NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

The last year or so we have only focused on the offensive part of our play. Bringing in Cabaye, Hba, Ba, Cisse, Obertan, marveaux, and santon wich seems to me like he wasn't supposed to be a starter this year at all? Next season I want more focus on the defence as it needs rewamping to build up under that attack. We need to start our attacks from the back and it has to show. Far to often we just lump it forwards. With santon behind hba I really think we could see some sexyness on the right hand side overlapping and small passes slicing trough butter style. But he really need to sort out his defensive issues if that is going to happen. Playing behind HBA sure is some work.

The last year or so we have only focused on the offensive part of our play. Bringing in Cabaye, Hba, Ba, Cisse, Obertan, marveaux, and santon wich seems to me like he wasn't supposed to be a starter this year at all? Next season I want more focus on the defence as it needs rewamping to build up under that attack. We need to start our attacks from the back and it has to show. Far to often we just lump it forwards. With santon behind hba I really think we could see some sexyness on the right hand side overlapping and small passes slicing trough butter style. But he really need to sort out his defensive issues if that is going to happen. Playing behind HBA sure is some work.

would be great as they need to double up on hba, that leaves lots of space for santon to do hes magic

Yes agree, strengthening the defence this summer really is key. Left back and new centre half please. If we make europe we'll need a stronger squad anyway and players will always get injured. To have 3 quality centre halfs plus Williamson as back up would be quality.

A top quality centre half is a must and a good left back and we'll have a very strong looking team.

I know nothing of this Butterfield character but other than his mashed up knee sounds an ideal player for us. We love players with smash for a knee. Gosling, Ba now this Butterfield.

I agree defence is the priority but buying a playmaker is also of importance imo we dont currently have someone to do that role. to me Cabaye is a b2b midfielder with great technical ability so it allows him to do that role.

Tiote(Destroyer) Cabaye(b2b) New CM(Playmaker)

Hmmm, decided to read up on this Jacob Butterfield character. Sounds like an interesting proposition for our new tactic:

Most striking, perhaps, was the fact it was difficult to decipher which was Butterfield’s strongest foot. He took corners and free-kicks not with a favoured foot, but with whichever boot was most appropriate for the situation. It might say more about football in this country than it does about Butterfield that this was so startling.

(...)

Today, he’s the Tykes’ talisman. He’s the heartbeat of Barnsley and Keith Hill’s preferred 4-2-3-1 system is suiting him perfectly. Butterfield is effective playing just behind lone striker, but looks most at home as a deep-lying playmaker, when coupled with the likes of Nathan Doyle or David Perkins – tenacious and energetic types.

Butterfield relishes the role of taking the ball off his centre-backs, getting Barnsley’s short passing game going and forcing back opponents as he progresses through their territory.

With those traits, combined with his quality from set pieces, he is becoming an increasingly influential force in the Championship.

Sounds like he'd be perfect as deputy for Cabaye. 

Hmmm, decided to read up on this Jacob Butterfield character. Sounds like an interesting proposition for our new tactic:

Most striking, perhaps, was the fact it was difficult to decipher which was Butterfield’s strongest foot. He took corners and free-kicks not with a favoured foot, but with whichever boot was most appropriate for the situation. It might say more about football in this country than it does about Butterfield that this was so startling.

(...)

Today, he’s the Tykes’ talisman. He’s the heartbeat of Barnsley and Keith Hill’s preferred 4-2-3-1 system is suiting him perfectly. Butterfield is effective playing just behind lone striker, but looks most at home as a deep-lying playmaker, when coupled with the likes of Nathan Doyle or David Perkins – tenacious and energetic types.

Butterfield relishes the role of taking the ball off his centre-backs, getting Barnsley’s short passing game going and forcing back opponents as he progresses through their territory.

With those traits, combined with his quality from set pieces, he is becoming an increasingly influential force in the Championship.

Sounds very promising but like Mole_Toonfan has alluded to, will he be able to make the step up from the Championship?

Actually sounds like he could potentially be Guthrie's replacement (if Danny goes of course......).

I presumed that french lad Amalfitano (sp?) was going to be Guthrie's replacement..... also is just me or if this lad was called Jaime Baurunefield would we be so skeptical?

The skillset fits what we need like a glove but because he's english iam skeptical  :lol:

If ba was carrolls replacement who did cisse replace ? In other words when building a squad you don't just look to directly replace what you are letting go.

To me Ba was never seen as Carroll's replacement more of someone to add quality even when Carroll was here we needed an extra forward anyway.

Considering we tried to sign him last summer Cisse was always considered as Carroll's replacement.

If ba was carrolls replacement who did cisse replace ? In other words when building a squad you don't just look to directly replace what you are letting go.

Going into the January 2011 window, i.e. when we still had Carroll, it was widely recognised we were one striker light. Going into the summer transfer window and presuming we don't lose the likes of Ba and Best I would say we are quite well stocked up front, although a youngster to replace Lovenkrands place in the squad would be nice.

...although a youngster to replace Lovenkrands place in the squad would be nice.

Pretty sure the club has stated at some point that this is on the agenda...

Wrong mate, no one was going to replace Carroll as the style of play become totally different. Ba took his place in the XI but that's not to say he was a replacement as you point out.

...although a youngster to replace Lovenkrands place in the squad would be nice.

Pretty sure the club has stated at some point that this is on the agenda...

Supposedly the agenda is CB, LB, CM and a young versatile forward( like Lovenkrands actually but hopefully much better)

That's if you believe the media anyway.

We'll also have that Amalfitano coming in.

who?? im guessing ive missed something here?

The Chronicle gave it a fleeting mention a few weeks ago, but we'd already been linked with the lad in France. He's a midfielder, on a free and his brother plays for Marseille. Don't think the club have announced it yet though.

Newcastle, Arsenal and Everton linked with Abdennour from Toulouse in the French press.

A LB I see, which is a position we really need strengthening in.

Just did some mini-research and looks like he recently signed a new deal with Toulouse. I imagine he'll cost quite a bit then.....(looks as if he's highly rated in France too).

Wiki says he prefers left-wing but mainly plays left-back. Is M'Bengue not still their first choice?

Just had a look at a few recent match reports, M'Bengue is definitely still their first choice LB. Abdennour has actually been playing at CB.

Guest bimpy474

Off twitter i know.

Mark Douglas ‏ @MsiDouglas

#thejournal tomorrow. Cabaye & Pardew interviews.... Plus news on an international defender #nufc are chasing!

10:30 PM - 5 Apr 12 via Twitter for iPhone · Details