Arsenal vs Newcastle United - 12/03/12 @ 8pm (live on Sky) - pre-match thread

Dave

Let's be positive :)  If we can keep possession and Tiote and Cabaye can stifle their midfield threat chasing them down when they have the ball then I think we can get something.  Ben Arfa has to play, we look a different side with him on the pitch just in terms of our movement and attacking threat.

I'd like to see:

Krul

Santon  Willo      Colo  Ferguson

HBA      Tiote      Cabaye  Jonas

Ba

Cisse

I think we'll see Simpson at right back and Raylor will be squeezed in somewhere at the expense of either Santon (left back) or HBA (Right mid) though.

Let's be positive :)  If we can keep possession and Tiote and Cabaye can stifle their midfield threat chasing them down when they have the ball then I think we can get something.  Ben Arfa has to play, we look a different side with him on the pitch just in terms of our movement and attacking threat.

I'd like to see:

Krul

Ba

Cisse

I think we'll see Simpson at right back and Raylor will be squeezed in somewhere at the expense of either Santon (left back) or HBA (Right mid) though.

That team just has so much more going for it imo opinion. Two full backs confident on the ball and able to put a foot in. The latter is bound to happen though.

The teams including HBA and Ferguson will never happen. We'll be extremely lucky to see one of them start at the expense of Simpson/Raylor, although it is an astonishing idea that Pardew might not start HBA after he basically turned the last game around on his own. Already pisses me off. 4 sleeps. :anguish:

I'm reasonably confident HBA will start.

And be not awful, but not great against an on-song Arsenal side. At which point he'll get shunted back to the bench for not dragging the team through a game by himself.

I'd like to see:

Krul

Ba

Cisse

That team just has so much more going for it imo opinion. Two full backs confident on the ball and able to put a foot in. The latter is bound to happen though.

That's the one I'd go for too.

Guest Brynn

Ryan Taylor will start in midfield, why people bring Ben Arfa into this - I dont know.  When he went past half the team and scored and went on to become FA-CUP player of the round and the best goal the Gaffer had ever seen, he still found a warm seat with his name on it the next weekend.

Ben arfa wont start, ever, under pardew.

Ryan Taylor will start in midfield, why people bring Ben Arfa into this - I dont know.  When he went past half the team and scored and went on to become FA-CUP player of the round and the best goal the Gaffer had ever seen, he still found a warm seat with his name on it the next weekend.

Ben arfa wont start, ever, under pardew.

Is this your genuine opinion or just looking for a reaction?

Pardew has been hard to predict on HBA so far I agree, but to say he'll never start HBA is a bit much.

Krul

Jonas      Tiote      Cabaye  HBA

Ba

Cisse

Would love to see this team given a chance just once at some point. Not sure this is the ideal time to try it, but can't think of a better line up for us. Nice to have full backs who can handle pace. Ba may have to play deeper. Woulden't be shocked if Pardew put 5 in midfield for this one after Spurs.

Guest Brynn

My genuine opinion is that Pardew is mostly concerned with what other teams might do to us, not what we might do to them. For that reason alone anyone that compromises our defensive forte would be someone he is very reluctant to start.

I am not saying HBA will never be on his mind, but HBA coming on is more likely to be a reactive reaction to the game not going as he planned, or someone going off injured, goals conceded, or if starting, the game itself not being of much importance. Other but more unlikely scenarios would include pressure from Mike/llambas, or public outcry.

As long as Pardew has a full squad to choose from and it is a game of importance, I dont think he would start HBA, no. Ba and Cisse up front is plenty sufficient as far as a goal threat goes as far as Alan is concerned, anything more than that is just luxury graving.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Can't see Taylor being dropped after signing his new contract tbh.

Might replace Santon, which would be madness considering their pace out wide. Even considering Santon's potential lapses in concentration/whatever, he's much better suited as an athlete to combat Ox or Walcott.

My genuine opinion is that Pardew is mostly concerned with what other teams might do to us, not what we might do to them. For that reason alone anyone that compromises our defensive forte would be someone he is very reluctant to start.

I am not saying HBA will never be on his mind, but HBA coming on is more likely to be a reactive reaction to the game not going as he planned, or someone going off injured, goals conceded, or if starting, the game itself not being of much importance. Other but more unlikely scenarios would include pressure from Mike/llambas, or public outcry.

As long as Pardew has a full squad to choose from and it is a game of importance, I dont think he would start HBA, no. Ba and Cisse up front is plenty sufficient as far as a goal threat goes as far as Alan is concerned, anything more than that is just luxury graving.

Sounds about spot on to me, we will see.

I reckon HBA will play but I also think Santon will drop out.

I'd go along with this as i think Santon is a good attacking footballer but gets caught upfield too much/isn't disciplined enough.

For the record, it certainly isn't what I would do, Santon would be one of the first names on the teamsheet for me, our only competent attacking full back.