NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Guest sicko2ndbest

Moreover if he decides to go, fails his medical and has to come back, he will be in an awkward situation

always love the Mirror's long-winded URL's, revealing the story.

Ha, that's where you lose. It's actually about Richard Branson buying Demba Ba for £7m to front his space travel business.

Wonder if we've tried to renegotiate his contract to get rid of the clause?

Because of his dodgy knee no club would be willing to splash out proper big money for him. I'm sure loads would want him but now his goals have dried up a bit perhaps other clubs would consider even £7m (plus circa £50k a week?) as a bit too big of a risk?

It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

we are rumoured to have offered him 50kpw for 4 years which he's waiting to discuss with his advisors  possibly at the end of the season.

If we wanna go 4-3-3 permanently and Guthrie is going then we will be short in midfield.

Apart from Guthrie we have Tiote, Cabaye, Jonas, Gosling, Marveaux, Perch, Abeid and Vuckic who can play there. How many (central) midfield players do we need? That being said, I know nothing about the lad, so I have confidence in the club to do the right thing, just an observation that this is an area where we aren't particularly light as that article suggests.

Because of his dodgy knee no club would be willing to splash out proper big money for him. I'm sure loads would want him but now his goals have dried up a bit perhaps other clubs would consider even £7m (plus circa £50k a week?) as a bit too big of a risk?

we are rumoured to have offered him 50kpw for 4 years which he's waiting to discuss with his advisors  possibly at the end of the season.

Didn't know that.

Is that with or without the clause?  ???

Didn't know that.

Is that with or without the clause?  ???

i would imagine without.

Said it before and ill say it again Cabaye and Tiote are a fantastic partnership but we need someone to link the front 3 and Cabaye and Tiote and currently we dont have someone to do that.

Jonas and Guthrie both do a job at this but dont offer enough imo, would like to see a midfielder that provides something like Sigurdsson from Swansea ( maybe not him exactly but someone of that style)

If Guthrie leaves or stays i still think we need this type of player.

Hmmm, decided to read up on this Jacob Butterfield character. Sounds like an interesting proposition for our new tactic:

Most striking, perhaps, was the fact it was difficult to decipher which was Butterfield’s strongest foot. He took corners and free-kicks not with a favoured foot, but with whichever boot was most appropriate for the situation. It might say more about football in this country than it does about Butterfield that this was so startling.

(...)

Today, he’s the Tykes’ talisman. He’s the heartbeat of Barnsley and Keith Hill’s preferred 4-2-3-1 system is suiting him perfectly. Butterfield is effective playing just behind lone striker, but looks most at home as a deep-lying playmaker, when coupled with the likes of Nathan Doyle or David Perkins – tenacious and energetic types.

Butterfield relishes the role of taking the ball off his centre-backs, getting Barnsley’s short passing game going and forcing back opponents as he progresses through their territory.

With those traits, combined with his quality from set pieces, he is becoming an increasingly influential force in the Championship.

Hmmm, decided to read up on this Jacob Butterfield character. Sounds like an interesting proposition for our new tactic:

Most striking, perhaps, was the fact it was difficult to decipher which was Butterfield’s strongest foot. He took corners and free-kicks not with a favoured foot, but with whichever boot was most appropriate for the situation. It might say more about football in this country than it does about Butterfield that this was so startling.

(...)

Today, he’s the Tykes’ talisman. He’s the heartbeat of Barnsley and Keith Hill’s preferred 4-2-3-1 system is suiting him perfectly. Butterfield is effective playing just behind lone striker, but looks most at home as a deep-lying playmaker, when coupled with the likes of Nathan Doyle or David Perkins – tenacious and energetic types.

Butterfield relishes the role of taking the ball off his centre-backs, getting Barnsley’s short passing game going and forcing back opponents as he progresses through their territory.

With those traits, combined with his quality from set pieces, he is becoming an increasingly influential force in the Championship.

His style sounds perfect, question is does he have the quality needed to make the jump.... doing it in the Championship is one thing but for a team that will likely be in Europe and wants to consistently be top 6 in the PL every year is another thing entirely.

Anyone here seen him alot? if so could he make the jump?

It's definitely an element of that, and also the tone of it in my head was "I've read up on this Jacob Butterfield character... and you will SIMPLY not believe what I've found, the bitch!"

Don't really pay much notice to The Sun but found this interesting;

Newcastle visit Swansea tomorrow and Pards admits to regrets not signing the Swans’ 12-goal top-scorer Danny Graham.

He said: “I was given a big shout on him by Watford boss Malky Mackay and I wish I’d taken him up on it.”

(...)

Sounds very promising but like Mole_Toonfan has alluded to, will he be able to make the step up from the Championship?

Actually sounds like he could potentially be Guthrie's replacement (if Danny goes of course......).

Most striking, perhaps, was the fact it was difficult to decipher which was Butterfield’s strongest foot. He took corners and free-kicks not with a favoured foot, but with whichever boot was most appropriate for the situation.

Reminds me of Ginola. Clearly remember him taking corners with both feet.

Most striking, perhaps, was the fact it was difficult to decipher which was Butterfield’s strongest foot. He took corners and free-kicks not with a favoured foot, but with whichever boot was most appropriate for the situation.

Reminds me of Ginola. Clearly remember him taking corners with both feet.

His description as a deep playing playmaker who likes to come deep to collect and build the forward movement as well as being able to play behind a lone striker plus the fact he is two footed reminds me of Sneijder. I have no idea how good the lad is though, or whether he could cut it in the Premiership.