NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Despite all of this Mike Ashley has passed down the instruction to continue scouting efforts with a renewed focus on January, when the club have always believed there are better bargains to be had.

What like a player who is in red hot form will become available for a good price?

Looks like we'll just be targeting players who have 6 months left on their contracts then .

The Cisse signing stands out like a sore thumb because it's the only one that's demonstrated any kind of ambition. Alright, we made a fair few signings in the summer prior to that, but they were simply to replace the likes of Nolan, Barton and Enrique who all left (not to mention Carroll). I guess we signed Cisse because Pardew convinced them we had a real shot at the Champions League if we got another striker. When we didn't qualify, I guess that factored in Ashley's frugality and he reverted to/back to '17th will do'.

The Cisse signing stands out like a sore thumb because it's the only one that's demonstrated any kind of ambition. Alright, we made a fair few signings in the summer prior to that, but they were simply to replace the likes of Nolan, Barton and Enrique who all left (not to mention Carroll). I guess we signed Cisse because Pardew convinced them we had a real shot at the Champions League if we got another striker. When we didn't qualify, I guess that factored in Ashley's frugality and he reverted to/back to '17th will do'.

The thing is he has to have a level of ambition for our performances even if his only priority is profit.

One of his obvious tactics has been buying players on the cheap to sell on for big amounts & he wont get big amounts if we perform as a side that finishes in the lower half. He needs us to play as a side that has stand out performers, so he also needs our manager to get us playing like that. So while he may not have ambitions to spend money so we're successful, he certainly will want us to be successful so he makes some money.

The thing is he has to have a level of ambition for our performances even if his only priority is profit.

One of his obvious tactics has been buying players on the cheap to sell on for big amounts & he wont get big amounts if we perform as a side that finishes in the lower half. He needs us to play as a side that has stand out performers, so he also needs our manager to get us playing like that. So while he may not have ambitions to spend money so we're successful, he certainly will want us to be successful so he makes some money.

I still don't see this at all, he has done it once(?) during his time here and that was when he had no choice (Ba). Edit - Bassong went for a decent profit, we probably made a couple of million on Best but Guthrie, Smith, Xisco and Simpson went on frees and probably made a slight loss on Nolan. Barton was just before Ashley wasn't he?

We got an offer of nearly triple what we paid for Cabaye but didn't sell.

Ashley definitely wants value for money signings but if he is buying to sell he's failing badly.

If anything he has missed out on profit on quite a few occasions because he prides himself on being a tough seller....

Like Tiote for example we held strong the season we finished 5th, OK most of it wasn't made public but there is no smoke without fire so you have to really believe some big offers came in.

Offers that we would probably accept without thinking twice now, but sometimes there are occasions when you need to buy and when you need to sell.

Ashley honestly doesn't really know when the time is right to do either, his whole way of thinking is very very flawed.

Also the signings like Cabaye and Ba that summer all had some sort of catch (clause / contract expired etc). Cisse was a surprising deal to say the least and it was done as apparently Freiburg lowered their price from what they initially wanted which put us off at first (over 10mil).

Cisse was a belated replacement for Carroll, if we'd got champions league that season i'm not at all convinced we'd have gone on some spending spree or Ashley's mindset would be shifted. The more money we'd have got the more he'd have pocketed imo.

Id not look much into Cabaye not going, Ashley just thinks he can get more. You dont sell an asset below value if you think its about to go up.

His problem is we've only realised some of their potential over one season & other clubs need more than that a lot of the time, the ones with money anyway before the big bids come in.

We've had enough press releases of: We're so vunerable, everyones available at the right price but it must be big, hopefully there wont be interest in xyz because hes really really great and we want to keep him, please dont try to sign this guy big clubs. We market our players like no one else man.

Also the signings like Cabaye and Ba that summer all had some sort of catch (clause / contract expired etc). Cisse was a surprising deal to say the least and it was done as apparently Freiburg lowered their price from what they initially wanted which put us off initially (over 10mil).

Cisse was a belated replacement for Carroll, if we'd got champions league that season i'm not at all convinced we'd have gone on some spending spree or Ashley's mindset would be shifted. The more money we'd have got the more he'd have pocketed imo.

I agree its questionable that a boost in revenue would change his mindset on getting value for money/bargains when signing players.  Though as people have said many times before theirs no evidence that he's pocketed anything.

Well if he rates our players so highly no-one will offer what he wants then we can rest easy :lol:

Still seems a bit of a myth to me. Like the religion or psychics threads, constant claims but no evidence to really back it up.

:troll:

Also the signings like Cabaye and Ba that summer all had some sort of catch (clause / contract expired etc). Cisse was a surprising deal to say the least and it was done as apparently Freiburg lowered their price from what they initially wanted which put us off initially (over 10mil).

I agree its questionable that a boost in revenue would change his mindset on getting value for money/bargains when signing players.  Though as people have said before theirs no evidence that he's pocketed anything.

Maybe pocketed was an offbeat way of putting it, imo though we'd have had the same summer with only Anita coming in even with Champ League qualification. He's simply not interested in investing seriously in the squad. 

The 'policy' of ours is hugely misinterpreted imo. Instead of looking to see what the team actually needs we just scrat about in Ligue 1 for cheap players, and if there is none to be found well then that's fine by Ashley no doubt. No speculate to accumulate. Think 'expiring' 'french' 'interested' '2-4mil' on your champ man filters.

Well if he rates our players so highly no-one will offer what he wants then we can rest easy :lol:

Still seems a bit of a myth to me. Like the religion or psychics threads, constant claims but no evidence to really back it up.

:troll:

Really? Read what Pardew says around any transfer window.

You dont sell a house when theres a flood in your street, if you walk around beforehand saying "oh yer id totally sell my house, i cant afford not to if someone offered close to its value" that suggests slight evidence you'd sell like. Just maybe on a nicer day.