Bolton Wanderers v Newcastle United (26/12/11, 3pm)

Mr. Snrub

The problem is today, despite the claims that 4-4-2 is dead and all that (which I don't believe), I have never seen anything other than that formation implemented successfully at NUFC. Trying anything else has simply ended up resembling an ultra negative 4-5-1 and a striker ploughing a lone furrow fifty yards further forward than everyone else.

I know that's not how it has to be but that's certainly all it's ever been at NUFC in my time.

Pardew needs to find system that incorporates Ben Arfa and Vuckic. The cautious 4-4-2 just isn't working at the moment and we have to start opening teams up more as we're just not getting nearly enough (or anything) from the wings. The way Ben Arfa can atleast open things up with a pass or run and the way Vuckic has so much confidence going forward with what's clearly a hell of a shot on him has to be brought into the team.

They don't call him Optimistic Nut for nothing. :laugh:

Be quite pleased if Pardew just works on defending set pieces for the remaining days left until the game. We might nick a goal anyway (even with our unconvincing attack).

Counter-attack will probably work best against Bolton.

The problem is today, despite the claims that 4-4-2 is dead and all that (which I don't believe), I have never seen anything other than that formation implemented successfully at NUFC. Trying anything else has simply ended up resembling an ultra negative 4-5-1 and a striker ploughing a lone furrow fifty yards further forward than everyone else.

I know that's not how it has to be but that's certainly all it's ever been at NUFC in my time.

Keegan played 3 up top, that worked for a bit.

Guest neesy111

Midfield needs freshening up with different ideas imo for this game.  Bolton will easily defend our predictable long ball game from the last 2 home games.

Take ba out our side and we're one dimensional at the moment.exlied mentioned it but our wing play is shockingly uncreative,add to that our long ball tactics and we're going nowhere.why play with a high line only to punt it forward and lose it?both sewelly and ketsbqia's formations are necessary against bolton otherwise we'll be relying on Ba to make something out of nothing.pardew needs to show some courage

2-1 win. They're shite, man. Cabaye and Tiote back in the middle together will be a massive difference. They have no pace up front, only on their wings, and even then Petrov and Davies aren't the quickest. Reo-Coker has had a decent season but I see us bossing possession throughout and with Ba on form, we'll score if we have the right lineup (which means Ben Arfa starting).

2-1 win. They're shite, man. Cabaye and Tiote back in the middle together will be a massive difference. They have no pace up front, only on their wings, and even then Petrov and Davies aren't the quickest. Reo-Coker has had a decent season but I see us bossing possession throughout and with Ba on form, we'll score if we have the right lineup (which means Ben Arfa starting).

And set pieces? ;)

Bolton are rank and we must defeat them. The biggest advantage is that they don't have the attacking pace that WBA have, so we should be OK at the back.

We could probably get away with a 4-4-2, just swapping HBA in for Best. Would be lush to get 3 points, feels like forever since we won.

krul

simpson  colo  perch  santon

cabaye    tiote  abeid

ben arfa    vuckic/jonas (can't decide)

ba

Replace Perch with Williamson and I wouldn't have a problem with that, I'd go with Vuckic and give Jonas a break, he looks wrecked.

Just fucking go for it.

Krul

Simpson Williamson Colo Santon

Obertan  Abeid  Cabaye Ben Arfa

Vuckic

Ba

Psst! Pardew, Bolton don't generally attack with pace, this is one of those games where it may be wise to deploy a high line.