Zambia win 2012 African Cup of Nations

TRC

Tbf, Cisse reminded me of a bigger and stronger defoe, sort of. Without the selfishness. However, would like him to take his chances abit more if ACoN is to go by. Can't wait to see him play though. Think he got what it takes to be ace in this league.

Seemed quite complementary to HBA aswell. With his movement explicity going trough channels looking for that CC chance with their keeper.

Didn't we buy Guivarc'h on the back of a really good league season? He finished top scorer with Auxerre, playing alongside Siberski funnily enough.

I always assumed we signed him after the World Cup, I've since found this to be the wrong assumption. Having googled it, yeah we signed Guivarc'h at the end of the Ligue 1 season in 1998 (he finished as one of the top scorers in Ligue 1 too).

As far as I'm concerned it comes down to whether or not you trust Graham Carr's judgement. I certainly do which is why I'm no longer even half as nervous about foreign players coming over here and flopping, which in our history has been just far too common.

:thup:

I do indeed trust Carr and his scouting team.

Guest icemanblue

Thursday!? What airline are these guys using?

Coming back on that bus off the Malibu adverts. Late? 'not by my watch!'

Fucking lazy bl...

...oody bus drivers!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/feb/01/senegal-africa-cup-of-nation

What went wrong with Senegal by everyone's favourite mackem Jonathan Wilson

Why Senegal should not make a scapegoat out of coach Amara Traoré

El Hadji Diouf has called for the coach's head but 10 days of madness must not be allowed to waste two years of good sense

Jonathan Wilson in Malabo

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 1 February 2012 13.18 GMT

They came with great expectations and the most vaunted forward line in the tournament, but Senegal limped home from the Africa Cup of Nations having lost all three of their matches. In the usual run of things, you'd expect the coach, Amara Traoré not to be long for his job. A scapegoat, says the logic of international football, must be found, and the coach is as convenient a figure to sacrifice as anybody.

Unsurprisingly, El Hadji Diouf has been foremost in calling for Traoré's head. It was Traoré who rejected Diouf's offer to come out of international retirement in 2010 (although Diouf was subsequently given a five-year ban from international football having refused to turn up for a disciplinary hearing into comments he made on French radio that "the whole of African football is corrupt").

"The Senegal team has no soul," Diouf said after Senegal's exit. "I have always said that Amara Traoré knows nothing. He doesn't have the level of experience and knowledge to handle the team. The FA people are jealous of Senegal's 2002 generation. They don't want us to associate with the team. Some of us have experience. I'm completing my coaching course in England and I could be useful to the team but they have mixed politics with football in Senegal and things will never change."

Yet the noises within the team, for once, are supportive of their manager. "The coach has always been there to take a bullet for us," said the captain Mamadou Niang. "Now we have to stand by him."

When Traoré took over, after all, the team was in as big a mess as it had been for quarter of a century. Thirty members of the federation board had resigned en masse in 2008, leading to a three-month leadership vacuum during which Senegal were unable to travel to away games. Lamine N'Diaye, the new coach, was placed in an almost impossible position. His Senegal side were left needing to beat their neighbours Gambia at home to qualify for the Cup of Nations in Angola.

The Reuters journalist Dan Magnowski, then based in Dakar, had to travel to the airport on the afternoon of the game. "I saw smoke billowing up from across the city," he said. "I asked the taxi driver what it was, and he told me it was the football federation building. They'd only drawn." Against the country the Senegalese refer to as "the suppository of Africa", that was some humiliation.

Although there were familiar problems over bonuses before the tournament that led to a couple of warm-up matches being cancelled, Traoré's Senegal have generally given the impression of calmness and steady progress. Although the Senegal football federation has promised an evaluation, he, certainly, is adamant he wants to carry on. "I won't resign, even if the responsibility rests with the manager. I began this project two years ago, the team can't be useless. I've got the strong desire to continue," Traoré said.

"To call for the head of Amara or the minister doesn't achieve anything. As the 2013 [qualifying] Nations Cup approaches there are things to improve … but not by giving the team to a Mourinho, Capello or Ferguson. What happened is the responsibility of the coach and I take responsibility. We have to analyse, evaluate and move on from there. We have to correct our mistakes as to err is human.

"The question is why are we not scoring? I wonder … we are not a team that does not create opportunities. We play well and I will have to correct that shortfall. The Cup of Nations is a very difficult tournament and it has always been so for us. Most people described us favourites but I thought otherwise. My team cannot be compared to Ivory Coast and Ghana in terms of experience. It is a young team that showed character."

So what did go wrong? Well, perhaps to an extent a strength became a weakness – the glut of strikers made the team top heavy, and the fact that seven forwards were included in the 23-man squad meant there was little flexibility to change approach. It's not insignificant that the most effective Senegal player was probably the Fenerbahce right-winger Issiar Dia, who offered both width and an attacking option from deeper.

The problems were evident from Senegal's first half-hour, against Zambia. The Chipolopolo sat deep, knowing Senegal's front three, as natural forwards, would continue to push high when perhaps the more useful thing would have been to drop off and seek space. They broke with pace and intelligence, the movement of Emmanuel Mayuka forcing the Senegal back four deep and opening vast swathes of turf, in which Chris Katongo schemed while Rainford Kalaba and Isaac Chansa surged. They scored twice in the first 25 minutes, could have had four or five by half-time and, although Senegal improved radically after half-time, the game was won.

Then there is the matter of personnel. Six qualifying matches (in one of the tougher groups) brought 16 goals, thanks largely to the forward line of Niang, Moussa Sow and Papiss Cissé. Traoré brought in Demba Ba, leaving out first Cissé, then both Sow and Niang. Perhaps that disrupted the rhythm of the established front three, but if it was a mistake it was a readily understandable one, and one that most of the football world, having seen Ba's form for Newcastle, would have made.

In truth, Senegal were undone by a combination of a bad first half and dreadful luck. Traoré probably should take some credit for the way he rearranged things against Zambia, plugging the gaps so that his side dominated the second half. They pulled one goal back, but the defeat meant they couldn't afford further slip-ups, and certainly not the ill fortune they endured against Equatorial Guinea when they pummelled the hosts for an hour and somehow failed to score. Yes, they were sloppy to concede, but having got the equaliser, who realistically could have expected Kily, a Spanish fourth division player, to score a 25-yard drive with the outside of his right foot in the final minute? Senegal paid for 30 poor minutes against Zambia and for a couple of moments of raggedness against Equatorial Guinea. After that it was too late.

The tournament may have been a disaster for Senegal in terms of results, but the performances weren't that bad. For two years those in charge of Senegal have given the impression of good sense and calm forward planning. It would be a shame if 10 days of madness were allowed to spoil that.

Quarterfinals:

Zambia-Sudan

Ghana-Tunisia

Gabon-Mali/Guinea

Cote d'Ivoire-Equatorial Guinea

There are the two obvious favourites, but other than that it seems very open. Things do seem to be tending towards a CIV-Ghana final which would be interesting given that neither of them has claimed the trophy since 1992 and 1982 respectively (unacceptable given the stature of the teams).

Think I might support Tunisia, just so I don't have to watch another different nation take this since the last time we won. I know that I do not want Ghana to win.

Chelsie Carroll

people laughed when i said cisse was best signing in january..

Like ·  · 27 minutes ago ·

Craig Lister Ossett friday? X

6 minutes ago · Like

Chelsie Carroll Haha can't I'm in LANDAN x

5 minutes ago · Like

Craig Lister Arsehole. x

2 minutes ago · Like

Joe Consterdine He was, can't wait till he makes his debut.

2 seconds ago · Like

:smug: