Newcastle United 1 - 0 Club Brugge - 25/10/12 - post-match reaction from page 24

Dave

Judging off the first 40 minutes and last 10, I liked what I saw from Sammy and Obertan. Both looked very comfortable attacking today.

And Ferguson has some nice crosses.

Obertan definitely went missing for a bit but he looked a lot more like the player he could actually be. Was far more confident, tricky, used his pace which he should be doing a lot more etc..

f*** off Cole you absolute w*****!

What he say?, I changed over.

Basically listed our best players and said if they keep playing to the best of their ability big clubs will come in for them. Obvious but no need.

Guest neesy111

Cheik gave the ball away so much again and can he please stop his Hollywood passes, starting to remind me of Nicky Butt when he fails them.

We're not creating enough for him imo

About sums it up, when he came in and tore the league up we was consistently creating chances every game at the moment we are struggling to create.

15 goals in 14 games in all comps is something we need to improve on.

I'm not sure that excuse can bet trotted out again after Ferguson put it on a plate for him in the first half. Even then, last season he only needed a half chance to score a wonder goal. He's low on confidence, not sure why, but he is.

Nah not tonight he should have scored tonight. I was talking about in general he has not had many chances to feed on compared to when he joined.

It's obvious he's low on confidence as well.

Fair enough I guess. I'm still not sure I agree we created much more last season. We had Ba being very clinical in the first half of the season, than Cisse in the second half. We didn't create boatloads as I can't recall them missing that many. Ba went through a similar patch and is back to full confidence and his goalscoring has returned; I'm sure Papiss will be the same. I wish they could both score at the same time though. :lol:

How many teams do you know in the world that play 2 out and out goalscorers. Ba can play other roles Cisse maybe can, can't play 2 the way the both want to play, one of them has to play wide and deeper.

Where did I suggest they need to play together? Seems only one can score goals at any one time even if they're not on the pitch together.

I all seriousness, I think Ba is more of a 4-4-2 striker, and Cisse fits 4-3-3 better. I really wish they would work better together than we've seen so far though, with Ba being the obvious choice for a deeper role.

About sums it up, when he came in and tore the league up we was consistently creating chances every game at the moment we are struggling to create.

I'm not sure that excuse can bet trotted out again after Ferguson put it on a plate for him in the first half. Even then, last season he only needed a half chance to score a wonder goal. He's low on confidence, not sure why, but he is.

Nah not tonight he should have scored tonight. I was talking about in general he has not had many chances to feed on compared to when he joined.

Fair enough I guess. I'm still not sure I agree we created much more last season. We had Ba being very clinical in the first half of the season, than Cisse in the second half. We didn't create boatloads as I can't recall them missing that many. Ba went through a similar patch and is back to full confidence and his goalscoring has returned; I'm sure Papiss will be the same. I wish they could both score at the same time though. :lol:

Maybe i exaggerated but i do feel we created more in the stage when he arrived and the last game of the season.... despite the fact Cisse was clinical i remember missing a fair few chances as ridiculous as that sounds.

Yh i'm not worried about Cisse he will be back like Ba but i do feel we need to be creating more chances as i said the goal return is not really good enough and i think that has something to do with chance creation or lack of it.

Would be great if both of them could score at same time :lol: although the world would probably end :lol:

Maybe i exaggerated but i do feel we created more in the stage when he arrived and the last game of the season.... despite the fact Cisse was clinical i remember missing a fair few chances as ridiculous as that sounds.

Yh i'm not worried about Cisse he will be back like Ba but i do feel we need to be creating more chances as i said the goal return is not really good enough and i think that has something to do with chance creation or lack of it.

Would be great if both of them could score at same time :lol: although the world would probably end :lol:

List them.

Judging off the first 40 minutes and last 10, I liked what I saw from Sammy and Obertan. Both looked very comfortable attacking today.

And Ferguson has some nice crosses.

Obertan definitely went missing for a bit but he looked a lot more like the player he could actually be. Was far more confident, tricky, used his pace which he should be doing a lot more etc..

What I also liked about Obertan tonight is that he didn't just hug the one touchline for the entire 90 minutes. He looked confident enough to switch wings, and got a lot more involved than usual. Had the look of a senior player about him trying to get us to play. MOTM for me.

List them.

:lol: you don't remember people going on about Cisse missing 1 on 1s and is a more reaction finisher and struggled when he has to think?

I would list them but i would have to go back and watch every game and i i'm not doing that but he did miss a fair few 1 on 1s in that time frame and a few others.

He didn't score every time he touched the ball he missed chances.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1201767?cc=5739

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew was delighted with his young guns as they inspired the Magpies to a narrow 1-0 Europa League win over Club Brugge at St James' Park.

Pardew made nine changes to the side that drew 1-1 at fierce rivals Sunderland in the Barclays Premier League and his fringe players certainly did not disappoint as Newcastle went three points clear atop Group D.

Gabriel Obertan scored the only goal of the game three minutes after the interval after excellent work from 20-year-old Sammy Ameobi, who was a constant menace for the Belgian side's defenders, while Shane Ferguson also shone.

"It was a great performance because that's a good team,'' Pardew told ESPN.

"They keep the ball very, very well and that's why they're top of the league, they've got experience in the team.

"But our young players shone tonight and that's what it was about. I showed faith in them because they've been doing it on the training ground.

"Do it on the training ground and you've got a chance of performing on the big stage and Sammy and Fergie have been terrific in training and they took it into the game and that's perfect for a manager.''

Pardew singled out goalscorer Obertan for special praise and added they have been grateful for the Frenchman's last two performances after he also sparkled in the Toon's last European encounter against former club Bordeaux.

"This is a guy that everybody thinks is 26, 27 because he's been in the English game so long,'' Pardew added.

"He's hardly played any games, he's still only 23. He has a fantastic future and the last two European games we owe him a big debt because we wouldn't have won without him.

"He's been terrific for us and hopefully he'll play a bigger part in the Premier League as we go along.''

To start with Harper, Ferguson, Perch, Bigirimana, Sammi and Obertan and still dominate one of the best teams in Belgium is pretty good tbh. Very comfortable evening and we never looked like we were going to lose tonight.

Definite signs that we're perhaps just starting to grind into gear and hit a little bit of form. Augurs well imo.

i dont know their team, what was it like compared to their starting lineup? do they make loads of changes for europa league the same as us or was that their strongest team?

The Belgian league is shite, read nowt in to it.

Will take that.  Win next home game and a draw at Bordeaux and we should be top come the end of the group stages. 

A few positives but Cisse not looking quite right still!! Wtf the happend?

More importantly...how pissed is the bairn? :laugh:

He likes a drink but not when he is sick. Just calpol tonight.

Didn't think we were great, but it was solid enough. We were in control for the majority of the match but still looked disjointed going forward. Frustrating when poor attacking play (and i include the continuation of hopeless set-pieces in that) make us vulnerable on the break. That happened more than once tonight and i think we might have been punished by a better team. But, like i say, we dominated large spells of the match and it's a good three points.

I was impressed with Sammy, Fergie and Obertan. The latter has been our best player in Europe this season; a constant threat. Thought our centre-mids were shite. Another totally forgettable performance from Anita; the heck's this guy all about? That shot in the first half, man. :lol:

Still not worried about Cisse. As Dave said, it's a cliche but at least he's still getting into the positions; even when we play the percentages. He should have done better with that header, but other than that he was unlucky in front of goal.

I enjoyed it in the Strawberry Corner. When i arrived i felt a touch out of place when absolutely swarmed by children, but to be fair to them, they sung their shrill little hearts out. One complaint; not enough songs about the Mackems.

Harper - 7. Not much to do but comfortable when called upon.

Santon - 7. Still zero end product but his pace was a threat.

Taylor - 7. Comfortable.

Perch - 7. As above.

Ferguson - 7. I like his crossing.

Tiote - 4. Gave the ball away far too much.

Bigi - 5. Likewise, really.

Anita - 4. I don't know what this guy offers, at all.

Sammy - 7. Great assist.

Cisse - 7. Decent link-up play, unlucky in front of goal.

Obertan - 8. Constant threat, nice finish.

Will take that.  Win next home game and a draw at Bordeaux and we should be top come the end of the group stages. 

A few positives but Cisse not looking quite right still!! Wtf the happend?

We did tonight, he would have had about 4 playing with last seasons confidence.

The excuse previously was because Ba was too selfish to play on the left, read tonight that Ba can't play upfront on his own. IMO we just need to accept he is going through a poor patch, he is too good not to re-find his touch and I am confident he will start cracking them in again.

It's a cliché but at least he's still getting into the right places. I was happy enough with his link-up play tonight as well.

Not worried at all, others are scoring goals.

:thup:

He was still dangerous so all we need to worry about is that touch coming back. Not much of a worry.

One of the best forwards in the league (Rooney) goes through plenty of spells like this and longer.

It's a bit of a case of him not being quite as good as we all thought he was going to be. He really hit a purple patch last season, with everything flying in. Luck's now turned against him a bit.

The ability is still there, but he needs more support. We seemed to know how to get the best out of him last season, but this time round we've been mucking about with several different formations, often within the same game.

only got in about half an hour ago.  Seems like AP is trying to get through the competition playing his weakest team tonight and it definitely told.  Fuck all creativity in a midfield containing Bigi, Tiote and Anita.

Bright spots were Gabby and Fergie.  Sammy was areet but he doesn't get his head up anywhere near enough, just runs himself into trouble.

Bringing Shola on and simply going 4-4-2 was a relief as it finally gave some support to Cisse, who looked isolated throughout the first half.

Tiote was absolutely diabolical.  Must have conceded possession with every pass he attempted.  Shocking.  Still struggling to see what Anita brings to the team either.