Liverpool vs Newcastle United - 30/12/11 @ 7.45pm (live on Sky) pre-match thread

Dave

Pardew will certainly top himself if he ACTUALLY starts Ameobi and Best over Ben Arfa. It already pisses me off, just the thought.

I am thinking the reason not to start with Ben Arfa is height. Ba, Ameobi and Best all good on attacking and defending set pieces.

Hopefully Ben Arfa starts today.

Nah, I don't think that's a good enough reason not to start him. We're not short on tall players anyway - Williamson, Ba, Vuckic, Krul, Santon, Obertan, Best all well over 6 foot.

Excited about Vuckic, but not sure what he gives us that Ben Arfa doesn't.

He certainly doesn't work harder, and that includes when we're in possession, needs to show himself more and get away from markers, wasn't good enough at this against WBA.

I like Haris, and I'm sure he'll play well in that role, as opposed to CM, where he went missing at times. But starting over Ben Arfa is baffling.

:thup: It's a positive move in itself, but when you've got Barfa to pick from too, especially after Bolton... ???

Would have liked to have seen Ben Arfa start but it's also nice to see a young kid like Vuckic get a start too. Am certain Ben Arfa will get on at some stage, hopefully to run at them when they're tiring.  Options on the bench too.

Happy with that team, if somewhat perplexed. He's right in dropping Best. He's also right in not dropping him for Shola. Not right in picking Vuckic over Hatem...

... so close. Must, must be a fitness thing. Pray to God that it is.

Liverpool will have a midfield three, and Vuckic probably gives a bit more as far as pressing the opposition goes, which will be particularly neessary as it is at Anfield. Likely just wants to start the game a bit tighter in midfield. Ben Arfa will come on quite early in the second half I would imagine.