Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Roughly 10 matches is the correct length of time one should pass judgement on a player who plays for NUFC.

Perch, Nolan, Coloccini & R.Taylor disagree.

Enrique and Best too.

Ryan Taylor is still the same player he was when he joined tbh. Solid, versatile professional with the penchant for the spectacular but generally an average footballer. He's just been around long enough to score his quota of screamers and put himself into folklore with THAT goal.

Roughly 10 matches is the correct length of time one should pass judgement on a player who plays for NUFC.

Enrique and Best too.

Ryan Taylor is still the same player he was when he joined tbh. Solid, versatile professional with the penchant for the spectacular but generally an average footballer. He's just been around long enough to score his quota of screamers and put himself into folklore with THAT goal.

:thup: all around

Amazes me how quickly people judge a young player who has yet to find his stride, in a team that has been stuttering along this campaign, and for a manager who is still trying to get right system, formation, and tactics right for this squad.

Enrique and Best too.

:thup: all around

Amazes me how quickly people judge a young player who has yet to find his stride, in a team that has been stuttering along this campaign, and for a manager who is still trying to get right system, formation, and tactics right for this squad.

He knows what the right system is, everyone does.

AmI allowed to pass judgement and conclude he was not what I think we needed based on the fact I've seen him play for Ajax for the last five or so seasons, or is that irrelevant?

Did you think Tiote would be the player he turned into? The Forest fans thought Perch would never step up, IIRC Coventry fans didn't care at all about Best leaving etc...

Okay Anita cost a fair bit more than those but it is far too early to be judging a player and with all those occasions where it has been thrown back in peoples faces I am surprised some still come out with the 'I know it's early..' stuff.

A central midfielder shouldn't have been our first and only major signing during the last transfer window when we were crying out for defenders and a forward.  Spending £8 million on midfield and nothing on defence and attack has already cost us and I bet we make the same mistake again because we'll be looking for what we think is value rather than what we actually need.

On that basis the signing of Anita was madness and should have been way down our list of priorities.  Having said that, he shouldn't be written off after so few games. 

I think he'll be fine just needs to adapt to the league, and agree we should have signed several positions before this but I don't think we operate like that, think we keep tabs on several players and bid when we can for them. We didn't have enough defenders shortlisted evidently.

A central midfielder shouldn't have been our first and only major signing during the last transfer window when we were crying out for defenders and a forward.  Spending £8 million on midfield and nothing on defence and attack has already cost us and I bet we make the same mistake again because we'll be looking for what we think is value rather than what we actually need.

On that basis the signing of Anita was madness and should have been way down our list of priorities.  Having said that, he shouldn't be written off after so few games. 

:thup:

I'm not writing him off at all by the way. He's our player now, and for that reason I hope he proves to be a world beater. Fact remains I've seen more of him than most on here and whilst you're all hoping and perhaps expecting him to undergo the magic Graham Carr signing effect, I've not seen much to suggest he was particularly undervalued when we got him. My expectation for him is to become a fairly solid defensive midfield player (which is his best position), no more no less.

:thup:

I'm not writing him off at all by the way. He's our player now, and for that reason I hope he proves to be a world beater. Fact remains I've seen more of him than most on here and whilst you're all hoping and perhaps expecting him to undergo the magic Graham Carr signing effect, I've not seen much to suggest he was particularly undervalued when we got him. My expectation for him is to become a fairly solid defensive midfield player (which is his best position), no more no less.

I've personally got no expectations of him as I have nothing to base any expectations on, at most I hope he comes good and just feel that he has time on his side to turn out to be a good signing.  I have no idea whether he's capable of pulling that off or not and can't judge him this early.

What's going on with this guy, why's he not getting a game?  Given his versatility and the fact that not many of our lot are setting the world alight you'd think he'd play.  Amazed that Simpson has just strolled back into the team like he's one of our most important players.