Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

I don't see what harm playing him on the wing would do? I mean we're getting absolutely nothing from Obertan and we're still conceding goals for fun at the moment too so it's hardly going to get worse if Ben Arfa plays. He needs to start from the off though not these cameo roles where he has to make an immediate impact, needs to have time to have a real impact on the game. Playing him on the wing would mean he could persist with two strikers up front or play Vuckic behind the striker or he should just play Ben Arfa behind Ba. We need something different now, he needs to start.

Poor tactics last night.  Let's bring on a #10, continue to play long, aimless balls that haven't been working all night and see what happens..

Showed why he should be starting out wide for us, everytime he beat someone in the middle of the pitch, he just got crowded out and lost it.  Yet in wide positions once he beats his man, he is going to have room to work the ball.

Obertan is so shite and Jonas has gone right off the boil.  But Pards' knows best, HBA hasn't got the 'relish' to play out wide  :hmm:

Wish he wouldn't drop so deep to pick the ball up, i know he wants to get involved but want him getting it on the edge of the area where he can get shots off or little passes into the likes of Ba.  Do not want to see him coming to the halfway line and losing the ball trying to dribble past someone like he did in tonights game.

He was the only one with the balls to do it though, the long ball shite wasn't working and Vuckic made himself available for a pass out of defence about twice all night.

Players absolutely have to move when he's on the ball mind, he gets it and the majority just stand there and watch. Jonas being one of the worst culprits for it. It's a two way thing with Pardew, if he expects him to up his game in that no. 10 role, he's going to have to switch it round a bit tactically too.

Good to see him looking so sharp though, looked like his old nimble self on the ball.

what harm playing him on the wing would do?

hasnt HBA asked not to play htere?

I'm sure he was told he would play the "No 10" in the team and even when he first joined he said thats where he saw himself playing, not dissimilar from what Nasri said during his time at Arsenal. Although he doesn't really look capable of that role in the current set up. My biggest problem with him is that he is yet ANOTHER ball carrier, which is not a criticism of his play and would be fine if we didn't already have two static widemen who can't/won't run anywhere without the ball at their feet. Two players who offer very little attacking threat and seem invisible until they're given the chance to run a bit and either fall down, or do a few step overs and pass back to the full back. But it does mean that when he's attacking he's only ever going to have Ba as a viable attacking option since our wide men won't find space or break into the box. I think thats why far to often we see him try and take on 3 men, simply due to lack of options.

Really, he needs to start in place of Obertan (not sure anyone disagrees on that) But Pardew seems reluctant to upset the defensive balance, and after conceeding 10 in the last 4 games i don't think he's going to chance that stance at the moment.

Players absolutely have to move when he's on the ball mind, he gets it and the majority just stand there and watch. Jonas being one of the worst culprits for it. It's a two way thing with Pardew, if he expects him to up his game in that no. 10 role, he's going to have to switch it round a bit tactically too.

Good to see him looking so sharp though, looked like his old nimble self on the ball.

Jonas stopped making forward runs off the ball a while ago, maybe when Enrique left. He used to do it quite a lot when he first arrived, not sure what has happened in that area.

He did well when he came on but needs to stop trying to do everything himself and stop coming back to the 18 yard line to pick up the ball off our centre halves.

He does, but it's a blinkered criticism. Would you prefer he took up his position with Ba, Vuckic, Jonas and Obertan on the edge of the opponents box and waited for long balls?

Lovely ball for Ba's second goal. Partly for the execution, but mainly for having the imagination to see the possibility.

Moments like that separate him from mere mortal footballers. He is capable of Messi/Beardsley esque moments and we must find a way to accomodate him.

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

we saw right away the difference in attack when he replaced BEST

some nice action

but lacks speed and automation with its partners

But to do that it must play

Guest neesy111

Has to start now.  Still get annoyed with how long he takes to release the ball but is still far better than anyone else bar Ba in the team.

Lovely ball for Ba's second goal. Partly for the execution, but mainly for having the imagination to see the possibility.

I was expecting him to just take the volley on, or bring it down and work it onto his left, think WBA players were as well. 

Class

Guest hatem garrincha

Has he ever played on the right?

Yes.

He's not a "pure" winger - the kind of player who will run along the line and deliver crosses in the box (he's reluctant to do so, we even saw that yesterday)

That's why he's more useful on the right, if he has to play out wide. That allow him to express his creativity more.