Newcastle United v Liverpool - Sunday 1st April 2012 1:30pm (Live on Sky Sports)

Sima

I'd want to be mathematically certain of finishing 6th before doing any sort of gloating, plus he has won something. It's very small time IMO.

That and those "comedy faces" are the most unfunny cringeworthy things on the internet, though that seems to be a personal preference unfortunately.

:okay:

:troll:

I'd want to be mathematically certain of finishing 6th before doing any sort of gloating, plus he has won something. It's very small time IMO.

That and those "comedy faces" are the most unfunny cringeworthy things on the internet, though that seems to be a personal preference unfortunately.

:lol: no they're not

After James, obviously.

Guest barnabox

Absolutely.  We're just asking for karma to fuck us over if we do this now.  It's exactly the sort of thing we laugh at the mackems for.

Absolutely.  We're just asking for karma to fuck us over if we do this now.  It's exactly the sort of thing we laugh at the mackems for.

Have you read what its about.

We are indeed fighting for a 6th spot.

We have still fought for it if we finish 7th tbh.

Not that it really matters :lol:

AS United prepare to take on Liverpool, former Toon star Tino Asprilla gives his verdict on Kenny Dalglish’s time in the St James’ hot seat.

TINO ASPRILLA today stuck the boot into Kenny Dalglish – and branded the dour Scot: “The man who destroyed the Entertainers.”

Dalglish returns to St James’ Park on Sunday for the powder-keg Premier League clash that could go a long way to deciding whether Tino’s old team qualify for Europe – in a week when painful memories are sure to be evoked.

The former Newcastle boss arrived on Tyneside in 1997 hoping to lift the Premier League title, but only succeeded in dismantling one of the greatest teams in the Magpies’ history as he incredibly sold Peter Beardsley, David Ginola, Les Ferdinand, Lee Clark, John Beresford, Robbie Elliott – and the talisman himself, Asprilla.

Dalglish did lead the black-and-whites to the Champions League, but his wrecking spree on Tyneside broke up Kevin Keegan’s dream team – to the fury of the Toon Army.

Worse still, Dalglish then caused astonishment at St James’ Park by replacing the terrace favourites with veterans like John Barnes, Ian Rush, Stuart Pearce and virtual unknowns like Des Hamilton and Garry Brady.

Asprilla told the Chronicle: “When Kenny Daglish arrived at Newcastle I had heard so many good things about him.

“And I could not wait to play for him.

“Anyone who achieves so much as a player like he did you would naturally expect him to do well as a manager.

“This was not the case. Within months he had the team playing a style that was alien to most of us and he started to sell some of our star players.

“The stars like Ginola, Ferdinand and Beardsley were moved on.

AS United prepare to take on Liverpool, former Toon star Tino Asprilla gives his verdict on Kenny Dalglish’s time in the St James’ hot seat.

“It was a team that could have gone on to win the league, having come so close in 1996.

“But instead we were broken up and the dream faded. I was sad to see Dalglish destroy the team.”

Asprilla endured a fraught relationship with Dalglish.

And even after the pair’s finest hour together when Asprilla scored a hat-trick against Barcelona in the Champions League in 1997, he didn’t manage to nail the permanent run in the side he was looking for.

The 1997-98 season in question resulted in Newcastle tumbling from second place to 13th – a situation Tino feels he could have rectified.

Asprilla, who has always claimed he would never have quit Newcastle had Keegan left, said: “I found myself out of the side and on the bench.

“I did not feel that this was fair and knew that given the chance I could turn around our average season.

“I did not complain, I just did my training and waited for my chances, but they were few and far between.”

The relationship couldn’t be resolved. Newcastle papered over the cracks of their horrendous league form by beating Stevenage, Tranmere, Barnsley and Sheffield United to reach the FA Cup final and Asprilla was sold back to Parma.

Asprilla said: “My departure was a sad day for me and I wish things could have been different.

“I have no malice towards Kenny, but with hindsight I think the club and the fans realise now that he was not the right man for the job.”

About the banner idea, please don't make one! I can understand the reasons for doing so but really if the game doesn't go our way then we would look like real fools.

Liverpool could beat us 10-0 and we've still proved him wrong.

Aye, but it's still a cheap shot. Would prefer to just get a result and as Jose Enrique puts his head down to walk off we just look down on him in silence

About the banner idea, please don't make one! I can understand the reasons for doing so but really if the game doesn't go our way then we would look like real fools.

Aye, but it's still a cheap shot. Would prefer to just get a result and as Jose Enrique puts his head down to walk off we just look down on him in silence

No more a cheap shot than what that comment was in the first place. Karma.

:lol: no they're not

:lol: Such a disgruntled old man comment. He's not even an old man. I can only imagine the levels of grump that will be hit when he's in his 50s.

"comedy faces" ffs :lol: :lol:

True enough but I just don't like the idea of such a banner when there's still 8 games left! Ian W's got it right, if we win, I'm sure we'll give Jose an appropriate send off - just have to think of a chant really.....

True enough but I just don't like the idea of such a banner when there's still 8 games left! Ian W's got it right, if we win, I'm sure we'll give Jose an appropriate send off - just have to think of a chant really.....

I think a cheeky "You should have stayed at a big club" would do.

I think a cheeky "You should have stayed at a big club" would do.

Yeah, that sounds good.