Newcastle United 1 - 0 Norwich - 23/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 35

Beren

Beren, I agree about us not looking like a team right now, however I feel we really did last season during that lovely spell towards the end. So for me, it's something that can be rectified so I'm not reaching for the razorblades just yet. :lol:

Also agree about Pardew's coaching ability, he really has to knuckle down now I feel and sort some of the guys out and give people a clearer indication as to what their roles should be. One thing I think he has to stress to the two lads up front, is that they simply have to make different runs/movement in the box, (i.e. one peeling off to the back post when a ball is played in etc), because they're getting in the way of each other too much.

I'd like to think when we have Colo back we can try again on building from the back, which obviously helps greatly in controlling the game and thusly giving us more chances. (Hopefully).

This forum has ignoring the middle ground, so I won't call that diabolical but I would say it has notched up my worry about our long-term prospects. I said before the match that the result was more important than the performance, so I'm very grateful for the three points.

Going back to the bigger picture though, today adds credence to the view that we're a really poor team. We have incredible individuals who help us tick along and pick up points, but Pardew's coaching skills look especially s**** atm.

Look at the fitness levels and hunger of sides like Everton and Swansea, look at the determination and competitive performances managers like Clarke and Hughton can eke out of limited resources... then you look what Pardew has to work with, and how negative and unattractive our football is (individual glittering performances such as HBA's notwithstanding)... it's depressing. I understand things take time, but there's barely any signs of improvement IMO. The lack of fluidity, players moving for each other, the organisation off the ball, the lack of defined roles for something as rudimentary penalty-taking.. it's infuriating.

Bringing on Obertan on, man. Why? Defending a lead after 60 minutes at home against Norwich - has he blocked out the Wolves game from his memory? Very frustrated, but I understand that while the cracks continued to be papered over the team will be be unjustifiably defended. I look forward to watching individuals on matchday, not the team. We're as poor to watch at the Mackems, but for the fact we have more flamboyant and deadly forwards.

Really disappointed. And I'm prepared to take it in the neck off the more sanguine of you on here :lol: (Cajun, I'm looking at you dude :razz:)

:thup: fucking sense.

For the first time ever this season, we did have a somewhat decent first half! For the first 45 minutes, it certainly looked like we had a lot more urgency  and we should have really been at least 2-0 up at half time (poor from Cissé but once he gets his goal, he'll be up and running again).

That second half was shaky as fuck. Got to say, I was a nervous wreck throughout. Nothing was really happening for us - it seemed as if the penalty miss knocked us back a bit (and at the same time gave Norwich a bit more confidence in that they knew they were still in the game). Our defence looked pretty solid today so that's a positive but there is still plenty of room for improvement. Improving our possession retention could be a decent starting point like...

Still though a win's a win so onwards and upwards.

Guest firetotheworks

It does show how far we've come that we can have disheartening 1-0 wins, but we'll come unstuck playing like that.

Im so sick of the whole 442 vs 4231 discussion, but nowhere near as much as I am at actually watching us play 442.

It was a mediocre performance and three points that should never have been in doubt. In reality, i don't think they were; Norwich didn't have a clear-cut chance from what i can recall*, however too much of the game was played around our own penalty box. It needn't be like that.

Can't really add anything to Beren's excellent post. We're making things difficult for ourselves at the moment and it appears to be from a culmination of things. Injuries/not fully fit. Negative mentality (from players and manager). Question marks over formation and attacking fluidity.

But let's not forget - we've achieved what i'd regard as the target points from these opening fixtures. And there's been glimpses of us looking a penetrative, dangerous team that is coherent with one another going forward. So it hasn't been a bad start by any means. Just the manager has got to get some things straight, starting with himself tbh. I haven't been particularly enamoured with the managing so far this season.

As for individual performances; i thought Perch and Jonas were absolutely terrific in our own half. Ben Arfa was the only one from our front six who looked decent, and basically won us the points again with a brilliant through ball to Ba. Thought Anita and Taylor had good games, too.

EDIT: *there was one, just after half-time, which forced a good save from Harper.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Like last season's game, a dreadful performance but the three points. Very little quality on the ball from us and it became very scrappy.

In some ways i've got no problems with a squabble over a penalty. It's a golden opportunity to add to your tally, and you'd want any goalscorer absolutely dying to take it. But really, there should be a defined taker.

Yep, as Wullie said earlier it should be agreed long before the game.

To contradict myself now, I have no real problem with Cisse taking it today if he has shown ability to put them away previously (someone mentioned he scored them quite often at Freiburg?) and the confidence could have helped us not just this game but future games.

A penalty miss in pre-season means fuck all iyam, even Shola has missed a penalty in pre-season, SHOLA!

If Cisse has form for fucking up penalties like that on a regular basis then obviously he should have been let nowhere near, confidence boosting or not.

1st game back now Im living in the Toon again..........christ we made hard work of that. Should've been atleast 2-0 up by half time and were pretty turbo s*** 2nd half. I'm all for team spirit and trying to help teammates out but can we just have a regular pen taker ffs :rant: Cisse is all over the shop at the moment. Bloke behind me made teh comment of the day saying "I think Cisse's been left at the airport and we've got the baggage handler on the pitch"  :lol:

Obertan too, dear oh dear.........just doesn't do anythign for me, doesn't take people on, can't cross, doesn't put a tackle in when needed. Absolute s****! That said we played some alright stuff 1st half and should've had the game sown up. Defending a 1-0 lead at home against Norwich though, dear oh dear. I like Perch, does his job properly and doesn't fanny about. What has Tiote doing with his turning again and again on the edge of the area :rant:

3 points is 3 points, lets hope we go to Reading a lot sharper and pressure is on them so a result is defo on the cards there. Formation doesn't look right to me but Tiote back is a massive bonus. Enjoyed being back at St James

Harper 7.5

Anita 7

Saylor 8

Williamson 8

Santon 7.5

HBA 8.5

Cabaye 5.5

Perch 7

Jonas 6.5

Cisse 3.5

Ba 7.5

Williamson 8 and Jonas 6.5 :lol:

:lol:

What?

On reflection I think i marked Williamson a little high, but he was undoubtedly the better player between him and Jonas today. Clean sheet, and Williamson actually got onto the end of some set plays today.

Harper 7.5 - did everything well although his long kicking is a bit shit at times.

Anita 7 - better at RB than CM.

Williamson 7 - solid enough, same old distribution issues

Taylor 7 - decent, especially towards the end

Santon 7 - better going forward than backwards as per

Ben Arfa 8.5 - couple of pieces of magic but at the same times needs to get his head up on occasion.

Cabaye 7 - best performance of the season. Some good mop up work and passing

Perch 7 - solid at both FB and DM.

Jonas 7.5 - ran his socks off, captains perfomance

Cisse 5 - confidence lacking

Ba 7.5 - great finish and worked hard

Subs - 6 across the board

1st game back now Im living in the Toon again..........christ we made hard work of that. Should've been atleast 2-0 up by half time and were pretty turbo s*** 2nd half. I'm all for team spirit and trying to help teammates out but can we just have a regular pen taker ffs :rant: Cisse is all over the shop at the moment. Bloke behind me made teh comment of the day saying "I think Cisse's been left at the airport and we've got the baggage handler on the pitch"  :lol:

Obertan too, dear oh dear.........just doesn't do anythign for me, doesn't take people on, can't cross, doesn't put a tackle in when needed. Absolute s****! That said we played some alright stuff 1st half and should've had the game sown up. Defending a 1-0 lead at home against Norwich though, dear oh dear. I like Perch, does his job properly and doesn't fanny about. What has Tiote doing with his turning again and again on the edge of the area :rant:

3 points is 3 points, lets hope we go to Reading a lot sharper and pressure is on them so a result is defo on the cards there. Formation doesn't look right to me but Tiote back is a massive bonus. Enjoyed being back at St James

So do we need to change your name?