Adrian Mariappa stays at Watford

Skirge

The Sun..

WATFORD ace Adrian Mariappa is set to hand in a transfer request after Newcastle increased their initial £2million bid.

The defender, 25, had already rejected a slightly improved four-year deal at Vicarage Road after Toon's first approach.

We can take our time with this anyway, wait until deadline day and I bet we get him for nowhere near what they expect.

Ala Rob Elliott...

Charlton Board - "You're offering how much?  Nah, you can bugger off.  In fact, we're reporting you to the FA for unsettling our player! *whisper to chairman* haha we'll be able to bleed more money out of these big shots...just you watch...they'll chuck in a milion on top!"

Transfer deadline day

Charlton Board - "errr Mr chairman, they haven't came back with an improved offer yet...Rob is already on his way to Newcastle saying he wants to go there...what shall we do?"

Mr Chairman "Ahh balls, ah well then we'll just have to accept that offer then. Any money's better than no money and an unhappy player."

:weep:

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble buying the theory that holding out on Watford will drive the price down. Neither am I convinced that they are desperate to sell. Maybe I'm just being a Negative Nancy, but I've got this inclination that if this is our "only" option and we play brinkmanship then we might miss out - because we all know Ashley won't be held to ransom and he'd rather walk away than pay the extra...

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble buying the theory that holding out on Watford will drive the price down. Neither am I convinced that they are desperate to sell. Maybe I'm just being a Negative Nancy, but I've got this inclination that if this is our "only" option and we play brinkmanship then we might miss out - because we all know Ashley won't be held to ransom and he'd rather walk away than pay the extra...

It's just "modern football" in action. A team higher up the pecking order (in this case miles higher) comes in, makes bid and sits back waiting for the player and agent to inevitably agitate.

Think all of that's very fair, to be honest.

What do you make of Dyche down there generally GG? I thought he'd struggle based on what I knew of his character, think he's the most alpha male I've ever seen in my life.

Not yet entirely convinced, but he comes across well in interviews and we appear to be playing alright - however, whether that was more down to Michael Kightly's impact than his management remains to be seen. A bit like Malky Mackay, he started off unconvincingly stepping up into seemingly 'bigger' shoes, but is growing into them.

I'd rather the club fold than pay £4m for this lad. Tomkins I'd just about understand, but that is a crazy price for his ability.

Ridgewell for £2m is a much better option, can cover LB as well.

Totally underwhelmed by this guy. Doesn't mean to say he isnt a good player or a potentially good signing for us. I hope we don't pay over the odds. I'm fully onboard if its around the 2 million mark.