Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

So it looks like Ben Arfa was the one against playing wide?

No, it looks like Pardew's now trying to suggest this was the case, after previously saying he didn't think Ben Arfa 'had the relish' for that position.

I'm more than prepared for the possibility that it was Ben Arfa's choice. But after seeing how obviously disappointed he was when Sammy came on at LW instead of him and knowing Pardew's stubborn streak, I think this cryptic stuff could be an attempt by Pardew to put him on the wing without having to admit he was wrong. Spectacularly wrong.

Pards saying he didnt think Hatem had the "Relish" for playing out wide previously, only backs up what hes saying now tbh. That it was in part due to HBA that he wasnt playing there.

It also makes a bit more sense now that he'd try to get Obertan up to speed all this time if he thought HBA wouldnt agree to being a long term answer

Seriously, HBA is not a long term solution for our right wing.  He is willing to play there in order to get back into business'.  But afterward he would again demanding to play at the no.10 position.

I did remember there were rumours back at October that HBA "wants to play at centre rather than at sidelines".  Pardew's comments are consistent to that rumour.

No, it looks like Pardew's now trying to suggest this was the case, after previously saying he didn't think Ben Arfa 'had the relish' for that position.

I'm more than prepared for the possibility that it was Ben Arfa's choice. But after seeing how obviously disappointed he was when Sammy came on at LW instead of him and knowing Pardew's stubborn streak, I think this cryptic stuff could be an attempt by Pardew to put him on the wing without having to admit he was wrong. Spectacularly wrong.

When we first signed Ben Arfa on loan lots of the reports in France suggested one of the reasons for him wanting to come here were because Hughton had promised to use him in his preferred no. 10 position. I don't doubt at all that HBA had made it known to Pardew that he'd like to play the number 10 role preferably. Whether he refused to play wing is another question.

Well he didn't do a good job of keeping that promise since he only played him on the wing (admittedly it was only a few games)

Personally I am inclined to go with the theory that it was Pardew that didn't want him out wide. I find it very difficult to believe HBA would rather be on the bench than play out wide

When we first signed Ben Arfa on loan lots of the reports in France suggested one of the reasons for him wanting to come here were because Hughton had promised to use him in his preferred no. 10 position. I don't doubt at all that HBA had made it known to Pardew that he'd like to play the number 10 role preferably. Whether he refused to play wing is another question.

Well he didn't do a good job of keeping that promise since he only played him on the wing (admittedly it was only a few games)

Personally I am inclined to go with the theory that it was Pardew that didn't want him out wide. I find it very difficult to believe HBA would rather be on the bench than play out wide

I think the case is Pardew knew HBA didn't want to be a long-term winger and thus not a long term solution and preferred to train up Obertan instead. Hard to believe HBA preferred bench then playing out of position at this moment.

Pardew has said that he wants high-tempo football, and that's what Ben Arfa needs to adjust to.

That may be more significant than the issue of his position in the side. Ben Arfa seems to be one of these players who likes to play in bursts. The kind of run that he made for his goal yesterday is very demanding physically, and he may need or want to recover fully afterwards so that he's ready for the next opportunity. I suspect Pardew wants his players to track back the minute we lose the ball, which of course means more constant movement.

Hopefully they'll be able to meet in the middle somewhere.

I agree, the closing down we did against Man United was exceptional and may be tough to get Ben Arfa to get involved in that too much. Having said that also think you're always allowed one exception, and I hope he can keep finding the net. We really need finishers while Ba is gone.

I think we'll need to change shape to see the best of HBA. He's not a striker nor a winger in a 442 sense but I can see the following work:

Guthrie  Tiote

HBA          Cabaye      Jonas

Ba

or

Cabaye  Tiote

HBA          Vuckic      Ba

Shola

Mix and match depending on your favourite players and your preffered signing but three in central midfield compensates for the defencive weakness of HBA. I think a front three of HBA, Ba plus one is a potent attack.

I'd love Cabaye ahead of 2 holding midfielders with Ben Arfa out wide while Ba is gone and have bit of a striking crisis. Guthrie and Abeid could come out wide on occaision to cover for HBA's lack of defensiveness and it puts Cabaye in position to set up and score goals more often.

Guthrie  Abeid      (while Tiote is gone)

HBA    Cabaye    Jonas

Best / Shola          (whichever considered in form, holding up to feed in Cabaye and HBA)

The problem is if the team shape goes into a 4-5-1 and we let the midfield detach from the striker, we could end up like the Liverpool game. The idea would be pushing high up.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/pardew-ive-never-seen-a-goal-arfas-good-6286927.html?

Pardew: I've never seen a goal Arfa's good

Alan Pardew hailed Hatem Ben Arfa's goal as "the greatest I have ever seen" after the midfielder's equaliser reinvigorated Newcastle to beat Blackburn 2-1 on Saturday.

Jonas Gutierrez won the game deep into injury time, lofting his effort over goalkeeper Mark Bunn, after Ben Arfa had levelled David Goodwillie's first-half goal with a sublime 70th-minute run and left-footed shot.

Pardew, the Newcastle manager , said: "It's the greatest goal, in my opinion, I have ever seen with my eyes because just the technical part of it – to beat six players, to skip past people, left foot, right foot, cutback, accelerate, everything that was involved in it – it was an unbelievable goal. I am absolutely chuffed for him."

Gutierrez also praised the French winger. "There was a lot of pressure on him because he has not played as much as he would have wanted. He wants to play more, so it was important for his confidence," said Gutierrez, whose side prevailed even without the star pair of Demba Ba and Cheick Tioté, who are away on African Cup of Nations duty.

"We need all the players now more than ever," he added. "We don't have Cheick and Demba, so we need all the players focused, so it is really good for him to get the confidence."