Adrian Mariappa stays at Watford

Skirge

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Supposed to be comfortable with the ball and likes playing it out, so aye. Can see why Swansea have interest.

one of the best journos Henry Winter says..

How do you solve a problem like Mariappa? Adebayor can't get past him. Mariappa outstanding. No wonder Newcaste interested in him.

Sounds positive enough :thup:

was quiet i thought so not the best game to judge him. nosworthy was much more involved, which is probably tactical. mariappa on the other hand tended to drop back rather than attack the ball or mark closely, which would be ideal for us playing a high line as he can cover in behind.

that turd "moose" just reported on talkshyte radio that two of our scouts were at the game tonight watford vs spurs. 

bollox yeh?  why do we need two scouts?  won't one just do?  and why are they still scouting when we already made up our mind on him and put in bids?

besides i thought our final offer was turned down.

that turd "moose" just reported on talkshyte radio that two of our scouts were at the game tonight watford vs spurs. 

bollox yeh?  why do we need two scouts?  won't one just do?

John Carver and Steve Stone were there.

cool but why we still scouting at this stage? we already put in bids for him already. we know how good he is.

From the bit I saw he looks a pretty composed sort of player, was decent on the ball and got up well for headers.

From the number of bids it seems clear this is the deal we're trying to nail before the deadline.

Brinkmanship is fine, but I hope Llambias appreciates that this time we just have to get a defender over the line.

cool but why we still scouting at this stage? we already put in bids for him already. we know how good he is.

Guess Pardew wanted his two trusted men to have a look at Mariappa and tell him what they really think?

Guess Pardew wanted his two trusted men to have a look at him and tell him what they think?

doesnt hurt to be sure i guess. lol

Maybe still deciding just how good (much) he is (worth).

This'll be a deadline day deal. Watford haven't told us to stay away, he wants to join us......it'll happen for a fee less than they want.

And it's another tool for our toolbox. Against tall strikers, go with Willo and against fast strikers (Fulham, WBA) go with Mariappa.

This'll be a deadline day deal. Watford haven't told us to stay away, he wants to join us......it'll happen for a fee less than they want.

And it's another tool for our toolbox. Against tall strikers, go with Willo and against fast strikers (Fulham, WBA) go with Mariappa.

Sounds good :)

Some apparent ITK on Watford boards:

Good news on this one tonight, literally as much from the horses mouth as possible.

Mariappa will not be sold unless we receive what we are labelling a 'massive' fee - I asked if 3 would do it, he said it fell way short of our valuation, just as well - he was superb tonight.

Guest bimpy474

And i would say because we are due to play Tottenham soon, two birds with one stone and all that, two for one scouting mission.

And i would say because we are due to play Tottenham soon, two birds with one stone and all that, two for one scouting mission.

"Right you keep an eye on Mariappa, I will look out for Spurs" :D

Guest bimpy474

"Right you keep an eye on Mariappa, I will look out for Spurs" :D

Scouting Assignments  :frantic: the new Carr's :D

read this on a another site earlier....

I just wanted to come on here, having watched the criticism of Mariappa from afar, to put them right. I had a season ticket at NUFC for 3 years, but when I had to move back home (watford) before moving to the city (London) I had a Watford season ticket for two years.

Now I don’t know what basis everyone else is judging him on, I guess the fact they don’t know who he is and plays in the Championship but I can actually judge him on 70 odd games over 2-3 seasons. The boy is committed, quick, strong and good in the air for a smaller player. He was there at the same time Williamson was and Mariappa was also considered the star defender. If he didn’t play they more than often lost, and definitely leaked goals. He is a good player and would do a good job as BACK UP, because that’s what we are signing, not a first choice.

What gets me even more about the fact people criticise him is that inevitably the same people want to see Douglas come in, a player that they also probably have never really seen play, but they have bought him on Football manager. Mariappa is far better in the sense that he knows he is coming as back up and will not agitate for first team – if douglas comes in and finds himself on bench next season how long will it be until he wants to leave/causes trouble in the dressing room?

Still back the management who have done so well on transfers, I think Mariappa is good enough (far better than Willo) and they think he is good enough too. If you disagree, because you have watched Mariappa play 10-20 times and have identified faults I haven’t fine, if its because of rep/who he plays for then you aren’t qualfied to make that judgment.

bollox yeh?  why do we need two scouts?  won't one just do?  and why are they still scouting when we already made up our mind on him and put in bids?

The Moose also said that he's watched him for nearly 5yr and if he was going to make a premiership CB then he would of been one already... Mmm great insight!...

Guest Heneage

Given that Douglas would challenge our first choice and Mariappa would slot behind them I'd want Douglas. I don't ever like buying backup players unless it's a veteran goalkeeper. It's just asking for trouble.