Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Confidence Key For Hatem

Leon Best believes Newcastle fans could see some special performances from Hatem Ben Arfa between now and the end of the season, thanks to the Frenchman's growing self-confidence.

Ben Arfa netted his second goal of the season last weekend as United triumphed over Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup third round, and it was a stunning individual strike which saw the forward carry the ball from the halfway line before firing home.

After spending nine months sidelined by a double leg break last season, that goal was a big boost for Ben Arfa, who is still finding his feet following the horror injury.

And Best - who is a close friend of the former Marseille man - reckons Ben Arfa is looking more assured every time he steps out onto the pitch.

"It's a matter of Hatem believing in himself, as well as people getting on him and keeping him in a happy mood," Best told nufc.co.uk.

"He's a funny character, but a lovely guy and I get on very well with him. It is sometimes a matter of confidence within yourself, and it came out against Blackburn last weekend.

"That will help him progress and show his talent even more this season."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20120112/confidence-key-for-hatem_2281670_2574465

Confidence Key For Hatem

Leon Best believes Newcastle fans could see some special performances from Hatem Ben Arfa between now and the end of the season, thanks to the Frenchman's growing self-confidence.

Ben Arfa netted his second goal of the season last weekend as United triumphed over Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup third round, and it was a stunning individual strike which saw the forward carry the ball from the halfway line before firing home.

After spending nine months sidelined by a double leg break last season, that goal was a big boost for Ben Arfa, who is still finding his feet following the horror injury.

And Best - who is a close friend of the former Marseille man - reckons Ben Arfa is looking more assured every time he steps out onto the pitch.

"It's a matter of Hatem believing in himself, as well as people getting on him and keeping him in a happy mood," Best told nufc.co.uk.

"He's a funny character, but a lovely guy and I get on very well with him. It is sometimes a matter of confidence within yourself, and it came out against Blackburn last weekend.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20120112/confidence-key-for-hatem_2281670_2574465

Why doesn't Best talk about people 'getting on' Obertan? Wiorse than Pardew and Jonas put together. :huff:

Confidence Key For Hatem

Ben Arfa is the last person in our squad who needs to be told to believe in himself :lol:

He's one of those players that can unlock a defence with one little piece of magic, if he gives the ball away now and again it's not all that bad because it's his job as a creative flair player to make that one pass or to draw enough defenders away from the strikers with his skill to make something like that happen. He needs confidence in his own ability to be able to perform that role to his best and to be honest he's never lost it. One of Ben Arfa's 'flaws' perhaps, is that he is arrogant as fuck... However at the same time it's also one of his greatest assets because he's always confident in his own ability to do his job. Pardew really needs to give him an extended run because in fairness he's probably the most naturally talented player in the whole team.

He's one of those players that can unlock a defence with one little piece of magic, if he gives the ball away now and again it's not all that bad because it's his job as a creative flair player to make that one pass or to draw enough defenders away from the strikers with his skill to make something like that happen. He needs confidence in his own ability to be able to perform that role to his best and to be honest he's never lost it. One of Ben Arfa's 'flaws' perhaps, is that he is arrogant as fuck... However at the same time it's also one of his greatest assets because he's always confident in his own ability to do his job. Pardew really needs to give him an extended run because in fairness he's probably the most naturally talented player in the whole team.

Completely agree, I've recently wondered why trying but failing to beat a man invokes groans in the crowd, yet long ball after aimless long ball goes largely uncommented on.  It's the same end result, i.e. trying something but giving the ball away.  We need to mix it up and do a bit of both of course.

I have no issue with him giving the ball away. Being creative is about taking risks, and risks don't pull off every time. Probably stating the obvious but I'd rather see him give the ball away every now and then but produce what he did against Blackburn than him just play it safe and never lose the ball.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-Hatem-Ben-Arfa-cannot-have-the-No-10-role-unless-he-plays-with-more-energy-says-Alan-Pardew-article853433.html

Newcastle boss warns imperfect 10 Ben Arfa

Published 22:00 13/01/12 By Simon Bird

Hatem Ben Arfa has been told to up his “energy” if he wants to play in the No.10 role for Newcastle.

Boss Alan Pardew is set to start the French attacker on the right wing against QPR on Sunday, after his performance improved when switched out wide during last week's FA Cup win against Blackburn.

Ben Arfa, who scored a sensational individual goal against Rovers, sees himself as a playmaker behind a main striker, but Pardew says he will not get that role unless he adds a new dimension to his game.

“I am going to require more energy from him for that No.10 role," he said of Ben Arfa. “The boy has talent. You only have to see him with the ball at his feet. But he needs to understand he must put in more effort for the role he wants.

“I think of [Cristiano] Ronaldo, when he arrived, and even Eric Cantona, to a degree. These great players sometimes need a period of adjustment.

“I’m not suggesting for one minute he’s going to be as good as those players. But that kind of flair player does need to understand what the Premier League is all about and he’s getting a grasp of it.

“He’s not really a difficult character around the place, but he needs to understand we have got success here because of the commitment we put into training every day and into games. Sometimes I don’t think he gets that.

“He is ­definitely improving, as that goal showed. I don’t think he would have got that goal four or five weeks ago.

“All great players need ­confidence - you want your team-mates to believe in you.”

Pardew feels Ben Arfa needs to work harder defensively for the team, as other forwards at the club do.

“With Shola Ameobi, Leon Best and Peter ­Lovenkrands, it’s ingrained in those guys,” he added.

“Hatem doesn’t have to be less maverick - I will never take that away from him. That is his strength.

"What we do need from him is discipline in the game.”

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-Hatem-Ben-Arfa-cannot-have-the-No-10-role-unless-he-plays-with-more-energy-says-Alan-Pardew-article853433.html

Newcastle boss warns imperfect 10 Ben Arfa

Published 22:00 13/01/12 By Simon Bird

Hatem Ben Arfa has been told to up his “energy” if he wants to play in the No.10 role for Newcastle.

Boss Alan Pardew is set to start the French attacker on the right wing against QPR on Sunday, after his performance improved when switched out wide during last week's FA Cup win against Blackburn.

Ben Arfa, who scored a sensational individual goal against Rovers, sees himself as a playmaker behind a main striker, but Pardew says he will not get that role unless he adds a new dimension to his game.

“I am going to require more energy from him for that No.10 role," he said of Ben Arfa. “The boy has talent. You only have to see him with the ball at his feet. But he needs to understand he must put in more effort for the role he wants.

“I think of [Cristiano] Ronaldo, when he arrived, and even Eric Cantona, to a degree. These great players sometimes need a period of adjustment.

“I’m not suggesting for one minute he’s going to be as good as those players. But that kind of flair player does need to understand what the Premier League is all about and he’s getting a grasp of it.

“He’s not really a difficult character around the place, but he needs to understand we have got success here because of the commitment we put into training every day and into games. Sometimes I don’t think he gets that.

“He is ­definitely improving, as that goal showed. I don’t think he would have got that goal four or five weeks ago.

“All great players need ­confidence - you want your team-mates to believe in you.”

Pardew feels Ben Arfa needs to work harder defensively for the team, as other forwards at the club do.

“With Shola Ameobi, Leon Best and Peter ­Lovenkrands, it’s ingrained in those guys,” he added.

“Hatem doesn’t have to be less maverick - I will never take that away from him. That is his strength.

"What we do need from him is discipline in the game.”

:thup:

Have to agree like. The likes of David Silva, Juan Mata and Nani are so important to their teams because of their work ethic.

I'm actually confused as to what you're getting at with that other than naming 3 hugely talented attacking players that don't play conventionally English roles in their respective teams.

Pardew still insisting with the implication that it's the player himself who simply doesn't want to play wide. I just can't believe that he'd rather be on the bench than out there instead of Obertan.

Pardew still insisting with the implication that it's the player himself who simply doesn't want to play wide. I just can't believe that he'd rather be on the bench than out there instead of Obertan.

Guess Pardew doesn't want to admit he was wrong.....

Have to agree like. The likes of David Silva, Juan Mata and Nani are so important to their teams because of their work ethic.

I'm actually confused as to what you're getting at with that other than naming 3 hugely talented attacking players that don't play conventionally English roles in their respective teams.

The three of them perhaps Silva aside don't do much defensive graft. They are in their teams because of their natural talent as opposed to how hard they work.

If he's to play out wide though I am being somewhat unfair, Mata has Cole behind him, Nani has Smalling/Rafael, Ben Arfa would have Simpson who may well need the extra protection a hard wroking wide man would offer.

he may see it as short term pain for long term gain, certainly wouldn't be the first player to throw the toys out over the position he's asked to play.

the only way, for me, ben arfa can play wide to his full potential would be if it was "wide" in a way we don't use, where he has license to wander and drift and the others have enough about them to cover for him when we lose the ball. unfortunatly we barely have movement and thought when in possession let alone watching for others when we don't.

a while ago mick mentioned the idea of, as i understood it, basically no positions as we would put them for the more attacking 5 players in the team, let them read and play off each other, lets face it we have many attacking options that don't need  the narrow pens they seem to play in.