Newcastle United 2 - 2 Wolves - 25/02/12 - post-match reaction from page 34

Nate

After Spuds I thought the first thing we'd work on was not losing possession easily. Think again.

Terrible ball retention throughout the game. Really woeful.

Absolutely spot on, and goes against all the s**** Pardew was spewing about playing a different style this season, as its gone on, its getting more and more like watching Fat Sam's served up tripe.

His style that was based around a 4-5-1 with Ben Arfa being the focal point behind the lone striker.

I think Ba's success caught everyone by surprise, as Cisse/Maiga were always targeted to come in and take that front spot. Ben Arfa's injuries didnt help him, likewise Ba's goalscoring form. Think Pardew has completely changed his mind leaving Ben Arfa in complete limbo. Would not be surprised in the least if Ben Arfa is gone in the summer.Probably somewhere like QPR who will leapfrog us in the league next year.

Added the last sentance in for some kneejerk tastic effect. 

Why didn't we sign a right back and a centre half in January or even last Summer, man :lol:

Can't expect to get into Europe with Danny f***ing Simpson and Mike Williamcunt

We will get in Europe this season, and that's better than Hughton could of done. i can't believe the knee jerk reactions over Pardew

Don't think Wolves are the bad a side and don't think we were especially bad today. We all know where our strengths and weaknesses lie - one unlucky deflection and a poor Williamson header aside it should have been a different story. Yeah ideally we should win these games but remember we just came off a 5-0 hammering ourselves.

Everyone expects us to play this certain type of football which is fine, but our strengths lie in our ability to close teams down and then hit our strikers directly for attacking opportunities. We can pass the ball when we need to, just seems we turn to jelly when teams hit back at us. That's a worry of course and some of the players need to take responsibility for their performances in the last half an hour of games.

What a shower of shite

Simpson stop trying to cross the fucking ball as you are utter shit at it!

Willi is just not fucking good enough.

Hatem this is why you don't get a game, you just cannot keep on losing possession.

Looked like Tiotes hamstring hpe to fucking god he is alright.

2-0 up after 18 mins and we let those brutal cunts back into it, more depressing than being raped off Spurs.

What a shower of s****

Simpson stop trying to cross the f***ing ball as you are utter s*** at it!

Willi is just not f***ing good enough.

Hatem this is why you don't get a game, you just cannot keep on losing possession.

Looked like Tiotes hamstring hpe to f***ing god he is alright.

209 up after 18 mins and we let those brutal c***s back into it, more depressing than being raped off Spurs.

Ben Arfa, will never get any better if he's not given any playing time. Far better put up with some frustration and get him match fit.

Very similar to the reverse fixture with a much fairer result. Interesting and edifying to see that half a season on, the attitude of the board appears to have swung dramatically having watched very similar performances. Judging from the match thread, I think the same level of anger would be directed at the team/Pardew, even if we had undeservedly snuck a 2-1 win this time too.

Whilst before there was acceptance, and indeed happiness, that "some days you will play badly and get grind out a result" and that we must not grumble/must accentuate the positives,.... if you continue to apply that over the course of a season bar a handful of times (and I do mean maybe four or five, here), people will become disgruntled.

Pardew has wonderful resources at his disposal and for all the credit he deserves for guiding us to 6th in the table at the end of February, we should really analyse what he's working with here.

Tiote, Cabaye, Ba, Krul and Colo are incredible players IMO. Beneath that, you've got some real talent in Jonas, HBA and Santon. After that you've got decent players - nowt incredible, but people who can do the simple stuff, work hard and fit into a decent system around such a strong core of other more influential players. [Excluding Cisse for the moment, until more is known].

Pardew can take credit for bringing some of those players in, but in terms of shaping a team out of them, he's done a poor job. The evidence for that have been performances - nothing quantifiable that I can back up with stats I'm afraid, just what you can see with your eyes. We don't control possession, we don't dominate games or dictate the tempo of games... ever really. We are lethal with our chances for the most part, we play a direct style and we have ground out results commendably.

A good passing team doesn't happen overnight, but I see very little progress being made and if/when the results start to fade, more people will begin to ask Pardew very credible questions. Cabaye might ask him when this passing football he promised will happen, for instance.

Today was just one match, but it was (on a very small scale!) a little bit heart-wrenching to see HBA play. He seemed so much more inhibited, hesitant and burdened in his decision-making. He's obviously try to impress Pardew with his workrate, tracking and other aspects of his play - and it all looked a bit forced and unnatural to me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that it's a team game and individuals shouldn't be prioritised above the team, but I don't really want to see HBA chasing back to our corner flag. If we had a right-back who didn't abrogate responsibility for marking to any willing covering newcomer in that zone, it wouldn't be an issue but I digress.

My point is that HBA shouldn't be coached into being Ryan Taylor. We have Ryan Taylor for that. He is HBA and should be let loose unbridled, a la Laurent Robert - he looks so fucking overly-wrought out there mentally.

I said at half-time I was not worried and that goals changed games - I did not anticipate that Pardew/the team was happy cede momentum for the remainder of the match - I naively hoped it was just to take the sting out of the game until half-time. :anguish: Having watched Pardew's love of defending slim leads by throwing on Perchs and Guthries, perhaps I should have known better.

Pardew has bought himself a lot of affection/time with our results this season, but despite numerous and repeated warnings, he still has a tremendous amount of work to do in getting us to play better football because eventually results will always begin to reflect performances*.

[/random spiel]

Disappointed in the players more than anything. Pardew basically put out the best team, they just didn't seem to want to play football.

Do you think that Pardew should take some of the blame? He had two weeks to get us into shape to go out and attack Wolves at home. We made one chance in 90 minutes. It's not good enough, we didn't want to play football and it all stems from him, I dont know if you've noticed but we haven't wanted to play football for the majority of the season.

Guest bimpy474

After Spuds I thought the first thing we'd work on was not losing possession easily. Think again.

Terrible ball retention throughout the game. Really woeful.

Absolutely spot on, and goes against all the s**** Pardew was spewing about playing a different style this season, as its gone on, its getting more and more like watching Fat Sam's served up tripe.

His style that was based around a 4-5-1 with Ben Arfa being the focal point behind the lone striker.

I think Ba's success caught everyone by surprise, as Cisse/Maiga were always targeted to come in and take that front spot. Ben Arfa's injuries didnt help him, likewise Ba's goalscoring form. Think Pardew has completely changed his mind leaving Ben Arfa in complete limbo. Would not be surprised in the least if Ben Arfa is gone in the summer.Probably somewhere like QPR who will leapfrog us in the league next year.

Added the last sentance in for some kneejerk tastic effect. 

I think Simpson doesn't help us keeping the ball, Full backs are important in modern football to do it, and he is simply to slow, poor at passing and his decision making is crapper than crap, but its still Pardews fault we hoof it, he is in charge of the team and the buck stops with him for our style of play.

Ignoring that last sentence like :D

Pardew takes the blame here.  If anything, he should be actively looking to take it in order to protect the squad and fans that he has royally f***ed over.

:facepalm:

you know what's shocking about todays performance?

that was the exact same team that beat man utd 3-0.  only difference was, shola played that night instead of Ciise.

the mind boggles  :kasper:

Which would be a sign it was more down to player performance really. They sat back on 2-0 & wolves got a bit of luck that turned the match. We've been there before with Fulhams dodgy pen for their 1st also. We dont react well to those situations seemingly.

Right, that was gash.

Krill - 7 not much to d for the goal, some good saves but way too much hoof.

Simpson - 4 worst player in a black an white shirt today, woeful in possession and caught out of position way too many times.

Willi - 5 too slow, did okay in the air but surely needs to be stronger!

Colo- 6 fine.

Santon - 6 was good, best attacking outlet at points, although needs to work n his left foot.

R Tay - 5 average

Cabaye - 6 good first half, nowhere to be seen second.

Tiote - 7 good to have him back, held possession well for the most part.

Guti - 6 was fine. Loses the ball plenty, fantastic goal.

Cisse - 6 looked dangerous when running into space, scored.

Ba - 5 never really had a sniff, couldn't keep the ball.

Subs;

Ben Ben Ben Arfa 5 still loses it too much, only player willing to make a chance or even try and take one.

Guthrie - 3 atrocious, lost the ball every 30 seconds, no exaggeration.

Shola - 9 me gusta all skills.