How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

Absolutely phenomenal player, he ripped us apart a few times when he was at QPR before we signed him, winning the header then getting to his own flick-on first, he was unplayable at that time. Seems like a good bloke too.

I seem to remember him scoring a quality goal against Man Utd the season before he signed for us.

Met him in a pub once btw, lost control of myself and said "Hi Les, you're amazing...", could have played it cooler like.

Absolutely phenomenal player, he ripped us apart a few times when he was at QPR before we signed him, winning the header then getting to his own flick-on first, he was unplayable at that time. Seems like a good bloke too.

I seem to remember him scoring a quality goal against Man Utd the season before he signed for us.

Met him in a pub once btw, lost control of myself and said "Hi Les, you're amazing...", could have played it cooler like.

:lol: I just know I'd do that too.

:lol: Served him when I worked in Tesco CLS.

Was Pardew's first game against Liverpool.  He came to me till.  My first words were, "It's not every day you get to serve your boyhood idol!"  He just laughed.

Said he was up visiting old mates and said we were 1 up through Nolan.

Guest Boqueron

He bottled the second half of that season, couldn't handle the pressure and his many missed chances cost us the title. Could be argued that his form in the first half of the season put us in the position inthe first place . . .

Sir Les was a great signing by KK and we could see why he had traded Andy Cole in earlier that year. The only thing I had slight reservations about was that Ferdinand was coming up 28 by the time we signed him and I reckon that came back to bite us on the a--e in the 1996 title race, esp against Man U at SJP ; yes, Schmeichel had a great game but Ferdinand should have left him no chance with at least one of his efforts when he shot lamely at the keeper...

Nevertheless, a good bloke , enjoyed his time at the club and was a great partner for Shearer - I reckon that if KK had been able to get Shearer in the 95 close season, we would definitely have won the title - the club did ask Blackburn but they wouldn't sell at that time because they had just won the title.

Les was sold because Dalglish wanted a younger player(Tomasson)to partner Shearer...Shearer's injury at Everton pre-season put paid to that, but Sir Les had given his word to Spurs and wouldn't go back on it.

One of our best strikers of the last 20 years - we could really do with him now....

Got a lot of time for Sir Les. I was gutted that he didn't lead the line for England at Euro 96 when Shearer was in a shocking run of form for England prior to the tournament. Was devastated to see Les leave the club as he was a great player and a really likeable bloke, I think he was as gutted to be leaving as we were  :smitten:

Much better than Shearer in the air, not even fit for comparison. Hell of a striker.

There is an argument he was bettter.. But no way he is 'much better than Shearer in the air. '

Agree with this. Utter beast of a striker was Les, especially for us. In the box, driving in to the box with the ball. Such great composure running with the ball at his feet at speed. And then that finish. would kill for a striker like him at present.

Guest reefatoon

I don't. He was great in the air from set pieces but from open play he was totally inferior to Les.

He might have been inferior to Les, but Shearer was still great in the air from open play.  The only defender that seemed to get the better of him was Sol Campbell.

Guest reefatoon

I don't. He was great in the air from set pieces but from open play he was totally inferior to Les.

He might have been inferior to Les, but Shearer was still great in the air from open play.  The only defender that seemed to get the better of him was Sol Campbell.

Shearer wasn't inferior to Les as a striker and he was brilliant in the air. Don't get me wrong, les was brilliant but shearer was a better player, born out by the fact he's known as a world great.

I meant in the air in open play not in general mate.

Guest reefatoon

Shearer wasn't inferior to Les as a striker and he was brilliant in the air. Don't get me wrong, les was brilliant but shearer was a better player, born out by the fact he's known as a world great.

I meant in the air in open play not in general mate.

:thup: fair one. I'm not even sure he was tbf, Shearer was brilliant in the air

Interesting one.  No one used to hang in the air like Ferdinand, he seemed to float sometimes.  His leap too was unreal, could really get up high.  For me, Shearer muscled defenders into making mistakes, and him winning headers, but I thought Sir Les had the better leap to get up there.

Don't get me wrong, they were both absolutely fantastic at it and a nightmare for defenders. Staggering too, when both blokes are under 6ft.