talk about NUFC.

Definitely Portsmouth away.

One of my favourite Beardsley goals too. Absolute genius skill.