Newcastle United 1 - 0 QPR - 15/01/12 - Post-match reaction from page 42

Mike

The shape of the team today was baffling.

At times we had Jonas and HBA on the right for huge chunks, Best on the left.

Jonas wandering around, Colo ending up on the right. It was awful to watch.

A win's a win i suppose.

We seriously need some additions, not sure if it's upfront or midfield but a bit of pace would be nice.

I actually thought Shola was okay, I'm a big critic but he did a good job of holding the ball up and retaining.  He's never going to be a dynamic threat but we gave the ball away frequently and he did a good job of retaining ball and calming things down - not particularly inspiring but has its purpose.

As I say, with Cabaye out, the team is on its last legs.

Guest Wally_McFool

Krul -7

Simpson - 6

Colo - 8 Usual captains performance from Colo

Williamson - 7

Santon - 8 Staring to be well impressed with this kid

Guthrie - 8 Excellent performonce

Cabaye - 7

Taylor - 6

Jonas - 8 Shades Guthrie & Santon for MoM for me.

Best - 7

Shola - 6 IMO carrying a knock. Felt a bit sorry for him today.

Ben Arfa - 7

Perch - 6

Gosling 6

Wilkins - 1 Annoyng cockney bastard.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?40,file=26204,filename=stfu.gif

The shape of the team today was baffling.

At times we had Jonas and HBA on the right for huge chunks, Best on the left.

Jonas wandering around, Colo ending up on the right. It was awful to watch.

A win's a win i suppose.

Pardiola tearing up the tactical rulebook  :pardsgrin:

:lol:

It was still f***ing weird to watch, i didn't have a clue what we were trying to achieve.

Shola is often good at receiving the ball and keeping possession in a deep position. In todays game that's all he was useful for.

Someone like Bellamy would have been 10 times more effective as an outlet.

edit: Sorry, should be in the Shola thread.

Krul

Simpson  Colo  Willi  Santon

Jonas  Guthrie  R.Taylor

HBA          Ameobi      Best

is how I saw it. And we looked the most fluid of the entire match. Then he went and made it 4-4-fucking-2 again.

Think plaudits have to be given to Ryan Taylor.

He had to play CM with Guthrie and did a fine job, just holding his position and ticking things over.

Obviously, Santon, Jonas and Guthrie were all great too, and Besty had a decent game.

I can't see us winning against better teams than QPR if we have too many games with Ryan Taylor in midfield. Not saying he did badly, but just about all the premier teams have better players in the midfield. We can only carry so many passengers IMO.

Krul 7

Simpson 6

Williamson 7

Coloccini 8

Santon 8

Raylor 7

Cabaye n/a

Guthrie 8

Jonas 6.5

Best 7.5

Shola 6

Ben Arfa 7

Perch 6

Gosling 6

Comfortable win, we never really had to do much as QPR had zero cutting edge throughout and generally looked like a poor Championship team. Santon was very impressive, Guthrie was composed and efficient in possession and Ben Arfa looked very bright when he came on. The goal should give Best a lot of confidence, but we desperately need another striker in the long term.

Poor game poor atmosphere feeezing fkn cold, Cabaye injured but we won it and that is what counts.

Strange 2nd half tactics from Pards, why settle for 1-0 vs a very poor side who were there for the taking.

Shola 6

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Shola was OK. Not good by any means, but he did the target man shit well, and that's something I don't often rate him for, given he should win so much more in the air with his height. I thought the ball stuck to him well, and he got rid of the ball to one of the attacking midfielders. He still failed miserably when he tried to do anything on the ball, and didn't chase anyone down, so he's definitely no higher than a 6, but I don't agree with the 3s etc.

Bit puzzled by why he seemed to try and shut up shop myself.

He did it too early for my liking. 72 mins or something I believe. Could've waited another 10 minutes and then did it, if he was insistent upon doing so.