Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/294487/Newcastle-2-Blackburn-1-He-has-Arfa-ton-of-skill

Manager Alan Pardew rates Ben Arfa’s goal as the best he has ever witnessed, after handing him a role on the right flank in the second half. He said: “I was really pleased with his attitude when he went on to the right.

“We pushed him wide and he could have said, ‘what am I doing out here’? But he attacked the position and that’s really pleasing. Flair and making things happen is 80 per cent of his game. It’s just about balancing it out. Everybody is different as a footballer. You have to know your limitations and your strengths.”

Gutierrez is also aware of the dilemma and said: “We keep saying to Hatem, when he gets the ball in the last quarter of the pitch, we want him to take on players because he has the skill to do so and he is so quick.

“In the middle of the pitch we tell him just to keep it simple, not to do anything flashy and pass the ball. Be safe. He must do his fancy work in the final third.

“We know he is a good player with the ball at his feet, but he has to understand what English football is all about. In Spain or France it is not as physical and maybe there is less contact. It has been difficult for him to adjust, especially after his big injury.

“When you break your leg like he did it is sometimes difficult to deal with the physical aspect, but he is doing well. He is going to be OK and showed what a big player he can be for this club.”

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/294487/Newcastle-2-Blackburn-1-He-has-Arfa-ton-of-skill

Manager Alan Pardew rates Ben Arfa’s goal as the best he has ever witnessed, after handing him a role on the right flank in the second half. He said: “I was really pleased with his attitude when he went on to the right.

“We pushed him wide and he could have said, ‘what am I doing out here’? But he attacked the position and that’s really pleasing. Flair and making things happen is 80 per cent of his game. It’s just about balancing it out. Everybody is different as a footballer. You have to know your limitations and your strengths.”

The only reason he'd ever say that is because Pardew put him on a fucking pedestal in the first place, saying he's "only ever a number 10 behind the striker" and all that. Ben Arfa's never had a problem playing on the wings before. Very strange.

Gutierrez is also aware of the dilemma and said: “We keep saying to Hatem, when he gets the ball in the last quarter of the pitch, we want him to take on players because he has the skill to do so and he is so quick.

“In the middle of the pitch we tell him just to keep it simple, not to do anything flashy and pass the ball. Be safe. He must do his fancy work in the final third.

“We know he is a good player with the ball at his feet, but he has to understand what English football is all about. In Spain or France it is not as physical and maybe there is less contact. It has been difficult for him to adjust, especially after his big injury.

“When you break your leg like he did it is sometimes difficult to deal with the physical aspect, but he is doing well. He is going to be OK and showed what a big player he can be for this club.”

Haven't heard those quotes before, are they regurgitated?

Hopefully he'll take the blinkers off and stick him on the wing.

The only reason he'd ever say that is because Pardew put him on a fucking pedestal in the first place, saying he's "only ever a number 10 behind the striker" and all that. Ben Arfa's never had a problem playing on the wings before. Very strange.

Again, Pardew never said that.

Gutierrez makes some interesting (and positive) points. :thup:

The only reason he'd ever say that is because Pardew put him on a f***ing pedestal in the first place, saying he's "only ever a number 10 behind the striker" and all that. Ben Arfa's never had a problem playing on the wings before. Very strange.

Pardew told the Sunday Sun: “To me, Hatem Ben Arfa is a number ten.

“I won’t play him on the side. I don’t think he wants to play there, I don’t he enjoys playing there and therefore my gut feeling is that footballers won’t play their best if they’re not happy in the position they’re in.

“I remember playing Jermain Defoe on the side when I was at West Ham. Within ten minutes I could tell he didn’t want to play there, it was a waste of time so I stuck him through the middle and Jermain was Jermain.

“Ben Arfa’s motivation is to play through the middle of the pitch - he needs to earn that right. He accepted that in pre-season, he worked very, very hard and that’s what we’ll be looking for him to do when he comes back in and around the team.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/09/18/goals-struggle-not-a-long-term-issue-alan-pardew-79310-29442352/

The only reason he'd ever say that is because Pardew put him on a f***ing pedestal in the first place, saying he's "only ever a number 10 behind the striker" and all that. Ben Arfa's never had a problem playing on the wings before. Very strange.

"The only position he'll play for me is behind the striker."

Pardew wants his wide players to track back and help out the full back - that's every time, not just when they feel like it or when they're not feeling tired. That's important for his system where he has two out and out strikers and only two CMs. Ben Arfa isn't used to that sort of discipline.

But I thought Gutierrez makes a good point - that if Ben Arfa gets the ball some distance from goal, the percentage choice is usually to shift the ball forward quickly and keep the rhythm of the attack going, rather than try to beat a man.

Then the bloke scores a goal with a dribble from near the centre circle. Not easy, this management business.

Who gives a fuck how much Ben Arfa tracks back? If he we had two capable full backs then this wouldn't be an issue. Santon doesn't need a lot of help from Jonas but Simpson needs it from whoever is playing RW.

The annoying thing is that if we start Ben Arfa there and he starts raping teams then the opposition full back will be much less likely to bomb forward because he knows that we'd be deadly on the counter attack. We haven't really scored a good counter-attacking goal this year because our wingers are always so deep in our half when we defend.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's money orientated this out wide stuff. If he plays off a striker, as far as club is concerned there's Jonas, Obertan, Marveaux and even R.Taylor for the wings, play HBA on the wing though and it magnifies the need to sign a striker.

That's really, really stupid though.

Pardew told the Sunday Sun: “To me, Hatem Ben Arfa is a number ten.

“I won’t play him on the side. I don’t think he wants to play there, I don’t he enjoys playing there and therefore my gut feeling is that footballers won’t play their best if they’re not happy in the position they’re in.

“I remember playing Jermain Defoe on the side when I was at West Ham. Within ten minutes I could tell he didn’t want to play there, it was a waste of time so I stuck him through the middle and Jermain was Jermain.

“Ben Arfa’s motivation is to play through the middle of the pitch - he needs to earn that right. He accepted that in pre-season, he worked very, very hard and that’s what we’ll be looking for him to do when he comes back in and around the team.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/09/18/goals-struggle-not-a-long-term-issue-alan-pardew-79310-29442352/

From these quotes it's clear that Ben Arfa is the one who has been pushing to play through the centre, and this is why Pardew hasn't been giving him games out wide.

I didn't say it was right though. :lol:

Don't think I'd be far off though? Even him on the bench the club can use the 'once he's match fit/in form/up to speed, he'll play through the middle'. Play him on the wing, the club know they have to spend on a second striker.

Don't think I'd be far off though? Even him on the bench the club can use the 'once he's match fit/in form/up to speed, he'll play through the middle'. Play him on the wing, the club know they have to spend on a second striker.

Ben Arfa is clearly the one who wants to be played through the middle.

There may be some truth in it mate, just saying it would be incredibly stupid.  Results and performances come first.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew purrs as Hatem Ben Arfa displays his Messi side against Blackburn

Picking the ball up just inside the opposition half, Hatem Ben Arfa set off on a jinking run which, by the time it ended with Newcastle’s equaliser, had taken him past almost half the Blackburn side and crowned him the Geordie’s answer to Lionel Messi.

It was certainly a goal the magical Argentine would have been proud of in a game which needed something special to remove it from the mundane.

Accelerating from a standing start, tight ball control, perfect balance, multiple defenders beaten, unable to halt his progress by fair means or foul and an unstoppable finish, it was a timely reminder there is more to him than just an ego.

“Ben Arfa’s goal was magnificent,” said Jonás Gutiérrez, whose winner in injury-time was also pretty special as Newcastle overhauled David Goodwillie’s first-half effort.

“It was the type of goal Lionel Messi would have been proud of, or even Maradona.

“It was remarkable. It reminded me of Maradona’s goal against England in 1986. The way he took on and beat so many players, he just kept on going.”

Ben Arfa is a special talent, but injuries and an unwillingness to adapt have held him back. This was only his third start of the season and came at the end of a week in which he criticised the style of football played by manager Alan Pardew.

Those comments were the first time his frustration had spilled into the public domain, but Ben Arfa seems like the sort of character who would try the patience of a saint, let alone a football manager.

Until his fabulous goal against Blackburn, Ben Arfa’s season had been full of largely forgettable cameos on his return from a double leg break, but Newcastle United hope he starting to understand what is required.

“You have to take the rough with the smooth with a player like Hatem,” said Pardew, who said it was the best goal he had seen live.

“He needs to understand what we’re about and I was really pleased with his attitude when he went out to the right because I was told he doesn’t like it there.”

“It can be a challenge, but for Hatem it’s about flair and making things happen, we just have to get the balance right.”

Pardew was less forthcoming about Demba Ba’s future, refusing to answer questions about whether the free-scoring striker, who is away on Africa Cup of Nations duty, has a £10 million release clause in his Newcastle contract.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/9001147/Newcastle-manager-Alan-Pardew-purrs-as-Hatem-Ben-Arfa-displays-his-Messi-side-against-Blackburn.html

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew purrs as Hatem Ben Arfa displays his Messi side against Blackburn

Picking the ball up just inside the opposition half, Hatem Ben Arfa set off on a jinking run which, by the time it ended with Newcastle’s equaliser, had taken him past almost half the Blackburn side and crowned him the Geordie’s answer to Lionel Messi.

It was certainly a goal the magical Argentine would have been proud of in a game which needed something special to remove it from the mundane.

Accelerating from a standing start, tight ball control, perfect balance, multiple defenders beaten, unable to halt his progress by fair means or foul and an unstoppable finish, it was a timely reminder there is more to him than just an ego.

“Ben Arfa’s goal was magnificent,” said Jonás Gutiérrez, whose winner in injury-time was also pretty special as Newcastle overhauled David Goodwillie’s first-half effort.

“It was the type of goal Lionel Messi would have been proud of, or even Maradona.

“It was remarkable. It reminded me of Maradona’s goal against England in 1986. The way he took on and beat so many players, he just kept on going.”

Ben Arfa is a special talent, but injuries and an unwillingness to adapt have held him back. This was only his third start of the season and came at the end of a week in which he criticised the style of football played by manager Alan Pardew.

Those comments were the first time his frustration had spilled into the public domain, but Ben Arfa seems like the sort of character who would try the patience of a saint, let alone a football manager.

Until his fabulous goal against Blackburn, Ben Arfa’s season had been full of largely forgettable cameos on his return from a double leg break, but Newcastle United hope he starting to understand what is required.

“You have to take the rough with the smooth with a player like Hatem,” said Pardew, who said it was the best goal he had seen live.

“He needs to understand what we’re about and I was really pleased with his attitude when he went out to the right because I was told he doesn’t like it there.”

“It can be a challenge, but for Hatem it’s about flair and making things happen, we just have to get the balance right.”

Pardew was less forthcoming about Demba Ba’s future, refusing to answer questions about whether the free-scoring striker, who is away on Africa Cup of Nations duty, has a £10 million release clause in his Newcastle contract.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/9001147/Newcastle-manager-Alan-Pardew-purrs-as-Hatem-Ben-Arfa-displays-his-Messi-side-against-Blackburn.html

:lol: the plot thickens. who told him then? If it was Ben Arfa he's going to some lengths to protect him.

Honestly man, just stop talking about it, your persistence with Obertan was horrendous, draw a line under it and play your best players.

Hatem Ben Arfa: I dreamt of Cup wonder goal

by Lee Ryder, Evening ChronicleJan 9 2012Comment (1) Recommend

HATEM BEN Arfa today revealed how he dreamt of scoring his FA Cup wonder strike during some of his darkest days while hospitalised after his sickening double leg break last season.

The talismanic French ace also confessed that netting with the solo effort that sunk crisis club Blackburn meant he has fulfilled a childhood dream with a goal he felt had all the hallmarks of a playground strike.

Ben Arfa had pleaded with Alan Pardew to give him a chance, and he took it with some aplomb at St James’ Park.

Pardew had also thrown the gauntlet down to the French ace in the absence of Demba Ba. However, after fighting back from a horrific double leg break against Manchester City last season and a shattering ankle problem last July. Ben Arfa told the Chronicle in an emotional interview: “I dreamt of scoring a goal like that during darker times.

“I guess it is everybody’s dream to score a goal like that.

“Those dreams keep you going.

“Even when I was at school and playing with my friends we always tried to score goals like the one against Blackburn.

“I’ve been doing it since I was small.

“I always used to say to friends at school ‘I hope one day I can score a goal like that as a professional’.”

Ben Arfa’s strike was his third Toon goal following his thunderbolt at Everton last term and his knockout strike on Boxing Day against Bolton Wanderers.

But despite also scoring some sensational goals in the colours of Lyon, France and Marseille, the 24-year-old said: “It is my best ever goal.

“But I actually tried to do it a few times in the game before I actually pulled it off.

“I knew I could score that type of goal.

“And it was special to score it in such a big cup competition like this.

“Everybody talks about the FA Cup and I’m so happy that we’ve won and are still in the competition.”

Ben Arfa was also happy to deliver his promise of entertainment following his extensive interview in last Wednesday’s Chronicle.

The Clairefontaine graduate said: “As I say I know I can score those goals when I get the chance.

“I’ve said recently that I am 100% fit.

“It means I can do this type of goal more times in the future.

“Now it is important it is important to build up more confidence to do it more often in the future.” Blackburn defended deeply throughout the FA Cup third-round tie, not least after snatching the lead against the run of play through David Goodwillie.

With the game in need of a magic moment Ben Arfa stepped up to the plate.

He admitted he was more than happy to oblige.

He said: “Sometimes a game needs a moment like that.

“Defences get too tight, and when you run with the ball, you can break defences and put defenders under pressure.

“It can be very important, but I’m very happy – more importantly – that we have won.

“If I had have done that and we lost, then it means nothing.

“To do it and help a win means I couldn’t be happier.

“The goal was for the fans who have stuck by me through injury.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/01/09/hatem-ben-arfa-i-dreamt-of-cup-wonder-goal-72703-30083820/2/#ixzz1ixmgAjEj

Only thing that has surprised me is the inability from anyone in the press to actually ask Ben Arfa 'would you be happy to play out wide?' Surely that's one of the most obvious questions to ask?

Exactly.  As others have said, we're not really that convincing just yet when going 4-4-1-1 and I'm sure HBA would prefer to play out wide than not at all, why it hasn't been asked yet I don't know! 

Think Venkman nailed it, AP has got it wrong and is trying to hide the fact to cover up his own misjudgement.  Pardew obviously had his doubts about his ability to perform on the wing, despite his two best performances in a Newcastle shirt coming from out wide.

Someone told you did they Alan, didn't want to check with Hatem himself? :lol: