Newcastle United 1 - 0 Norwich - 23/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 35

Beren

A very lucky win for us, but a win is a win and I'll happily take it. Ba and Ben Arfa magic, again to save our arse.

What was lucky? We defended solidly & shouldve scored more.

Clean sheets arent lucky if the opposition cant outplay your defence.

If Holt had started they would have scored at least 3, no question in my mind.

Based on what? The endless chances he created?

He's taking the piss

:lol: I'm not.  He would have tucked away any of those headers others missed in the first half. 

Given how he bossed us around last year I'm shocked he didn't start.

The end result is you're on 8 points from 5 games, with 3 of those games being ones where most people would agree were among your harder games this year. The general consensus is you've not played well but you're only 2 points behind us for example, and we've been (bar West Brom) very good.

The point on Monday and the win today - however scrappy - should now see you kick on. Dunno what's going on with Cisse though?

Also, if you did play crap and won, what does that say about Norwich? They look doomed.

A very lucky win for us, but a win is a win and I'll happily take it. Ba and Ben Arfa magic, again to save our arse.

Both Taylor and Williamson were like lost chickens there at times and we were riding our luck.

People said that all of last season when we conceded generally no more than 1 & outscored the opposition. Its no coincidence. People just underate defensive performances in comparison to attacking as its less exciting. We won the game as they couldnt create, simple.

Cisse and Cabaye are off right now. Need to give them both Europa League football to get the confidence back.

Fuck them then. :lol:

Honestly, the idea that we owe them anything when they're playing like shite is ridiculous.  Transfer window's been and gone now, they both need to look at improving their form.

Harper 8: I'm a critic but he played well today. Dealt with pretty much everything required.

Perch 8: Love this lad like, so committed whereever he plays.

Williamson 7: One of his better games of late. Dominant performance.

Taylor 6: Solid for the most part but his positioning is woeful at times.

Santon 7: Decent.

Jonas 7: One of our better players on the ball, got stuck in as well.

Anita 6: Personally thought he got a bit lost in the midfield battle, certainly better offensively than defensively.

Cabaye 7: Much better from him today, played some really classy football.

Ben Arfa 8: Dreamy.

Ba 7: Looked sharp.

Cisse: 5 Played alright but fell to bits in the final third.

Looking back individually the players did alright, it was the overall team performance that looked disjointed.

This forum has ignoring the middle ground, so I won't call that diabolical but I would say it has notched up my worry about our long-term prospects. I said before the match that the result was more important than the performance, so I'm very grateful for the three points.

Going back to the bigger picture though, today adds credence to the view that we're a really poor team. We have incredible individuals who help us tick along and pick up points, but Pardew's coaching skills look especially shite atm.

Look at the fitness levels and hunger of sides like Everton and Swansea, look at the determination and competitive performances managers like Clarke and Hughton can eke out of limited resources... then you look what Pardew has to work with, and how negative and unattractive our football is (individual glittering performances such as HBA's notwithstanding)... it's depressing. I understand things take time, but there's barely any signs of improvement IMO. The lack of fluidity, players moving for each other, the organisation off the ball, the lack of defined roles for something as rudimentary penalty-taking.. it's infuriating.

Bringing on Obertan on, man. Why? Defending a lead after 60 minutes at home against Norwich - has he blocked out the Wolves game from his memory? Very frustrated, but I understand that while the cracks continued to be papered over the team will be be unjustifiably defended. I look forward to watching individuals on matchday, not the team. We're as poor to watch at the Mackems, but for the fact we have more flamboyant and deadly forwards.

Really disappointed. And I'm prepared to take it in the neck off the more sanguine of you on here :lol: (Cajun, I'm looking at you dude :razz:)

Both Taylor and Williamson were like lost chickens there at times and we were riding our luck.

People said that all of last season when we conceded generally no more than 1 & outscored the opposition. Its no coincidence. People just underate defensive performances in comparison to attacking as its less exciting. We won the game as they couldnt create, simple.

Maybe, still I feel a lot more confident in our defense when Colo is leading the line.

On the positive side, Harper was great. Hatem was sensational - you can really tell he is enjoying his football, and as he has previously stated in interviews - it makes him happy - and it makes fans happy!

Beren you were making similar conclusions last season game after game. We needed a win, after the pen miss it was always going to be nervy. Especially up against a side who will lump it forwards to big lads & hope it falls to them. Dont over analyze the performances at this point. A win is a win, Ba's form is coming back & Barfa is stepping up. Thats our first clean sheet.

Its loads of positives to take forwards.

Good post Beren, it's definitely quite frustrating that in situations like that - when towards the end of the first half it looks like we're playing some canny stuff and beginning to click against a poor side - that we come out for the 2nd half seemingly with the main intention being to stifle the opposition and spoil our way to the win.  Very negative.

This forum has ignoring the middle ground, so I won't call that diabolical but I would say it has notched up my worry about our long-term prospects. I said before the match that the result was more important than the performance, so I'm very grateful for the three points.

Going back to the bigger picture though, today adds credence to the view that we're a really poor team. We have incredible individuals who help us tick along and pick up points, but Pardew's coaching skills look especially shite atm.

Look at the fitness levels and hunger of sides like Everton and Swansea, look at the determination and competitive performances managers like Clarke and Hughton can eke out of limited resources... then you look what Pardew has to work with, and how negative and unattractive our football is (individual glittering performances such as HBA's notwithstanding)... it's depressing. I understand things take time, but there's barely any signs of improvement IMO. The lack of fluidity, players moving for each other, the organisation off the ball, the lack of defined roles for something as rudimentary penalty-taking.. it's infuriating.

Bringing on Obertan on, man. Why? Defending a lead after 60 minutes at home against Norwich - has he blocked out the Wolves game from his memory? Very frustrated, but I understand that while the cracks continued to be papered over the team will be be unjustifiably defended. I look forward to watching individuals on matchday, not the team. We're as poor to watch at the Mackems, but for the fact we have more flamboyant and deadly forwards.

Really disappointed. And I'm prepared to take it in the neck off the more sanguine of you on here :lol: (Cajun, I'm looking at you dude :razz:)

Superb post.