Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

It's telling that his biggest objectors are only able to give conjecture and Pardew logic as argument. I can't believe this is still up for debate, the worst thing about the Pardew tenure is not unleashing HBA on the league, I bet there's a canny few teams out there that have breathed a sigh of relief when he's not been on the team sheet.

It's telling that his biggest objectors are only able to give conjecture and Pardew logic as argument. I can't believe this is still up for debate, the worst thing about the Pardew tenure is not unleashing HBA on the league, I bet there's a canny few teams out there that have breathed a sigh of relief when he's not been on the team sheet.

:thup: Saw a few comments from palace fans today basically saying he was the difference

I think some people's attitude to Ben Arfa is frankly disgusting.

3 goals, 6 assists in 25 games. Of those 25 games I very much doubt he's accumulated a high percentage of minutes in comparison to Sissoko or Gouffran, whose statistics aren't much better. Additionally, in the premiership at least, he's been sub for 11 of his 23 appearances as well as being pissed on publicly by his manager (no doubt privately too).

Nobody keeps the ball all the time, it's impossible. I'd rather he lost it twenty times in the opponent's half and still create an assist or goal than toe the backwards Pardew party-line. Bad man-management is failing him perhaps more than anything else.

Also, the Shola argument.

Basically you're right, everyone gives the ball away. We just notice HBA doing it because he's not giving a sideways pass at the time. And people expect much more of him. And he doesn't play enough to feel he doesn't have to win the game in the 10 minutes.

Pardew has made him the scape goat so many times that people watch him with an eagle eye, as soon as one pass goes astray it's all moans and groans "he's at it again" meanwhile players like Shola "teinkle toes" Ameobi can't control a ball to save his life, every corner or free kick we take hits the first man, other players may have lost the ball two or three times in the same amount of time. But no he has a Pardew rep now and every touch is met with extreme criticism.

Yet the sheep eat it up, keep chowing guys there's plenty more bullshit where that came from!

Pardew has made him the scape goat so many times that people watch him with an eagle eye, as soon as one pass goes astray it's all moans and groans "he's at it again" meanwhile players like Shola "teinkle toes" Ameobi can't control a ball to save his life, every corner or free kick we take hits the first man, other players may have lost the ball two or three times in the same amount of time. But no he has a Pardew rep now and every touch is met with extreme criticism.

Yet the sheep eat it up, keep chowing guys there's plenty more bullshit where that came from!

Really? The extreme frustration seems to stem from the fact he's capable of so much more yet rarely lives up to the hype. When he's in a good vein of form HBA can do no wrong (I've watched him have shitters and receive nothing but love, his name sang when he's on the bench having done fuck all) however when he runs into trouble time and time again, loses the ball in daft positions and sits on his arse watching while the opposition score, he rightly gets criticised.

I can't say I think Pardew's been particularly unfair. When he did drop him earlier in the season we hit form.

:thup:

A few years ago, there used to be a website that kept a league table of which players in Europe lost possession the most. Top of the league, every year, was always Messi.

A few years ago, there used to be a website that kept a league table of which players in Europe lost possession the most. Top of the league, every year, was always Messi.

We don't have Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro or Busquets to play alongside him tbf.

Mind = blown.

Its the same with Suarez. Every game I see him, he loses the ball loads. All the best players lose the ball loads

Aye, if we had messi at Newcastle I'd drop him too.

Terrible example picking Shola. How many people rate Shola? People have low expectations of Shola. People have higher expectations of Ben Arfa and get frustrated when he doesn't reach those standards consistently. People know Ben Arfa can provide the quality, we'd all like it if he did it consistently, even Pardew.

Anyway, we won the game and Ben Arfa provided the assist. Be happy. People trying to point score off it isn't good.

I've just watched Cazorla give the ball away 3 times leading to 3 Chelsea goals just there on MotD. Bet he's not dropped.

He would be if Pardew was the manager!! Messi would probably be on the bench to.

Terrible example picking Shola. How many people rate Shola? People have low expectations of Shola. People have higher expectations of Ben Arfa and get frustrated when he doesn't reach those standards consistently. People know Ben Arfa can provide the quality, we'd all like it if he did it consistently, even Pardew.

Anyway, we won the game and Ben Arfa provided the assist. Be happy. People trying to point score off it isn't good.

Why don't they get frustrated with those players who don't ever produce those standards?

Let's be honest, if Ben Arfa could produce his best consistently, he'd be alongside the best players on the planet, given his talent. I'd take an inconsistent Ben Arfa every day over somebody like Gouffran, unless you're in a specific situation where you need someone to run a bit more and make a nuisance of themselves. Palace at home isn't that situation.

Why don't they get frustrated with those players who don't ever produce those standards?

Let's be honest, if Ben Arfa could produce his best consistently, he'd be alongside the best players on the planet, given his talent. I'd take an inconsistent Ben Arfa every day over somebody like Gouffran, unless you're in a specific situation where you need someone to run a bit more and make a nuisance of themselves. Palace at home isn't that situation.

People moan about every misplaced pass and poor shot where I sit. It doesn't matter who does it.

As an extreme example, I imagine Real Madrid fans have higher expectations of Ronaldo and they do of a lot of their other players. Newcastle fans don't have many creative players to cheer so when Ben Arfa has a less than good game it stands out more. If we had a few creative players there would be less pressure and expectation on Ben Arfa.

Gouffran's spell of goal scoring is probably what has kept him in the side. He doesn't really have any competition for the left wing.

No ones trying to point score here, the argument is the criticism, why shouldn't Shola be criticised, not by us but by Pardew? David Icke said he doesn't think Pardew has been particularly harsh to HBA but he clearly picks Shola over him far too often (once is too often tbf). He's not treated with the same yardstick as other players and that is the problem.

I'm happy we won today and I'm happy he came on and supplied the assist, it just proves a point when he comes on, admittedly not at his best, barely out of second gear and makes such a marked improvement on the team.

People moan about every misplaced pass and poor shot where I sit. It doesn't matter who does it.

As an extreme example, I imagine Real Madrid fans have higher expectations of Ronaldo and they do of a lot of their other players. Newcastle fans don't have many creative players to cheer so when Ben Arfa has a less than good game it stands out more. If we had a few creative players there would be less pressure and expectation on Ben Arfa.

Gouffran's spell of goal scoring is probably what has kept him in the side. He doesn't really have any competition for the left wing.

Is Ronaldo dropped often when he loses the ball once or twice?

Gouffran never went anywhere near the left wing today. Haven't a clue where he was meant to be playing, wherever it was he was ineffective. Not worth his place, certainly not ahead of Ben Arfa. When you've got a player like that, you don't just find a place for him, you build the team to get the best out of him.

Bang on the money right there. Blatant as. Pardew is playing it well though.